Game crashing every time I alt-tab / go fullscreen

alphard123

Terrarian
So everytime I alt tab out of Terraria, minimize it, or open a new window, the game crashes without any error message. Other than that, the game works fine, but being unable to alt tab makes the game borderline unplayable.

- If I try to go fullscreen, the game also crashes instantly.

- If I edit the config.json file so that it launches in fullscreen, it will, but the problem persists. Moreover, if I try to switch to windowed in the settings, the game also crashes instantly.

- Borderless window or with border doesn't make any difference. Same when it comes to screen resolution.

I've already tried reinstalling the game, restarting the computer, disabling antivirus and firewall, running the game on Compatibility/Admin mode, deleting the config.json file, disabling OneDrive, disabling Steam overlay. GPU is not the culprit since the problem occurs both when running the game with dedicated and integrated GPU. Windows is up to date. Other games work fine, even on Steam.

When I use the 'verify files integrity' function of Steam, it says '1 file failed to validate and will be reaquired'. However, other people have said that this is irrelevant.

Any hints? What could be causing this?

EDIT: Also tried reinstalling Steam, no difference. I guess the only possibility is that some other process is blocking some functionality or corrupting some files. But, I have nothing suspicious in my computer, and I've already disabled Antivirus and Firewall. So idk. Seems like resetting the PC is the only option left

Last edited:
UPDATE: I FINALLY FIXED THIS after playing for 3 months completely unable to alt-tab or minimize the game. I almost can't believe it.

I found a post on reddit where someone said they found out their Razer RGB was causing this by looking at the log file, and indeed, I have a Razer mouse.
I actually didn't know I could get a log file, but after a quick search I found you can do that by adding -logerrors -logfile to the Steam launch options. So I did that, then I started terraria and tabbed out, which crashed the game. The log file said

Error Logging Enabled.
Resolution changed to: 1920x1080.
Razer Chroma initialized.
================
7/14/2021 12:05:20 PM: First-Chance Exception
Thread: 1 [Main Thread]
Culture: en-US
Exception: ReLogic.Peripherals.RGB.DeviceInitializationException: Corsair initialization failed with: CE_ServerNotFound
at ReLogic.Peripherals.RGB.Corsair.CorsairDeviceGroup.Initialize()
================

Corsair RGB not supported. (Can be disabled via Config.json)
================
7/14/2021 12:05:20 PM: First-Chance Exception
Thread: 1 [Main Thread]
Culture: en-US
Exception: ReLogic.Peripherals.RGB.DeviceInitializationException: LogitechGSDK failed to initialize.
at ReLogic.Peripherals.RGB.Logitech.LogitechDeviceGroup.Initialize()
================

Logitech RGB not supported. (Can be disabled via Config.json)
================
14/07/2021 12:05:20: First-Chance Exception
Thread: 10 []
Culture: en-GB
Exception: System.EntryPointNotFoundException: Unable to find an entry point named 'CreateChromaLinkEffect' in DLL 'RzChromaSDK.dll'.
at ReLogic.Peripherals.RGB.Razer.NativeMethods.CreateChromaLinkEffect(ChromaLinkEffectType effect, CustomChromaLinkEffect& effectData, Guid& effectId)
at ReLogic.Peripherals.RGB.Razer.EffectHandle.SetAsChromaLinkEffect(CustomChromaLinkEffect& effect)
================

Razer Chroma unitialized.

So I went in the config.json file and changed

"UseRazerRGB": true,

to

"UseRazerRGB": false,

and voila, problem solved. I double checked by reversing the change and the game crashed again, so this was exactly the problem.

I suppose this could also happen with other manufacturers as the config.json file contained RGB options for Razer, Logitech, Corsair, and SteelSeries, and I guess any of these could cause the game to crash on alt+tab.

EDIT: If there is no line about ' use RGB ' in your config.json file, simply add the line < "UseRazerRGB": false > somewhere in the config.json file, it will still fix the issue
I suspect the problem might be caused by mouse lightning being disabled with razer synapse.

Last edited:
dude, you literally saved my girlfriend's life. it was VERY obnoxious to play the game using an older razer blade 2015, she had the same problem as you 100%.
thank god for old forum posts.. they're the heroes we need

Hi, I've got the same problem when I'm trying to alt-tab or minimize the game only in fullscreen mode and I'm getting error only when I'm in the game,in game menu I can alat-tab the game without problems. PC configurations i7-11700K, 32GB Ram, GTX 1060 6GB and I'm using 2 monitors, main monitor is 2k resolution, second monitor Full HD.
Already tried to reinstall drivers and net. Framework also deleted config.json file and changed "UserLogitechRGB": true to false. When I'm trying to verify integrity of files in Steam i got every time the same error "1 file failed to validate and will be reacquired" also I enabled "Run this program as an administrator". The game works well only in Window mode and I've already disabled Antivirus and Firewall.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-03-26 123722.png
    Screenshot 2022-03-26 123722.png
    59.9 KB · Views: 297
Hi there, I had the same error message and this fixed it for me: Navigate to Documents\My Games\Terraria, you should see a file called config.json delete this and re-launch Terraria. Terraria should create a new fresh one and it might fix your issue. Hope this helps!

Hi there, I had the same error message and this fixed it for me: Navigate to Documents\My Games\Terraria, you should see a file called config.json delete this and re-launch Terraria. Terraria should create a new fresh one and it might fix your issue. Hope this helps!

This didn't work for me. Only the method in my third message of this thread worked.

Back
Top Bottom