Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Single
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
Almost every time I go to save my game it crashes. This issue only started to occur after downloading 1.4.4; I have tried to remedy it by restarting my computer, clearing cookies and cache + additional space, uninstalling and reinstalling, verifying game files and making it so the game is selected to read only in documents on my pc - but nothing has worked so far. Whenever my game crashes in the midst of saving, I lose all my progress. If auto save is on, the game crashes when I die. Earlier the game crashed while I was running through my house, but it has not occurred since; seems to be a consistent bug whenever going to save the game:/

I have the same problem and this is the crash log.

Attachments

• Log_20220929130220547.log
    4.1 KB · Views: 239
Almost every time I go to save my game it crashes. This issue only started to occur after downloading 1.4.4; I have tried to remedy it by restarting my computer, clearing cookies and cache + additional space, uninstalling and reinstalling, verifying game files and making it so the game is selected to read only in documents on my pc - but nothing has worked so far. Whenever my game crashes in the midst of saving, I lose all my progress. If auto save is on, the game crashes when I die. Earlier the game crashed while I was running through my house, but it has not occurred since; seems to be a consistent bug whenever going to save the game:/

I have the same problem and this is the crash log.

Can you try disabling any Antivirus software you have running, along with any file sync programs like Google Drive or Dropbox and try again?

I've been having the same problem too, it happens when the game tries to autosave or when I leave a world and it saves then. Most of the time I lose considerable progress because of it.

Edit: I'll also add that it only seems to happen with worlds created since 1.4.4. My old worlds don't have this issue for some reason.

Here's my log:

Attachments

• Log_20220929132032147.log
    3.8 KB · Views: 63
I have crashes too, items lost from inventory. Event viewer says following on .net error in application logs:

Application: Terraria.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.IO.IOException
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32, System.String)
at System.IO.File.InternalCopy(System.String, System.String, Boolean, Boolean)
at System.IO.File.Copy(System.String, System.String, Boolean)
at Terraria.Utilities.FileUtilities.Copy(System.String, System.String, Boolean, Boolean)
at Terraria.Player.InternalSavePlayerFile(Terraria.IO.PlayerFileData)
at Terraria.Player+<>c__DisplayClass1877_0.<SavePlayer>b__0()
at Terraria.Utilities.FileUtilities.ProtectedInvoke(System.Action)
at Terraria.Player.SavePlayer(Terraria.IO.PlayerFileData, Boolean)
at Terraria.WorldGen.SaveAndQuitCallBack(System.Object)
at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.WaitCallback_Context(System.Object)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()
at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback()

@Timbercat1 please end the world file you can't save.

@Muhvi - Mhvi Please send the player file you can't save, as well as any instructions on how to reproduce the issue.
Does it happen if you just enter a world and then save and quit immediately?
Do you need a certain item in your inventory or accessory slots?

If you would like a more direct line of support, please message me on Discord (Chicken Bones#6864)

@stas.cc Please try the attached build and send me a new crash log
To install, open the zip and replace the Terraria.exe in your steam installation directory with the one in the zip.

Attachments

• Terraria-1441-morecrashlogging.zip
    5.5 MB · Views: 79
Can you try disabling any Antivirus software you have running, along with any file sync programs like Google Drive or Dropbox and try again?
I tried it and I disabled my dropbox and it work. Then I didn't play for a couple of hours and now the game crashed without dropbox.

Attachments

• Log_20220929231116543.log
    4.4 KB · Views: 37
@Timbercat1 can you confirm whether this world is a cloud save or not?
Yes, it is a cloud save world. I can try disabling that and see if it still produces the same result.

Edit: Okay, so it looks like the problem only exists on worlds with cloud saves enabled. I've been playing on the world that I was playing on earlier with no problems now that cloud saving is off.

Here's the world file too:

Attachments

• 1_4_4_Baybeeeee.wld
    11.2 MB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Still happening for me on 1.4.4.2. It seems like the autosave is randomly failing 15-30 minutes into a session. When I come back to my game after a crash, it has obviously autosaved before as only a little progress is lost.
  • I have Steam Cloud disabled for Terraria.
  • Happens in single player mode.
  • Happens on a toon and world created in 1.4.4.2
  • I don't have any file sync programs like OneDrive looking at the folder.
  • I have Windows Defender antivirus.

Exceptions:

at Terraria.Utilities.FileUtilities.Copy(System.String, System.String, Boolean, Boolean)
at Terraria.Player.InternalSavePlayerFile(Terraria.IO.PlayerFileData)
at Terraria.Player+<>c__DisplayClass1877_0.<SavePlayer>b__0()
at Terraria.Player.SavePlayer(Terraria.IO.PlayerFileData, Boolean)
at Terraria.WorldGen.saveToonWhilePlayingCallBack(System.Object)
at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.WaitCallback_Context(System.Object)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()

-----

at Terraria.IO.WorldFile.DoRollingBackups(System.String)
at Terraria.IO.WorldFile.InternalSaveWorld(Boolean, Boolean)
at Terraria.IO.WorldFile+<>c__DisplayClass57_0.<SaveWorld>b__0()
at Terraria.IO.WorldFile.SaveWorld(Boolean, Boolean)
at Terraria.IO.WorldFile.SaveWorld()
at Terraria.WorldGen.saveAndPlayCallBack(System.Object)

I have attached a DxDiag log of my machine, as well as a player and map it crashes on.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    90.2 KB · Views: 49
  • Desune.plr
    3.8 KB · Views: 62
  • The_Bloopy_Hope_of_Apricots.wld
    11.2 MB · Views: 36
I have disabled antivirus software and I have completely removed one drive from my pc, also disabled steam cloud. I have also updated to 1.4.4.2, but I am still having recurring issues with the game crashing. It was working for about 15 minutes after I completely removed one drive but it started to crash again. I am not able to find the crash report, I have been looking everywhere for it and googled it a few times with no luck

Also facing the same issue. Even after disabling antivirus and cloud saves. One thing I observed was that the world backup was successful but the character backup was not, because some stuff I picked up right before the crash was gone from both the chest and my character. Please let me know if I can help in any way (like with logs).

I've been having the same exact issues as above ever since 1.4 if you look through my post history. My game will crash randomly on save/exit or when I die. Are there any solutions at the moment?

It will happen almost all the time when I save or die, I have had the game crash a few other times without saving or dying, this only started happening after the newest update. Has made the game unplayable for me at this point. Last I saw the developers were aware of this and looking into it

Some people have suggested it might be a Windows 11 thing? Not sure since it's been around for a while and I basically stopped playing because of it. TModLoader works perfectly fine however (on 1.4 at least).

Back
Top Bottom