Game Mechanics [Game Mechanics] [Journey Mode] Several suggestions for Journey Mode (Modifier Selection Menu, more Player Powers, more Stat Sliders, etc.!)

Pinkietastic

Terrarian
Hi all! So, I’ve recently been playing through Journey Mode for a number of reasons, and I noticed there were some features lacking that I think could definitely help out to make Journey Mode feel complete. For example, I was wanting to use Journey mode to test out strategies against bosses and such, so I was going to try to replicate my current character in my Master Mode world, so that I could test out strategies against The Destroyer in Journey mode. There were a couple features missing that I think could definitely help out to have. So I’ve compiled my ideas below!

Item Modifier Selection Menu:
The first thing I thought could be improved was the addition of an item modifier selection menu. For example, it could function similarly to the Goblin Tinkerer’s reforge menu, in that you would drag an item into a designated space to give it a different modifier. However, you would be able to select a modifier from the menu that would appear when an item occupies the slot. And to keep the “Journey Mode” feel, you could limit the available modifiers to ones that have been unlocked by the player in the past (by owning an item with that modifier, etc.). So for example, if I started a new Journey Mode world and I found a shoddy Wand of Sparking in a chest, I could open the modifier menu to choose a different modifier for the item - however, since “Shoddy Wand of Sparking” is the only modified item I’ve had, then that would make “Shoddy” the only modifier available for me to pick. However, more would be unlocked as I went along and found more modifiers, and I could also apply the “Shoddy” modifier to other weapons and tools as well, since I have it unlocked. I think this would help a lot with both strategy testing, because it would be much easier and less time consuming to reforge all of your weapons and accessories to where you need them to be, and it could help with making adventure maps, since you would have more control over the quality of items distributed to the players.

Maximum Health and Mana Sliders:
Secondly, something I think could be very helpful would be the addition of stat sliders for maximum Health and Mana. Say for example you have a Journey mode character that has almost all the items researched, and you don’t wanna have to make another character just to test out different strategies etc.. As it currently stands, there is no way to increase or reduce maximum health or mana beyond what you’ve done with Life Crystals/Fruit and Mana Stars. So if I wanted to test strategies against a Master Mode Eye of Cthulhu, it’s unlikely that my character would have 500 health and 200 mana for that fight, so I would be stuck having to make a whole new Journey Mode character just for that fight. This way you could adjust your maximum health and mana to values from 100-500 for health, and 20-200 for mana; or, if you want to give mapmakers a little more freedom, you could even expand these values to go above or below the current limits. And if you want to keep it where you have to unlock things, you could limit the accessibility to the sliders to only values of health and mana that you’ve unlocked, until you max out either of them and then unlock the ability to go beyond the maximum for each stat, respectively.

Player Speed and Damage Sliders:
Thirdly, I thought that the addition of sliders for player Speed and Damage could be a welcome addition. There’s not much to say here beyond the idea that you could adjust your speed and damage to values from (for example) 0.1x to 10x, similarly to some other sliders like the monster spawn rate. This would be good for testing out different strategies under higher or lower pressure situations, and the speed could provide more maneuverability for builders and mapmakers.

Infinite Flight Personal Power:
And finally, something I felt was missing was the ability to tick on Infinite Flight from the Personal Powers menu. For this to work, you would probably have to have either Wings or some variant of Rocket Boots equipped, but it would basically do just what it says on the tin - grant you infinite flight time for these items.

So those were just a few of my ideas for how I think Journey Mode could be improved! I know it’s unlikely for the devs to see this, but I figured it was worth a shot because I think some of these things could really add a lot to the Journey Mode experience and customization. Feel free to let me know if you like these ideas, and why you think any of them would or wouldn’t work!

In addition to speed and damage sliders, I'd like sliders for mining speed and building speed. Mining is more of a convenience thing until getting late-game mining tools but building would be immensely helpful at any point in the game.

Also this: A way to view all permanent effects (And ways to disable them)
Oh yeah! That would be really useful! Honestly if they just had an option to set use time to “0” for building blocks, so you could just place them as fast as your mouse would allow and was within range, that could be useful too! It obviously wouldn’t really work with Smart Cursor, but I think there’s some food for thought there.

Maybe adding a setting to enable character type, hardcore and medium core. But for hardcore have a respawn button or your character isn't deleted.

Back
Top Bottom