PC Game Freezing up on biome/background changes

Edguardia

Terrarian
Hello,
Every time I change biome I get massive frame drops/slow down which makes fighting some bosses very difficult and is a pain in general.
My specs should be fine
Windows 10
RTX 2070 GPU
M.2 SSD
Ryzen 5 3600 cpu

When I use the f7 mode my render #3 reaches around 200ms from a usual number of around 10ms, if anyone needs any more information I can provide it.

I thank you in advance for your support.

Last edited:
Turning on frameskip has been suggested to help with this issue. Frameskip causes the slowdown to appear as a a low framerate instead of the game running in slow motion.

Is the game running at a high resolution such as 1440p or 4k? I would try lowering the resolution to 1080p to see if the biome transition performance penalty scales with resolution.

Do you have frame skip off in the settings? It looks to me like you’re switching biomes at that spot, which can be pretty demanding and slow down the game if frame skip is off/cause a lot of lost frames of frame skip is on.

recently I got back into terraria but now whenever I enter a new biome my fps drops from a steady 61 to no higher than a 37. '

My computer can definitely handle the game at max graphics and even lowering them doesn't change the issue

the only fix I have found so far is entering windowed and then back into the full screen but even then it will drop again when switching biomes

I have tried deselecting CPU cores but like the fullscreen and windowed fix its only temporary

Hello,

i have a bit of a problem with my terraria, which is random (or happening at some certain point) microstutters. For example it microstutters when i defeat the Wall of Flesh and the world changes to hardmode, then it microstutters when breaking demon altars (, although not as badly as the freeze when WoF gets defeated... also depends on the size of the world). Other than those it sometimes happens randomly when wandering around the world or sometimes there is a slight microstutter when going from biome to biome.

I measured my frametime (this has nothing to do with frameRATE (almost), so please if you don't know what frameTIME is, please search it, a lot of people i asked on the internet didn't know what it is and actually thought i'm talking about my fps) using MSI Afterburner and yes, they are REAL microstutters, fps stay at 60/75 (frameskip on/framskip off), but it still freezes for a split second.

Is this just me or is anyone else experiencing this? Happening only in Terraria btw.

Specs:
GPU: MSI VENTUS RTX 2060 6GB
CPU: I5 9600K (stock speed, overclockable)
SSD: Patriot Burst 240GB (Terraria installed here, minimizes microstutters/microfreezes when going from biome to biome)
RAM: 2x8 3000
others are not important

Any help appreciated

Having frameskip on off or on subtle changes nothing and neither does changing my resolution form 1440p to 1080p.

Hello,
Every time I change biome I get massive frame drops/slow down which makes fighting some bosses very difficult and is a pain in general.
Having frameskip on off or on subtle changes nothing and neither does changing my resolution form 1440p to 1080p.
My specs should be fine
Windows 10
RTX 2070 GPU
M.2 SSD
Ryzen 5 3600 cpu

I thank you in advance for your support for any support given.

Hello,
My specs should be fine
Windows 10
RTX 2070 GPU
M.2 SSD
Ryzen 5 3600 cpu

I thank you in advance for your support.

Hello,
My specs should be fine
Windows 10
RTX 2070 GPU
M.2 SSD
Ryzen 5 3600 cpu

I thank you in advance for your support for any support given.
Hi there @Edguardia I merged both of your threads into one thread - we discourage duplicate threads even if they are in different sections.

Sorry I don’t have any workarounds for you to try. If someone knows a method for you to try, hopefully they’ll post. Normally the frameskip setting does the trick.

@Unit One Should this thread have been moved to Journey's End Bug Reports from PC Technical Support?
I see people posting bugs for the latest version of the game on both forums interchangeably. It should be preferable to post new PC bugs to Journey's End Bug Reports to make it obvious the bug wasn't from a very old version that may have been fixed. I could not find an explanation of why the other forum still allows creating new threads.

@Unit One Should this thread have been moved to Journey's End Bug Reports from PC Technical Support?
I see people posting bugs for the latest version of the game on both forums interchangeably. It should be preferable to post new PC bugs to Journey's End Bug Reports to make it obvious the bug wasn't from a very old version that may have been fixed. I could not find an explanation of why the other forum still allows creating new threads.
Yeah, I can see that point of view, I get where you’re coming from. However, a lot of times issues get posted in the bug section when the cause may not be something that the developers can address, but rather a hardware setup or software conflict specific to that computer that could be causing a problem.

There are probably a bit of threads in the bug section that should be moved to the tech section. As much as it’s hard to hear, some of the issues are things that only the individual can resolve (tech issues) and not something that the developers need to fix in the game (bug issues).

Another thing I forgot to mention. If you press F7 on the keyboard it will show rendering debug information. This might at least give a number you can use to quantify the severity of your performance problems. If you are seeing numbers higher than 32ms on any of the on-screen debug information categories your game is running below 30 fps which should only rarely happen on a system with your specs.

Alt + F7 will start and stop performance logging, which will save a file to \Documents\My Games\Terraria\TerrariaDrawLog.7z This log only contains information for drawing the game to your screen so you shouldn't bother making a log if the high value is in the "Update" category at the bottom of the onscreen debug information.

Another thing I forgot to mention. If you press F7 on the keyboard it will show rendering debug information. This might at least give a number you can use to quantify the severity of your performance problems. If you are seeing numbers higher than 32ms on any of the on-screen debug information categories your game is running below 30 fps which should only rarely happen on a system with your specs.

Alt + F7 will start and stop performance logging, which will save a file to \Documents\My Games\Terraria\TerrariaDrawLog.7z This log only contains information for drawing the game to your screen so you shouldn't bother making a log if the high value is in the "Update" category at the bottom of the onscreen debug information.
My render #3 goes up to around 200ms but and the rest increase slightly, I have tried the performance logging but cannot get it to work/create the file. More info on that would be nice but at least I now have some understanding of the issue.

My render #3 goes up to around 200ms but and the rest increase slightly

This is extremely useful information. I suggest you edit the initial post with this information, because it greatly narrows down the problem. I would also mention what the average Render #3 time is before it increased to 200 ms.

A 200 ms frame time drops the game to 5 frames per second, which is 12 times slower than the framerate the game was designed to run at. Frameskip won't be able to hide the issue effectively because the performance drop is too large.

Render #3 is drawing the background. This is probably in front of the sky but behind any destructible walls. This is exactly as expected because it is the part of the screen that changes when the biome transition happens.

I have tried the performance logging but cannot get it to work/create the file. More info on that would be nice but at least I now have some understanding of the issue.

I'm not sure if there are detailed enough draw steps for the background that the log will will further narrow down the problem. It might be more useful and require less effort to upload a copy of your world with coordinates to where you experience frame drops.

This is extremely useful information. I suggest you edit the initial post with this information, because it greatly narrows down the problem. I would also mention what the average Render #3 time is before it increased to 200 ms.

A 200 ms frame time drops the game to 5 frames per second, which is 12 times slower than the framerate the game was designed to run at. Frameskip won't be able to hide the issue effectively because the performance drop is too large.

Render #3 is drawing the background. This is probably in front of the sky but behind any destructible walls. This is exactly as expected because it is the part of the screen that changes when the biome transition happens.

I'm not sure if there are detailed enough draw steps for the background that the log will will further narrow down the problem. It might be more useful and require less effort to upload a copy of your world with coordinates to where you experience frame drops.
I would upload my world file and still can do this but I have multiple friends who also play on the world and do not have the issues so I doubt it is an issue with the world entirely

Back
Top Bottom