Console Full-AFK Console Worm Food Farm

Vendidurt

Eye of Cthulhu
(WIP)

This little beauty is my Easy-mode Rotten Chunk/Vile Mushroom farm, and it works just fine if converted to a Vertebrae farm. The overall footprint is 300 wide by roughly 100 tall in a rectangle. The farm itself is 200-wide with 50 columns of sand on the sides to block outside spawns.

2014-11-16-185008.jpg

2014-11-16-185351.jpg

These images show the dart trap battery, my BFG 42! (44, more accurately). This is the killing machine. Those corrupted beasts never stood a chance!

To start it, simply flick the lever to release a bird and keep walking to the right nonstop. The bird flies across several evenly-spaced pressure plates and activates each column of dart traps in a good rhythm before hitting a final button and quickly and painlessly removing himself from the machine via another trap built just for him!
Before, I didnt use a bird and just manually turned on all 7 timers but it is hard to time it properly so I let my bird, who is much better at this than I am, do the work for me.
The dart traps in front have been set to the background by Actuators so the ones behind can shoot through. Activate them once with an actuator and then remove the actuator. They will continue to shoot just fine but will be "background" objects so everything can pass through.

The two normal, non "super" traps in the shooting mechanism are only there to clear out the corruption thorns. They look ugly and may or may not impact spawning. They are set one block behind the traps set to fire so the weak ones do not accidentally hit the monsters instead. If making a Crimson farm they are not needed. Also, if one has access to more Super Dart Traps one can use them instead and line them up for a cleaner look.

You will see small red blocks on my walking path. Those are honey block speedbumps that keep me moving at a slow pace. Slow is good. They are 4-5 blocks apart to guarantee I cannot walk too fast. The path lasts 200 blocks and stops at a teleporter with a pressure plate on top. That teleporter will take you to the one you can see here so you can jam a popsicle stick in your analog stick and leave it on overnight.

2014-11-16-185528.jpg

2014-11-16-185519.jpg

This is the top of the machine, and one I have yet to see from anyone else. These 12 rows of corrupted grass pop mushrooms up left and right. All the rows are hooked to actuators (and this part makes it rather expensive). Mushrooms drop to the same place you are collecting Rotten ChunksThe dart traps from below also have 2 wires sticking out. This lets me use the same timers on the darts as the grass. There are also 12 plain, ordinary dart traps also on the same wire, to shoot out corrupt thorns that just clog up the grow zones. This can be made to use any mushrooms. Just change the corrupt grass to ordinary or mushroom grass instead, and you will not need the darts here either. I use two wires instead of one because I vaguely remember seeing something about a 2000-wire limit and any single string of wires bigger will not work properly. Please tell me if I am mistaken.

This machine gives you all the Worm Food you can eat, but is it useful in any other way? Two at least!

1. Spawn the Eater of Worlds in the middle of the machine and it will shred, absolutely MANGLE the Eater for you.
2. Built close to the center, this will eradicate any Goblins or Pirates that decide to pay a friendly visit.
---------
Overall Materials: A rough estimate

Advanced Dart Traps: 42 in my design, more is always better
Dart Traps: 15 here. 1 for the bird suicide button, 2 more to clear thorns, and 12 for 12 mushroom platforms
Teleporters: 2
Actuators: 2400-2500.
Wires: Roughly 3000. Could be more.

There are so many wires and actuators for the mushroom spawns. Literally 200 of each for one line of them. Make less if necessary, but do not be afraid to invest in this.
---------
Benefits

Unending supplies of Worm Food/Mushrooms
Enough Eater of Soul banners to become an annoyance
Full sets of Ancient Shadow Armor
Immunity from Pirates
The envy of everyone and their dog.
----------

Please leave feedback as I take all criticism constructively. This farm was made in a dedicated world which is going to stay in Easymode. Please ask any questions you may have, and anybody on PSN can check my farm out if they so choose. PSN name= Vendidurt

When adding me please be sure to tell me you are from this forum or I will likely ignore you.
----------

Last edited:
Looking good - with fewer build options on mobile you're making the most of things!

I always meant to ask in the console/mobile forums: does hoiking work at all? Because if so, there is a collection method that can be set up in lieu of the PC-only minecarts to make your farm completely automated if that's something you're interested in incorporating. Let me know and I'll post the suggestion.

Looking good - with fewer build options on mobile you're making the most of things!

I always meant to ask in the console/mobile forums: does hoiking work at all? Because if so, there is a collection method that can be set up in lieu of the PC-only minecarts to make your farm completely automated if that's something you're interested in incorporating. Let me know and I'll post the suggestion.
I know next to nothing about Hoik. How could one test it in a simple manner?

You can read about hoiks here:

http://forums.terraria.org/index.ph...c-etc-transport-using-only-sloped-tiles.1656/

They are essentially a glitch so might not be everyone's wish to use them, but ZeroGravitas and I have built quite a few things with them already since they enable a lot of interesting constructions. The easiest way to set up a hoik and see if it works on mobile is to build a bottom hoik that's illustrated in diagram 3 of the guide under "Bottom" E. That hoik consists of teeth with vertices pointing to the right and down when shaped with a hammer - does mobile permit shaping with hammers?

I dont know mobile but console does. You must keep the bottom surface flat. Cant angle the ceiling. I will look at your link and get back to you.

EDIT: I can only slope the floor of a block. Im not sure if any of these can be built on console.

EDIT2: Okay, I am figuring it out. I am able to hoik myself up a bit. I will test further....

Last edited:
Cant angle the ceiling
Ahhhh....I really should make a note of this at the top of my hoik guide then; downward slopes were added to the PC after the upwards ones, too. Which console are you on? And does anyone know if it's the same for all of those platforms? (madness!)

I am on Vita and I assume they are the same all across the board. Im going to probably implement the item hoik into my farm if I can. I just.... have to try to understand it better. I hoik'd myself up 3 "teeth" so I know that part works in console.

Review:

After visiting the farm I realized that the description definitely isn't exaggerated! According to vendidurt we went through an entire stack of worm food in a minute! From this one short trip I collected a: shadow headpiece and chestpeice, 3 stacks of demonite, 5 stacks of shadow scales, 36 eos banners, a eaters bone and 2 trophys. The wiring is simple, yet effective and could easily be but together with little effort required. Vendidurt used a bird engine to power the darts and used a dart trap over a ghost wall next to lava to dispose of the bird. That's all there is to say really and if you own console it is well worth visiting! Bye!

One teensy correction - the bird died from a dart trap next to a pressure plate, not lava. But aside from that he is not exaggerating and neither am I. Imagine jamming a popsicle stick into the analog stick and leaving it on overnight.

Zemmy, did you ever end up with the shadow greaves you wanted? I may have one in my main world.

Oh I think you misunderstood when I said "over" I meant "instead of". I couldn't see the bird because of connection errors, same with delays. I didn't get them but it's no rush to.

Last edited:
Ah. Of course. I used to hit all 7 guns by myself but the arrows were too inconsistent. That bird cloner saved me a lot of effort and the darts are much more evenly spaced than I can.

Also the indicator lights by the timers - one detail I forgot. When you turn off the device try to make sure the lights are in ON position. That way the mushroom platforms are active, not actuated behind. They will not grow on background platforms obviously. That was one feature I forgot to say until now.

EDIT: in post #3 of this thread you can see my map image. In the walking platform below there are dark blue areas from the left to about 2/3 the way through. Those are all Eater Banners except the tiny dots. Those are all water candles.

Also I will add a line or two of Lizhard bricks in the dirt to make it have the same spawn rates as jungle. I will see if it makes a difference. Already during a blood moon my rates are IN-sane.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom