Switch Game crashes when entering right side of hell

Oliverbigman

Terrarian
I play terraria on a Nintendo switch with a large normal world and whilst exploring hell on the right side of the map, the game crashed. I thought this was a one-off so I tried again and it crashed. I came back later in hard mode and the same thing happened.

Any clue as to why this happens?

This is where I can get up to in hell but the rest crashes:
image.jpg

I play terraria on a Nintendo switch with a large normal world and whilst exploring hell on the right side of the map, the game crashed. I thought this was a one-off so I tried again and it crashed. I came back later in hard mode and the same thing happened.

Any clue as to why this happens?

This is where I can get up to in hell but the rest crashes:
View attachment 305487
Try zooming all the way out before entering that area.

Got the same problem but on the surface in the ocean biome.
Happens every time I go too far to the east, tried about 5 times now.
The map even shows a water treasure chest but the game crashes before I reach it.
The western side is fine, no problem there.

Try zooming all the way out before entering that area.
Not sure what you mean but I'm also rather new to the game.
Zooming on the minimap? It's the same size ever time I open it.

Got the same problem but on the surface in the ocean biome.
Happens every time I go too far to the east, tried about 5 times now.
The map even shows a water treasure chest but the game crashes before I reach it.
The western side is fine, no problem there.

Not sure what you mean but I'm also rather new to the game.
Zooming on the minimap? It's the same size ever time I open it.
The right ocean is a known issue on Switch. :)

To zoom, press settings, then look in the bottom of your screen and it’ll show you the control to use to zoom in and out. I think. Also on Switch you may be able to pinch the touchscreen?

To zoom, press settings, then look in the bottom of your screen and it’ll show you the control to use to zoom in and out. I think. Also on Switch you may be able to pinch the touchscreen?
To zoom in and out on Switch, press + on the right Joycon, and press ZL/ZR depending on whether you want to zoom in or out. ZL zooms out, ZR zooms in. And yes, pinching your fingers in and out on the screen works, although be careful when doing this, as it can use the item you're holding, and can also unintentionally open the full map view.

The zoom starts off slightly lower than fully out, and believe me, once you zoom out fully, it's a lot better than the default zoom.

This something I find deeply frustrating about modern software development: "This is a known problem, here's a workaround "

If it's known, why does it not get fixed?

The PS4 version has game breaking bugs on local splitscreen. It essentially becomes unplayable. These bugs have been an issue since 1.3 release and yet after all this time they haven't been addressed.

3 years.

That's how long it has been since 1.3 was released on PS4. 3 years later I am still having to "work around" these bugs.

It's ok though, the 1.4 rewrite (coming "soon") will fix these issues. Maybe. But even if they don't, we'll come up with another workaround, which will keep you going until... well, who can say?

When a company says "Here's a workaround", I hear "We realise there's a problem, but we can't be bothered to fix it. Thanks for your money though."

Workarounds should be a temporary solution with an imminent fix, not a permanent feature.

Forgive me. This isn't aimed at the developers, or yourself, in any way. It's sheer frustration at still not being able to play a game I love properly.

This something I find deeply frustrating about modern software development: "This is a known problem, here's a workaround "

If it's known, why does it not get fixed?

The PS4 version has game breaking bugs on local splitscreen. It essentially becomes unplayable. These bugs have been an issue since 1.3 release and yet after all this time they haven't been addressed.

3 years.

That's how long it has been since 1.3 was released on PS4. 3 years later I am still having to "work around" these bugs.

It's ok though, the 1.4 rewrite (coming "soon") will fix these issues. Maybe. But even if they don't, we'll come up with another workaround, which will keep you going until... well, who can say?

When a company says "Here's a workaround", I hear "We realise there's a problem, but we can't be bothered to fix it. Thanks for your money though."

Workarounds should be a temporary solution with an imminent fix, not a permanent feature.

Forgive me. This isn't aimed at the developers, or yourself, in any way. It's sheer frustration at still not being able to play a game I love properly.
I completely understand the frustration. From what I understand of the ocean crash it was first reported, then fixed (100% fixed in dev kits, could not be reproduced), but when that patch was released the ocean crash was still present (in the non-devkits that everyone plays on). So it was reported again, but since that time until now the development has changed hands from Pipeworks to DR Studios. And we are awaiting the new DR Studios version like you mentioned.

For other bugs that are known but not fixed yet I can’t say for sure - some may be too hard to track down, some may be complex like getting multiplayer to play nice, some may have been a lower priority and other things received all the dev time, hard to say. I will mention though, that from the work I’ve seen from DR Studios on Mobile, they are extremely responsive and I am excited to see what they do with console.

I’ve had the same problem on switch but not just in hell on any world thats bigger then small going to ethier side of the world is like a game death sentence which I find really sucks I’ve although have been have a problem with The stairs have the wrong art at the wrong time

To zoom in and out on Switch, press + on the right Joycon, and press ZL/ZR depending on whether you want to zoom in or out. ZL zooms out, ZR zooms in. And yes, pinching your fingers in and out on the screen works, although be careful when doing this, as it can use the item you're holding, and can also unintentionally open the full map view.

The zoom starts off slightly lower than fully out, and believe me, once you zoom out fully, it's a lot better than the default zoom.
This doesn’t work, I zoomed all of the way out and it still crashed...

Back
Top Bottom