Linux Game does not launch (Ubuntu 14.04 LTS)

greenking13

Terrarian
Alright, since my usually laptop is out of commission for the foreseeable future, I've decided to modify my chromebook to dual boot both Chromos and Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. I noticed that I could play Terraria, which admittedly I haven't played much of but thought I could try more since it's updated, on linux OS so I decided to download and install it. From what I can tell, all that occurs, is that in steam it states, "Terraria - Running" for a bit, with the entire system lagging until it returns to just "Terraria", having not launched the game itself. Since, I'm not all that familiar with linux or terraria, I thought I should probably head over to the official Terraria forums.

The laptop is an Acer CB3-111. My best guess at the moment, is that it might not have enough ram to even launch since it only has 2gb of real ram, but it also has 3gb of Swap.

Thank you,
Green

Note: I am unable to find a crashlog as well, due to, from what I can tell, an issue in creating a crashlog on linux os.

Small update. There is still no crashlog to speak of, and yes, I did do the ptrace instructions in terminal.

But I do have this from terminal!

(trusty)CHANGED@localhost:~$ "${HOME}/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Terraria/Terraria"
Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 105600
Steam_SetMinidumpSteamID: Caching Steam ID: 76561198118951135 [API loaded no]
OpenGL Device: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Bay Trail x86/MMX/SSE2
OpenGL Driver: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.3
OpenGL Vendor: Intel Open Source Technology Center
MojoShader Profile: glsl120
EXT_swap_control_tear unsupported. Fall back to standard VSync.
/home/CHANGED/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Terraria/Terraria: line 38: 9531 Killed ./${BASENAME}.bin.${ext} $@

I don't know how useful this is though...

Last edited:
Hi @greenking13, if you're adding new content to the thread it's okay to bump it to the top. But if you're posting for the sole purpose of moving the thread to the top, and not adding substantial new info, that's actually against the forum rules. Threads come and go, and trying to artificially keep one at the top is discouraged. Please be patient. If someone knows the answer, they'll post.

Can you link your entire spec list of your Chromebook? Most (if not all) Chromebooks have pretty :red:ty graphics and processors because of the light OS, so your Chromebook may simply not be able to launch the game. On my slightly old laptop it takes around a minute for it to actually open the Terraria window when I launch the game, so give it a few minutes.

You simply do not have the System Requirements to run the game with 2 GB of RAM. There is no knowing your Processor or Graphic Card.

Back
Top Bottom