Switch Game freezes occassionally + World not loading fix?

Darkryn

Terrarian
I bought Terraria on my Switch recently and quickly logged over 20 hours into a new world and in that time I noticed that when I jumped or had several enemies on screen that the game would freeze for roughly 5-10 seconds before continuing. Are there performance tweaks coming up to smooth the experience on Switch?

Also, I was upset when that world seemingly at random would no longer load.
I read that it is known to be caused by placing item frames or training dummies into your world, and I had just placed some before this happened so that is certainly what went wrong.

I̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶f̶i̶x̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶n̶e̶x̶t̶ ̶p̶a̶t̶c̶h̶,̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶r̶e̶l̶e̶a̶s̶e̶ ̶s̶u̶c̶h̶ ̶a̶ ̶p̶a̶t̶c̶h̶.̶ ̶T̶h̶e̶ ̶g̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶h̶a̶s̶ ̶b̶e̶e̶n̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶d̶i̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶a̶ ̶w̶e̶e̶k̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶ ̶h̶a̶l̶f̶ ̶n̶o̶w̶,̶ ̶w̶h̶i̶l̶e̶ ̶h̶i̶t̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶t̶e̶n̶ ̶b̶e̶s̶t̶ ̶s̶e̶l̶l̶e̶r̶s̶.̶ ̶I̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶l̶i̶t̶t̶l̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶c̶e̶r̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶n̶e̶w̶ ̶c̶u̶s̶t̶o̶m̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶u̶n̶t̶r̶u̶e̶ ̶i̶m̶p̶r̶e̶s̶s̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶g̶a̶m̶e̶.̶ ̶ ̶S̶h̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶w̶e̶ ̶e̶x̶p̶e̶c̶t̶ ̶a̶ ̶p̶a̶t̶c̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶w̶e̶e̶k̶?̶ ̶N̶e̶x̶t̶?̶ ̶I̶'̶m̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶p̶a̶t̶i̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶w̶a̶i̶t̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶I̶t̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶e̶a̶s̶i̶e̶r̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶I̶ ̶k̶n̶e̶w̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶I̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶t̶i̶n̶u̶e̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶t̶r̶u̶c̶t̶u̶r̶e̶s̶ ̶I̶ ̶h̶a̶d̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶n̶n̶e̶d̶.̶

Other than these problems I've had allot of fun with Terraria on the go! Thank you!

EDIT: I saw that we are waiting on Nintendo to approve the patch! so I 'striked' the unnecessary text.

Last edited:
Might sound likes a broken record but this really sucks. I have waited years until I owned a console that has 1.3. this bug is really annoying. I hope we get our world's back after the patch.

I bought Terraria on my Switch recently and quickly logged over 20 hours into a new world and in that time I noticed that when I jumped or had several enemies on screen that the game would freeze for roughly 5-10 seconds before continuing. Are there performance tweaks coming up to smooth the experience on Switch?

Also, I was upset when that world seemingly at random would no longer load.
I read that it is known to be caused by placing item frames or training dummies into your world, and I had just placed some before this happened so that is certainly what went wrong.

I̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶f̶i̶x̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶n̶e̶x̶t̶ ̶p̶a̶t̶c̶h̶,̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶r̶e̶l̶e̶a̶s̶e̶ ̶s̶u̶c̶h̶ ̶a̶ ̶p̶a̶t̶c̶h̶.̶ ̶T̶h̶e̶ ̶g̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶h̶a̶s̶ ̶b̶e̶e̶n̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶d̶i̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶a̶ ̶w̶e̶e̶k̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶ ̶h̶a̶l̶f̶ ̶n̶o̶w̶,̶ ̶w̶h̶i̶l̶e̶ ̶h̶i̶t̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶t̶e̶n̶ ̶b̶e̶s̶t̶ ̶s̶e̶l̶l̶e̶r̶s̶.̶ ̶I̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶l̶i̶t̶t̶l̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶c̶e̶r̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶n̶e̶w̶ ̶c̶u̶s̶t̶o̶m̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶u̶n̶t̶r̶u̶e̶ ̶i̶m̶p̶r̶e̶s̶s̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶g̶a̶m̶e̶.̶ ̶ ̶S̶h̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶w̶e̶ ̶e̶x̶p̶e̶c̶t̶ ̶a̶ ̶p̶a̶t̶c̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶w̶e̶e̶k̶?̶ ̶N̶e̶x̶t̶?̶ ̶I̶'̶m̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶p̶a̶t̶i̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶w̶a̶i̶t̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶I̶t̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶e̶a̶s̶i̶e̶r̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶I̶ ̶k̶n̶e̶w̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶I̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶t̶i̶n̶u̶e̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶t̶r̶u̶c̶t̶u̶r̶e̶s̶ ̶I̶ ̶h̶a̶d̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶n̶n̶e̶d̶.̶

Other than these problems I've had allot of fun with Terraria on the go! Thank you!

EDIT: I saw that we are waiting on Nintendo to approve the patch! so I 'striked' the unnecessary text.
Hi there @Darkryn, welcome to the forums. :) For your performance issues, are you on a large world? That seems to be what others are experiencing if they are on large worlds. Two workarounds - maybe try small or medium worlds for the time being, and/or try playing with auto-save turned off (this comes with a side effect that you can only save by doing a save+exit).

If you have a moment, I’d suggest sending in your issue about freezing straight to the developers with as much detail as possible: Terraria: Console & Mobile Bug Form

I agree with the item frames that cause this glitch.
I recently made a moon lord trophy room on my world, it was the first time I used item frames. I’ve used weapon holders before but the item frames is a first time for me on this edition of terraria. Little did I know that be the last time i’d see This world for a while and Kinda sad tbh. So yes I agree it’s the item frames that cause the loading world glitch. I can’t wait for the updates so I can see my first home world again.

Hi there @Darkryn, welcome to the forums. :) For your performance issues, are you on a large world? That seems to be what others are experiencing if they are on large worlds. Two workarounds - maybe try small or medium worlds for the time being, and/or try playing with auto-save turned off (this comes with a side effect that you can only save by doing a save+exit).

If you have a moment, I’d suggest sending in your issue about freezing straight to the developers with as much detail as possible: Terraria: Console & Mobile Bug Form

Yes I was playing on a large world, so that must be the issue. I didn't think to try turning off the autosave so I'll try that when I get my world back (Ty for the advice!).
I sent in a bug report from the link you sent me! I hope that helps.

While I'm here, do we know how long Nintendo usually takes to approve a patch? I'm sure it must vary based on game and patch size but what about for an Indie hotfix?

Yes I was playing on a large world, so that must be the issue. I didn't think to try turning off the autosave so I'll try that when I get my world back (Ty for the advice!).
I sent in a bug report from the link you sent me! I hope that helps.

While I'm here, do we know how long Nintendo usually takes to approve a patch? I'm sure it must vary based on game and patch size but what about for an Indie hotfix?
Sorry, no clue how long Nintendo normally takes. :)

I made an account just to comment on this. The lag that I've noticed on large worlds is during the game's autosave. Not a huge issue for me. But the loss of my main world with all my loot is a deal breaker.

I came here looking for any other reports of worlds not loading to see if anyone knew the cause. I can confirm that item frames are the culprit. I hope there's a fix soon. If not, I hope refunds will be available. I'm not going to continue to play a broken game or reinvest time when it just took ~40 hours of progress away from me.

I made an account just to comment on this. The lag that I've noticed on large worlds is during the game's autosave. Not a huge issue for me. But the loss of my main world with all my loot is a deal breaker.

I came here looking for any other reports of worlds not loading to see if anyone knew the cause. I can confirm that item frames are the culprit. I hope there's a fix soon. If not, I hope refunds will be available. I'm not going to continue to play a broken game or reinvest time when it just took ~40 hours of progress away from me.

Yeah I was pretty upset at first too. I had been halfway constructing a village of igloos and had just bought my first Tinker's Workshop before save&exiting.
When I found out it was a known issue and that a patch was coming to restore everyone's worlds, I felt allot better.
You had twice as much time in your world as I did so I imagine you were twice as upset ~:D
Instead of starting over, I started farming crates so I can open them all when I get back to my world!
Just an idea if you want to play soon without starting over.

Ok I am in 1 single world,no other and when I am about to defeat the twins with my daedalus stormbow it just freezes and I let it sit for a whole minute or two and it wont unfreeze,I just wanted some souls of sight.

Back
Top Bottom