Game runs in "Slow motion" or low fps?

Sooo... What was added this update that completely annihilates my FPS?

Update before this ran smoove as silk unless there was just a ridiculous amount of stuff on screen. Now I can't run the game on anything but 800x600 windowed mode. Which gives you absolutely no room to work with.

The problem on windows 10, a very low FPS, only in the main menu of the normal. Help with the problem. Reinstalling tried did not help
zwalls.ru-24861 — копия (2).jpg
zwalls.ru-24861 — копия.jpg

The problem on windows 10, a very low FPS, only in the main menu of the normal. Help with the problem. Reinstalling tried did not helpView attachment 148120 View attachment 148121

You should try using these settings for NVidia on the game:

Troubleshooting Your Problem with TerrariaServer.exe
In order to figure out what your problem is with the game, we require that you run the Terraria Server Client (TerrariaServer.exe). This will display any errors or successes on launch. Should there be any errors from the program itself, use the command prompt and copy the error to display it here.
  1. Right click within the Command Prompt.
  2. In the drop-down menu, select Mark.
  3. Once you made a selection, Right Click or Press Enter to copy.
  4. Paste your results in your thread.
If you have trouble with the above instructions, your system might be showing "Not Responding" or your System may need to be rebooted to start clean.

Deleting the JSON files to clear Terraria Settings
Before proceeding any further, please delete the config.json file located in your Terraria Folder under My Documents/My Games. Then start Terraria again, this may fix some unexplained issues, but we wish to make sure you are running a nice and clean installation:
  1. Locate My Documents Folder.
  2. Open My Games Folder.
  3. Open Terraria Folder.
  4. Delete Config.json file from this location.
    • You can also delete the Favorites/Profile files as well, just in case.
Mal2RvM.png

Installing / Re-Installing XNA and .NET Framework 4.5.2 or Better
You may be experiencing these issues with a faulty installation, and even worst your system might the be problem to this. Attempt to uninstall both XNA and .NET Framework from your machine, be advised, do not uninstall the pre-installed versions of .NET Framework that came with your system! Once you have successfully re-installed your XNA and .NET Framework you may attempt to try Terraria again.
Verify Terraria's Steam Cache
If your game is unresponsive at times it is recommended you do a Verify Steam Cache with the game provided for Steam (This does not include GOG Version).
  1. Goto My Library on Steam.
  2. Right-Click Terraria and Select Properties.
  3. Goto Local Files Tab.
  4. Now Select Verify Integrity of Game Cache.
If you have trouble with the above instructions, you may be using a different provider or retailer.
Frequently Asked Questions

Q: My world has corrupted somehow and will not load properly, what can I do?
A: You may have corrupted the world by using modded clients, computer shutdown before the world could complete the save, or system failure within Terraria that caused the problem. You can try attempting to load your world using TEdit (Download).

Q: My game is not launching, or I get errors regarding XNA/.NET Framework!
A: You can attempt to make sure you have all Game Dependencies first, then try attempting this solution:

If you don't feel like sifting through all that, it's basically to do with the framework permissions.

This is how you change the right to use Framework/XNA:
  1. Right-Click the specific directory (Listed Below).
  2. Select Properties.
  3. Select the Security Tab
  4. Click on Advanced Option
  5. Select the Owner Tab
  6. Click on the bottom button to Edit.
  7. On this window select the Administrator in the row and make sure to select the Checkboxes below.
  8. Hit Apply and close all the windows.
  9. Try running the game again.
Do the above for all of the following FOLDERS:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_32:
Microsoft.Xna.Framework\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Xact\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_MSIL:
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Avatar\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GamerServices\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Input.Touch\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Net\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Storage\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Video\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553

Q: Steam has reported that one (1) file has failed verification and was downloaded?
A: This file is known as the serverconfig.txt file. Originally this file shouldn't be packed with the game as Terraria should create this file automatically on launch if it is missing or out of date. Due to it being changed and updated by server owners, the file will constantly fail the verification process. This has no effect on playing the game, and can be ignored.

Q: I am experiencing low frame rate for Terraria, but the machine passes as recommended?
A: If you are using nVidia Control Panel, you can select Terraria.exe process and change the specifications on how your graphic card handles the game. Follow these instructions:
  1. Open nVidia Control Panel.
  2. Select Manage 3D Settings.
  3. Choose Program Settings Tab.
  4. Select Terraria as current program.
  5. Turn Triple buffering and Vertical sync to On.
  6. Run Terraria and turn Frame Skip to Off.
  7. The application should be running better than your current setup.
zAJ2XvE.png

Alternate Solution (The Aero Mode Bug)
  1. Goto your Desktop.
  2. Right Click and Select Personalize.
  3. Enable Aero Mode by selecting an Aero Background Option.
  4. You can also go Fullscreen Mode while Disabled Aero Mode.
Q: Experiencing an XAudio Driver Issue?
A: Check this out about the error: http://forums.terraria.org/index.ph...out-due-to-xaudio2_6-dll-on-windows-10.32894/

Q: Missing XInput Driver for the game?
A: You can download Microsoft DirectX Web Installer and fix this issue properly. We do not recommend searching for the driver (DLL) manually. Download it here.

Q: Where can I find my world and player files?
A: You can find your world and character files based on your system here:
  • Windows: <home folder>\Documents\My Games\Terraria\Players
  • Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/Terraria/Players
  • Linux: ~/.local/share/Terraria/Players
However, if you're using Steam Cloud Sync, the files will be in a different location.
  • <Steam directory>/userdata/<Steam3 ID>/105600/remote/players

I have found that setting the color to retro or trippy fixes the issue. I don't know why this is. Just an update in case someone stumbles across this thread.

my specs:

windows 10 home
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU 23700 @ 1.60GHz 1.60 GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB
System type: 64-bit operating System, x64-based processor
Pen and Touch: No Pen or Touch Input is available for this display

i need help desperately i just can't get terraria to stop going in slow motion

I have found that setting the color to retro or trippy fixes the issue. I don't know why this is. Just an update in case someone stumbles across this thread.

my specs:

windows 10 home
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU 23700 @ 1.60GHz 1.60 GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB
System type: 64-bit operating System, x64-based processor
Pen and Touch: No Pen or Touch Input is available for this display

i need help desperately i just can't get terraria to stop going in slow motion

Two questions, have you tried doing the above instructions? The quote I added. Also, do you have Marathon achievement unlocked or locked?

I am getting 1fps in the game too.

When I stand still I get 60fps, as per the steam fps counter. But as soon as I start to walk around it drops down to 1fps. I have over 100 hours in the game and just installed it again after a long break of not playing.

Windows 10 64bit pro.
MSI Radeon R9 390 8gb
Intel i7 4790k
16gb ddr3 ram

I am getting 1fps in the game too.

When I stand still I get 60fps, as per the steam fps counter. But as soon as I start to walk around it drops down to 1fps. I have over 100 hours in the game and just installed it again after a long break of not playing.

Windows 10 64bit pro.
MSI Radeon R9 390 8gb
Intel i7 4790k
16gb ddr3 ram

Try turning on Frame Skip.

I have problem fith FPS too... But, when i turn off the frame skip, my game going with no lags, but in slowmotion, if i turn on the frame skip game starts to be unplayable, because fps drops to 1-3. I tried to manage other parameters, but it was not help me...
I have uptaded/reinstalled all needed programs like net. and etc. I deleted the json file and it was not help me to.
Me specs:
Windows 10 enterprise - 64 bit
GTX 560ti
6gb of RAM
intel core 2 quad CPU q8400 @ 2.66GHz 2.67GHz
I should clarify, My game start to freeze, when i go to the server, whether my or other and no matter how many players on it, the game will still be freezing. And if I play alone in single player, game did not had lags and FPS stable on 55-60.

I've tried a large assortment of different observations made in this thread and few have had any effect. I'm just bumping this thread so it isn't forgotten about.

To clarify, I mostly just have the issues during multiplayer of any kind versus singleplayer where I'm usually ok.

I've tried a large assortment of different observations made in this thread and few have had any effect. I'm just bumping this thread so it isn't forgotten about.

To clarify, I mostly just have the issues during multiplayer of any kind versus singleplayer where I'm usually ok.
You would need to post a full detail of your computer specs, terraria settings, and .NET Information.

I'm not fulling concerned as I've managed to learn to deal with the random fps drops. If there isn't a major change within another month or so I'll probably get serious about fixing my issue.

I will say however, in running with an Nvidia graphics card and going into Nvidia settings, try turning on threaded optimization. It really helped for me. For whatever reason, my computer wasn't truly utilizing all the cores possible when running the game despite it showing so in task manager. I'm not a computer genius, but maybe that little tidbit will help someone.

Hello I was playing Terraria like 3 minutes ago and i was experiencing slow motion, my frame skip is off and its been running in slow motion which wasnt how it was running before
My Graphics are:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz
81EB 61.40
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Intel(R) HD Graphics 520

And i really want to learn a solution to this problem

Hello I was playing Terraria like 3 minutes ago and i was experiencing slow motion, my frame skip is off and its been running in slow motion which wasnt how it was running before
My Graphics are:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz
81EB 61.40
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Intel(R) HD Graphics 520

And i really want to learn a solution to this problem

Turn Frame Skip On

same issues here and it makes me depressed knowing i cant play one of my favorite games

Here are my specs god forbid if i can run it

Nvidia GeForce GTX 970
AMD FX 8320 Eight core-Processor
16GB of ram
Windows 10
.NET Framework 4.6.2

i beg someone to help me

All right, same problem. No idea how it happened though. A few months ago, I installed Terraria, and it ran pretty much perfectly. It ran at a perfect 60 FPS, except for maybe dropping down to 50-55 when entering a new biome. Factory Reset my computer, because it seemed to have some kind of malware. Re-installed every game, bought a few new ones, etc. Booted up Terraria again. Ran just fine. a few days later, booted it up again, re-loaded my save file(that ran perfectly before), and then was CONSTANTLY going from 30-45 FPS, and seemed to be going in "slow-motion" as well. Un-installed. Re-installed. Went from a contsant change of 45-55 FPS, still seemed to be in "slow-motion".

Quick update:
Frame Skip 0n: 30-45 FPS, Slow-motion
Frame Skip Subtle: Same as above, except with occasional bits of "normal" motion
Frame Skip Off: Solid 30 FPS.

What in the world happened?

Back
Top Bottom