Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Single
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
I already explored almost the entire ice biome and I was not lucky enough to get the Ice Skates.
Instead of creating another world, I decided that I would get it through the Frozen Crates, but is very very very cansative to fishing in search it. Its very rare to hook one.

My equipments are Duck´s Fishing Pole, Master bite, full Angler set, Chum Bucket, Fishing and Crate Potion, and Angler Earring

And even with all these items I still have to spend time fishing to get a Frozen Crate. Fishing in lava is much easier to get the Hell Crate
Fix this please!!

see if you missed stuff in TEdit first
I wish I could find the item by conventional means provided by the game. Putting the map on TEdit is not a very cool thing ... I thought I could easily get it by fishing crates ... and it should be because it is an alternative. I did the same thing to get the Lava Charm and the Sunfury and it wasn't so tiring.

Only if I'm being very unlucky, because in all other biomes it is much easier to get the respective crates.
I would say you are being unlucky, yes. No one else has reported any issues with Frozen Crates, which is not what you'd expect if it was a systemic issue. And the fact that you can catch Frozen Crates at all rules out them being broken altogether.

I know it's not a great thing to be told, but unfortunately it's the best I can do for you.

All crates are equally rare. There's no bug here, so I've marked this issue as Working as Designed.

it is not the case for hell crate mentioned in the post

while other biome crates have same catching chance, obsidian/hell crates are much more common.

Only if I'm being very unlucky, because in all other biomes it is much easier to get the respective crates.
technically all crates except for obsidian/hell crates are equally rare with same setup.

also, as you did not mention anything about the environment set up i would remind you that the weather, moon phase, time, size of pond and luck (I mean the in-game character's Luck status) are very important for fishing. these altogether could multiply your fishing power by about 2.3 times at most, and can penalize your fishing power if not set up correctly

Last edited:
it is not the case for hell crate mentioned in the post

while other biome crates have same catching chance, obsidian/hell crates are much more common.
It comes down to the crate odds I think for other crates they have to compete for the percentage allocated for crates whereas for Obsidian crates no other crates exist so they get the full block. It seems fair to me as the counter point is you need to fish in lava in the first place.

If you want to effect crate odds for a specific crate there is I believe an optimal fishing power for biome crates too much fishing power and you will pretty much just get golden crates too low and you will just get wooden or iron crates. Crate potions are extremely recommended if looking for biome crates as they increase the odds allocated for crates which means you have more chances to get a biome crate.

It comes down to the crate odds I think for other crates they have to compete for the percentage allocated for crates whereas for Obsidian crates no other crates exist so they get the full block. It seems fair to me as the counter point is you need to fish in lava in the first place.

If you want to effect crate odds for a specific crate there is I believe an optimal fishing power for biome crates too much fishing power and you will pretty much just get golden crates too low and you will just get wooden or iron crates. Crate potions are extremely recommended if looking for biome crates as they increase the odds allocated for crates which means you have more chances to get a biome crate.
fishing items are divided into 6 rarities (plentiful, common, uncommon, rare, very rare and extreme rare according to wiki)
and the system first decide which rarity you get based on the fishing power and whether you get a crate, and then choose an item from the given rarity

with the increase of fishing power only the odds for "plentiful" got decreased. speaking of crates, that is, only the wooden crate chance got decreased, all others will increase

checked the wiki again and i noticed that i made some mistake, higher fishing power do have negative effect on low tier items since each tier is determined independently with high tier prioritize in choosing items. but this does not affect biome chests anyway since you need more than 425 fishing power to hit the threshold while the highest possible fishing power is 424 according to wiki

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom