Full Steam Ahead! tModLoader to Launch as Free DLC for Terraria with Journey's End!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is great news for the modding community, i do hope that doesn't generate any conflict with steam's guidelines and the like, the fear of mods becoming 'official' generally comes from having to adhere to copyright rules and such, hope this doesn't limit the modding community in any way~

What about the unofficial TML 64? With TML being "official" now many people will be disturbed by the limit of 4GB they had no idea about before. Will you try and, well, go for the 64 bit version?
You can still install the 64 bit version over this new tmod. The current line about official tmod support from the devs is "mayb in the future, we will see".
1. Does this mean tModloader will be standalone from real Terraria, IE it doesn't affect the launcher for the main game once you have it installed (I always hated how it was always one or the other)

2. How are the crew behind tModloader being compensated?
1. Yes, it is standalone.
2. They aren't at this time - just like it was before this official partnership, tmodloader is entirely volunteer driven (like the forum staff!) and open sourced.

Last edited:
So I'll assume that when you launch the game from steam, it will ask you if you want to launch Vanilla, or TModLoader?

That means I won't have to worry about using GameLauncher which is horribly out of date so I don't have to keep renaming .exe files.

I've been copying the Terraria folder to a separate directory for modding and pinning the Terraria exe to my taskbar. This way, launching Terraria via Steam still opens the unmodded version. Steam doesn't care where an executable is located as long as you're launching it with Steam.

Also, regarding 64bit chat, I actually had to revert to the 32bit version as the 64bit was causing frequent crashes with the mod list I have. Haven't seen a single crash with the 32bit version.

Official 64bit modding support would be really nice...

So speaking as the leader of the 64bit project. Would this make 64bit kinda harder to install with the fact that steam will delete 64bit if the normal tML update? Which would also mean that everyone using it currently would most than likely be forced to either wait for a 64bit update or reinstall their terraria completely to play 32bit tML.

Step 1: Copy the contents of the Terraria folder from the /steamapps directory to, say, /Games/64bitModdedTerraria

Step 2: Unzip the 64bit tmodloader into that directory

Step 3: Create a shortcut to the Terraria.exe in that directory and launch as normal, with Steam running.

Step 4: Never worry about anything messing with it again. No need to reinstall anything, just leave it in its own folder forever.

Step 5: I suppose that one would need to backup and restore the Modloader directory as I'm not sure if it's possible to have a separate Modloader folder for 64bit currently, but I'm sure you could make it have a config option to do its own thing.

Well this was a bit unexpected. Now I won't have to check file integrity and copy and paste files to switch back and forth between modded and vanilla. This will make things a lot easier. Can't wait to see this up and running.

YES! this is awesome! i never found out how to download TModLoader and just putting it on steam as a dlc would be EPIC!

also, to the modding community, Please be sure to check out my submission from the vanity contest. If you want to. Because i would get that mod. right away. :joy:

What about the unofficial TML 64? With TML being "official" now many people will be disturbed by the limit of 4GB they had no idea about before. Will you try and, well, go for the 64 bit version?
TML 64 bit will still co-exist alongside the steam and non-steam variants of TML
There are no plans to merge them officially into our repository though.

I wonder if there will ever be one for mobile
Highly unlikely

This is great news for the modding community, i do hope that doesn't generate any conflict with steam's guidelines and the like, the fear of mods becoming 'official' generally comes from having to adhere to copyright rules and such, hope this doesn't limit the modding community in any way~
Since our browser is still ours, you can still do pretty much everything you do now.
However once there is Steam Workshop integration, you will have to adhere to Steam Workhop ToS if you upload to that.

I haven't even used mods yet and I'm excited! Also I play on console, so if I ever get the chance to get Terraria on PC, I'll be using this too. :)

I still have questions regarding vanilla servers and how this will affect them. Will the mods disable once entering a server or will you not be able to enter the server at all and have to setup a different version of Terraria without the DLC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom