Game Mechanics Functional Team Blocks

Snickerbobble

The Painter
I've been wondering, why is there a set of team blocks that have no function related to teams? Just one tile with paint could have done, but what if they had some functional use in teams and PvP?

Luckily I play another game with a similar function, so I'll be using it for example:

iyHP0c0.png

Here's me near a "red team base" that's locked away since I'm not in the red team. I'm also unable to reach that high platform as the steps up there are toggled off for me. The "solid" blocks used as a door are known as "door blocks" in this game, while the "unsolid" ones are known as "gate blocks."

But if I join the red team (which is what the red button does)...

gLmRIMf.png

The door opens up for me and the steps become solid! I now have access to both areas. Anyone who is NOT on the red team would still see the blocks as they are in picture 1. Think of it as an actuator toggle that only applies for a single team color.

ur9NEes.png

Now I've added the blue base and steps, which I can't access while on the red team (or any team besides blue).

kI8EVPQ.png
7C7LjTo.png

Here I've joined as another character to show the state of the blocks in both team perspectives. In picture A, Azure's on red team and can't enter blue base or use blue steps, but in picture B, since Bobble is on blue, Bobble can, but can't use red while Azure can.

The gray door blocks I added there are basically the team blocks for teamless members. With no team assigned, they'll be solid, when on a team, they're unsolid. This lets teamless and red team access the red platform, and teamless and blue team access to the blue platform, but teamless cannot enter either base while the teams can enter their respective ones.

E1jhPuZ.png

Azure left the red team here, with Bobble still on blue. So the gray and red blocks are inactive for Bobble, with blue active, and for Azure only the gray blocks are active.

Now as for Terraria, the current team blocks would act as the active blocks, where only Red could pass through Red, and be known as "Red Active Blocks." They could be craftable into "Red Inactive Blocks" and so on for the other team colors. For even more functionality, perhaps actuators could toggle the state of Active <-> Inactive, so that if a block is active to you and inactive to an enemy team, the states would reverse.

Active and Inactive Stone blocks could potentially be repurposed for this idea, working as another Teamless block (and then stone + actuators would replace them in world gen), however this would break existing boulder traps, so I'm unsure on this right now.

This could allow for some fun team maps and PvP, with the ability to lock off areas from certain teams, or opening up pathways for specific teams, all without the need for wire. What do you think?

Last edited:
I've been wondering, why is there a set of team blocks that have no function related to teams? Just one tile with paint could have done, but what if they had some functional use in teams and PvP?

Luckily I play another game with a similar function, so I'll be using it for example:

iyHP0c0.png

Here's me near a "red team base" that's locked away since I'm not in the red team. I'm also unable to reach that high platform as the steps up there are toggled off for me. The "solid" blocks used as a door are known as "door blocks" in this game, while the "unsolid" ones are known as "gate blocks."

But if I join the red team (which is what the red button does)...

gLmRIMf.png

The door opens up for me and the steps become solid! I now have access to both areas. Anyone who is NOT on the red team would still see the blocks as they are in picture 1. Think of it as an actuator toggle that only applies for a single team color.

ur9NEes.png

Now I've added the blue base and steps, which I can't access while on the red team (or any team besides blue).

kI8EVPQ.png
7C7LjTo.png

Here I've joined as another character to show the state of the blocks in both team perspectives. In picture A, Azure's on red team and can't enter blue base or use blue steps, but in picture B, since Bobble is on blue, Bobble can, but can't use red while Azure can.

The gray door blocks I added there are basically the team blocks for teamless members. With no team assigned, they'll be solid, when on a team, they're unsolid. This lets teamless and red team access the red platform, and teamless and blue team access to the blue platform, but teamless cannot enter either base while the teams can enter their respective ones.

E1jhPuZ.png

Azure left the red team here, with Bobble still on blue. So the gray and red blocks are inactive for Bobble, with blue active, and for Azure only the gray blocks are active.

Now as for Terraria, the current team blocks would act as the active blocks, where only Red could pass through Red, and be known as "Red Active Blocks." They could be craftable into "Red Inactive Blocks" and so on for the other team colors. For even more functionality, perhaps actuators could toggle the state of Active <-> Inactive, so that if a block is active to you and inactive to an enemy team, the states would reverse.

Active and Inactive Stone blocks could potentially be repurposed for this idea, working as another Teamless block (and then stone + actuators would replace them in world gen), however this would break existing boulder traps, so I'm unsure on this right now.

This could allow for some fun team maps and PvP, with the ability to lock off areas from certain teams, or opening up pathways for specific teams, all without the need for wire. What do you think?
Oh man, I completely forgot about this game.
Full support on my end.

Very nice suggestion. I was going to make a suggestion about a similar topic, but seeing as the idea of teams being slightly useless is covered here, I might as well pitch some ideas to you first and see if you want to add them.

Terraria, while technically allowing for multiplayer, is not built for competitive multiplayer... yet there are teams. Those teams are apparently only for minigames without any use in game beyond wormhole potions. If you ever try to play competitively (tried once with my brother... ow that was stupid) you will soon discover a fatal flaw. Only one team is going to get each type of NPC, but if you can infiltrate their base... the NPCs nor their chests care? I suggest allowing not only for limiting access to places based on team as you suggest, but also to having team keys for private access chests, team-based NPCs who will treat other players (save maybe teamless) as hostiles, and can be killed by them, and having a tad bit stricter rules on the joining and leaving of teams. That is, you should only be able to join a team as you currently can if it is empty, and if anyone else is in it, you would have to request access to prevent people quick switching teams to loot other teams chests. Finally, teams should only get grab-bags from bosses in expert mode if their team helped. I'm not sure how it currently works, but I'm fairly sure all online players get loot, that should only go to the team(s) that fought it. Finally (again), players should be able to purchase trading posts from the merchant which when placed would be colored based on your team at the time, and you would then be able to put items in as well as prices for them. This would be able to run out of stock, and you couldn't sell items to it, but it provides a safer, offline way of trading with other teams.

Anyway, just a kinda short suggestion relating to yours. If you think it fits in well with your idea feel free to add it; if I misinterpreted, and you think that it wouldn't fit, please tell me so, and I will make a new suggestion about it.

Very nice suggestion. I was going to make a suggestion about a similar topic, but seeing as the idea of teams being slightly useless is covered here, I might as well pitch some ideas to you first and see if you want to add them.

Terraria, while technically allowing for multiplayer, is not built for competitive multiplayer... yet there are teams. Those teams are apparently only for minigames without any use in game beyond wormhole potions. If you ever try to play competitively (tried once with my brother... ow that was stupid) you will soon discover a fatal flaw. Only one team is going to get each type of NPC, but if you can infiltrate their base... the NPCs nor their chests care? I suggest allowing not only for limiting access to places based on team as you suggest, but also to having team keys for private access chests, team-based NPCs who will treat other players (save maybe teamless) as hostiles, and can be killed by them, and having a tad bit stricter rules on the joining and leaving of teams. That is, you should only be able to join a team as you currently can if it is empty, and if anyone else is in it, you would have to request access to prevent people quick switching teams to loot other teams chests. Finally, teams should only get grab-bags from bosses in expert mode if their team helped. I'm not sure how it currently works, but I'm fairly sure all online players get loot, that should only go to the team(s) that fought it. Finally (again), players should be able to purchase trading posts from the merchant which when placed would be colored based on your team at the time, and you would then be able to put items in as well as prices for them. This would be able to run out of stock, and you couldn't sell items to it, but it provides a safer, offline way of trading with other teams.

Anyway, just a kinda short suggestion relating to yours. If you think it fits in well with your idea feel free to add it; if I misinterpreted, and you think that it wouldn't fit, please tell me so, and I will make a new suggestion about it.
For the chest part, that why safes and co. exist. For the NPC part, it actually adds a layer of strategy: if you want to keep the NPCs at your base, one of your team has to remain at base, and so you lose one member for attack.

Back
Top Bottom