Full Steam Ahead! tModLoader to Launch as Free DLC for Terraria with Journey's End!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't seen anything mentioned about this, so I'll ask these 2 questions here:

1. If an update to tModloader becomes available, will we be able to halt the update to it and still play Terraria untouched in order to keep our worlds from constantly breaking any time tMod updates?

2. Will it be easy to halt each individual mod update until the user wants them to be installed?

It sounds like all downloads/updates will occur within Terraria's in-game mod menu, rather than on Steam out-of-game -- that's very good news. One thing that really worries me about mod support being tied to Steam, is the fact that Steam (in most recent years) makes it near-impossible to disable various game updates and still play said games untouched.

The best thing with not having any mod support is that when a mod updates, there was no worry of a mod updating without your knowing or consent, then completely breaking a current world you're playing on. If mods are integrated into Steam itself in any way as separate downloads outside of Terraria, this could go very badly... between tmod updates and updates to mods themselves. Modding with other games on Steam can sometimes be a nightmare whenever mods update or the games they're played on update, because you're often times forced to break your modded games on Steam because of poor handling and not allowing to halt updates. I love modding this game, but part of the reason I love modding Terraria is because it's been relatively without any headaches in my experience -- it would be unfortate to see this integration add new frustrations occurring endlessly. Hopefully it's all happening in-game, and updating mods is more or less like it always was.

This one big concern aside, I'm extremely happy about this!

1. yes (it's a steam option)
2. yes

Hurray! Finally, it will be so much easier to manage mods now, no more searching for dodgy websites just to make the guide look funnier.

This sounds amazing, but as a console player I feel like there should be some form of mod support for console.

One more question : will my character and world save files be synced in tmodloader and vanilla?
Sorry for being so inquisitive...

Will Mobile get something like this? Along with, mabye.... Some of the mods? (Avid mobile player here)
Quite a low chance, but who knows ;)

One more question : will my character and world save files be synced in tmodloader and vanilla?
Sorry for being so inquisitive...
When you first use TML theres an option to copy over your vanilla players and worlds
TML uses separate files so your vanilla saves will be unharmed

I am wondering how TML on steam and Terraria 1.4 will affect my modded Terraria worlds and characters. Will they be lost when they update to 1.4 or will they stay on the new TML. Also before I downloaded TML I made a vanilla copy of the game so that I would not lose my vanilla stuff so will having my current TML and vanilla Terraria on my pc affect how I update to 1.4.(sorry if I worded this weird or spelled something wrong).

As far as I know, the existing method of getting tML will still be available for GOG users.

GOG lets you back up previous versions of games (up to -2, I think). Now would probably be a good time to make that backup for 1.3.5.3
yes I have like 4 versions of terraria backed up or something, and a few mac versions.

tModLoader used to be avalible for GoG version but it was more limited and development from what I heard has stopped completely for it.

Really? That's very discriminating for players like us, and it's unfair. They can't just do that because of that. Because I know Steam also got pirated, not just GOG.
yes, but I have it on both steam and gog for that reason, the game is cheap enough and worth it for that.

I am wondering how TML on steam and Terraria 1.4 will affect my modded Terraria worlds and characters. Will they be lost when they update to 1.4 or will they stay on the new TML. Also before I downloaded TML I made a vanilla copy of the game so that I would not lose my vanilla stuff so will having my current TML and vanilla Terraria on my pc affect how I update to 1.4.(sorry if I worded this weird or spelled something wrong).
First, you will keep everything you have now.
There is no need to backup anything, especially not if you plan on downloading TML through Steam :)

Is there a way to have two terraria’s a vanilla and modded
The Steam versions will be treated as separate "games", with separate save folders for worlds and players, making it easy to switch between them.

---------

In case you've all missed it, the Steam page is now public:

**** PLEASE DON'T FREAK OUT ABOUT THE RELEASE DATE ON THIS PAGE - IT IS INCORRECT ****

Steam tModLoader will be released/available at the same time that 1.4 Journey's End is released - I've confirmed this. May 16th is the date, exact time to be determined.

Right now, about all you can do with this page is to add tModLoader to your Steam wishlist.

edit: the Steam store page now shows the correct release date.

Last edited:
C: the possible outcomes are endless...….

Golf in calamity.

the new bosses with thorium stuff......

Using the losing finalists that got modded in with the winning ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom