PC game constantly crashes for no discernable reason

maebae

Terrarian
hi, this is sort of a last resort. i have abysmal luck with terraria on pc. when i first played the steam version in 2019, i had to restart multiple times because of corrupted game files. a few pcs later, i find myself having another game breaking issue. i have played terraria on this pc before and had no problems, I am playing on an MSI GF75 thin gaming laptop with 16 gb of ram installed. I also use an additional monitor, which i have heard can cause crashing issues? The game has also now started resetting my achievements each time i repoen it. When the game does crash, it will typically be midgameplay, it will freeze and then close, and give me no error messages. Often when choosing the save and exit option, the game will freeze and crash when the game says "Saving Map Data 100%" .when i reopen, it usually is character progress that i have lost, not map or world progress. I also rarely (if ever) see the new sunflower autosave icon.

Device name MSI
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10300H CPU @ 2.50GHz 2.50 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce 1650 Ti

i have tried many things including but not limited to:
-unchecking the read only box in documents/mygames/terraria (it always seems to go back to being checked after i close it despite me clicking apply and ok)
-giving terraria administrator permission and running it as an administrator
-running terraria in windows 8 compatibility mode
-giving steam administrator permission/ running it as an administrator
-reinstalling my xna framework and checking to make sure i didnt have more than one installed (as apparently that has caused issues for another user)
-completely reinstalling terraria at least 10 times
-verifying integrity of game files through steam at least ten times
-setting terraria to high priority in the task manager
-applying the 4gb patch to terraria
-lowering settings to lowest possible
-deleting config.json file (i do not have a config.dat file)
-setting terraria to windowed mode (i use two monitors and apparently this can cause issues for some players)
-setting terraria to use the high-performance NVIDIA processor within the NVIDIA control panel
-updating all of my drivers using avast driver updater
- turning off steam cloud saves
-turning off steam overlay and discord overlay

anyways, i would probably give you a kidney if anyone could help me fix this. i may have to edit this thread because its honestly difficult to remember all that i have done to try to fix this.

Well, after what you’ve done, I would be surprised if your Terraria ever ran again. Anyways, try using the game in fullscreen
im honestly amazed it does

and i will thank you! ive also tried closing my wallpaper engine app before running the game and it seems to be helping. but its hard to tell since the game will crash within 5 minutes one time and then last an hour the next.

Sorry I don't have a solution, but I'm experiencing the same exact thing. I'm on Windows 11 and Terraria is basically unplayable from crashes (mainly when I save and exit). Tried basically everything you tried as well (plus a LOT of other things) and nothing is working. I'll update if I find a solution, let me know if you figure something out!

Back
Top Bottom