Games that ruined their entire franchise

If any game it is definantly plants vs zombies 2:its about time.

At first I was like WOAH! Then the map updated, and then I saw the pay to win, then I saw how ridiculousy hard it is for me.

I was a diehard fan of the original pvz but this completely ruined it for me.

It isn't a PC game! I had to buy a tablet to play it on!its just a shiny free to play game from EA.
EA also released a 3rd person shooter called Garden Warfare that felt like a punch to the face to every oringnal pvz fan ever

Its a fun shooter but dont get me wrong but it shows how much EA wants to make money off of anything they get there hands on my first reaction to garden warfare was "Wasn't this a strategy game?"

EA also released a 3rd person shooter called Garden Warfare that felt like a punch to the face to every oringnal pvz fan ever

Its a fun shooter but dont get me wrong but it shows how much EA wants to make money off of anything they get there hands on
Not to mention that EA is making a Garden Warfare 2.

That one Metroid game that shall not be named. Other M (While the new combat mechanics were okay, the invisible walls, extreme linearity, cardboard characters aside from Samus and Adam, refusing to use Varia Suit when you can in a room that can kill you, as well as reducing my beloved Gravity Suit to a purple aura pretty much ruined this game for me.)

No wait! This year, there is a new "Metroid" game that could really spell the unfortunate death of the Metroid series or at least how Nintendo will work on the series. (Federation Force) which shouldn't really be called a Metroid game.

Assassin's Creed 3 spelled the death of the AC series for me there. Altair and Ezio's stories were great, but from what I know, the newer characters aren't as interesting. Pretty much going completely from Stealth to Action as well as the new hunting system is not what an AC game should be about, but there can't be many expectations for good quality for a game that's pumped out every year.

Etrian Odyssey Untold 2 is also a very disappointing case. All because they had to make Day-One Paid DLC for a Remake (The original Etrian Odyssey 2 came out in 2008). I was really looking forward to playing this game, and while Day-One Paid DLC is a horrible practice, it is another thing to force it on a Remake of a game that was pure from modern game industry practices. From what I've heard they refined the combat elements better, as well as added more Save Slots! (Previous games in the Etrian series only allowed for 1 save slot) And I enjoy dungeon crawling in general, but DLC (Especially Day-one DLC) is something I hate supporting and it is clear with this release that Atlus intends to become like Capcom/ Bungie/ Ubisoft/ Nintendo. (They've done this with SMTIV previously, and are also doing it with the Devil Survivor 2 Remake) It doesn't matter if the DLC is optional, content shouldn't be cut from games like this. I love many of the games Atlus has made, but I cannot look at them fall down the same path I've seen the other big developers/publishers have gone down.

I apologize for going on DLC rant mode. That covers most of the games which I think may be considered Series Killers.

For me, my list is thus

Final Fantasy XIII
Really took a step backwards in many ways. Story, complexity, open world. X and XII were bound by borders, but nothing spoke "constrained" like XIII. For me, XIII was the game where I felt Square-Enix focused too much on what their audience wanted to see, and not what their audience wanted to play. I used to buy Final Fantasy games pretty blindly with collector's editions at midnight releases. XIII made it so that I scour reviews and game-play FIRST. I still like Final Fantasy games... but my faith in them "just being good" out of the gate is forever tarnished. I'm praying to the old gods and new, the known and unknown -- that they don't screw up VII's remake.
Command & Conquer 4 (Tiberium Saga)
Command & Conquer Red Alert 3 (Red Alert Saga)
EA Games. The grandfather of RTS games appealed mostly to base builders. C&C4 removed that audience along with some very very questionable story changes. C&CRA3 was 99% pure satire, and lacked the charm of Red Alert 2, instead becoming a big mockery of that branch of C&C games.
Assassin's Creed: Revelations
Adding a small change to parkour, or a different assassination animation, while still casting us as a white(ish) male lead in a different setting IS not a good basis for new games in the franchise. Revelations and forward; I just felt like everyone was Ezio or Altair. Just re-skinned. I think 2 things really broke Assassin's Creed for me. 1. Recycling content. 2. releasing games too regularly. I mean, how many AC games are there now that could be reskins with small tweaks? 6? The recycled content just makes everything so boring, and the frequency of releases made it all feel like a huge cash grab. Also, the PC ports are why I no longer buy Ubisoft games for PC any longer.
Pokemon: Ruby/Sapphire
(and then) Pokemon X/Y
Ruby and Sapphire showed me that fans will never get a game (or I guess 2 games) in which you would be able to experience an full pokemon world. You won't be able to actually go out and visit other world areas. You won't be able to catch ALL the pokemon without jumping through hoops (more and more hoops as more games were released). You won't get to dictate what sort of trainer you will be. It was always going to be the same recycled formula. Same starter types. Same path through the gyms. Rival & Championship. And as you probably know by now, I hate recycled content. I guess Black & White/Black 2 & White 2 tried to shake up things a little -- but it still suffered under the weight of recycled content. Then X/Y brought Mega Evolutions, which was about as gimmicky as gimmicks get -- so that was the last nail in that Koffing for me. I would of loved to also see the reason for it being difficult to raise pokemon of different types. Everyone is always so amazed that you can raise more than 1 type of pokemon to become champ. Type affinities that benefit you/the type that raise or lower based on training would have been a welcome addendum to the experience gain system. But I digress.​

For me, my list is thus

Final Fantasy XIII
Really took a step backwards in many ways. Story, complexity, open world. X and XII were bound by borders, but nothing spoke "constrained" like XIII. For me, XIII was the game where I felt Square-Enix focused too much on what their audience wanted to see, and not what their audience wanted to play. I used to buy Final Fantasy games pretty blindly with collector's editions at midnight releases. XIII made it so that I scour reviews and game-play FIRST. I still like Final Fantasy games... but my faith in them "just being good" out of the gate is forever tarnished. I'm praying to the old gods and new, the known and unknown -- that they don't screw up VII's remake.
Command & Conquer 4 (Tiberium Saga)
Command & Conquer Red Alert 3 (Red Alert Saga)
EA Games. The grandfather of RTS games appealed mostly to base builders. C&C4 removed that audience along with some very very questionable story changes. C&CRA3 was 99% pure satire, and lacked the charm of Red Alert 2, instead becoming a big mockery of that branch of C&C games.
Assassin's Creed: Revelations
Adding a small change to parkour, or a different assassination animation, while still casting us as a white(ish) male lead in a different setting IS not a good basis for new games in the franchise. Revelations and forward; I just felt like everyone was Ezio or Altair. Just re-skinned. I think 2 things really broke Assassin's Creed for me. 1. Recycling content. 2. releasing games too regularly. I mean, how many AC games are there now that could be reskins with small tweaks? 6? The recycled content just makes everything so boring, and the frequency of releases made it all feel like a huge cash grab. Also, the PC ports are why I no longer buy Ubisoft games for PC any longer.
Pokemon: Ruby/Sapphire
(and then) Pokemon X/Y
Ruby and Sapphire showed me that fans will never get a game (or I guess 2 games) in which you would be able to experience an full pokemon world. You won't be able to actually go out and visit other world areas. You won't be able to catch ALL the pokemon without jumping through hoops (more and more hoops as more games were released). You won't get to dictate what sort of trainer you will be. It was always going to be the same recycled formula. Same starter types. Same path through the gyms. Rival & Championship. And as you probably know by now, I hate recycled content. I guess Black & White/Black 2 & White 2 tried to shake up things a little -- but it still suffered under the weight of recycled content. Then X/Y brought Mega Evolutions, which was about as gimmicky as gimmicks get -- so that was the last nail in that Koffing for me. I would of loved to also see the reason for it being difficult to raise pokemon of different types. Everyone is always so amazed that you can raise more than 1 type of pokemon to become champ. Type affinities that benefit you/the type that raise or lower based on training would have been a welcome addendum to the experience gain system. But I digress.​

What made FFXlll bad? Is it the story or the gameplay? Or both? I find the story kinda confusing but simple. Though what about the sequels?

Not to forget The Sims 4. A game that gave a new meaning to the word "sequel". Namely "game with the same problems as it's predecessor but with a fifth of the content" (I'm not kidding).

What made FFXlll bad? Is it the story or the gameplay? Or both? I find the story kinda confusing but simple. Though what about the sequels?
I found it to be both Story and Game-play. Game-play was strangely restricted, which was surprising coming off of the heels of XII. Story is just as you said. Confusing, but when you get the gist of it, it turns out to be really shallow and bland. I didn't like that the sequels basically broke protocol to cash in. X-2 had similar problems. It's a tad bit insulting to openly admit XIII was bad, then tell us to buy XIII-2/XIII-3 to get a better experience.

I am slightly surprised that I'm one of the few people to say Five Nights at Freddy's Four. Most people decide to go with the argument that FNaF3 didn't need a sequel because it was already the end, and the children were free and all that, and that all the loose ends were tied up. I think differently. FNaF3 didn't exactly tie up all the loose ends, so while I was fine with it not continuing, I was also fine with a small sequel that might explain things just a little more before the series (potentially) ended off.

But the thing is, FNaF4 didn't even tie up any loose ends. In fact, Scott decided it was a good idea to stray off the original plot completely and make a little side plot that nobody needed to know nor care about, revealing absolutely nothing. In fact, the game is so confusing that it actually sparked more questions than answers, and it didn't even tell us anything about what the game was supposedly supposed to be based around: the Bite of 87. Instead, it just focuses around some new 'Bite of 83' and ended the game series on a way too depressing note compared to what it could have been in FNaF3.

The gameplay ruined everything too. Everybody wanted something new, but what we got was barely close to the other Five Nights at Freddy's games. No cameras, and only three or so rooms. Yippee. And the entire thing focuses on listening. And by listening, it means you have to listen very closely for very vague audio cues... which may not be hard to do if you wait 4 or so seconds, but sometimes the sounds don't even play and they'll just kill you anyway. Works for the horror aspect; not for the gameplay at all.

I found it to be both Story and Game-play. Game-play was strangely restricted, which was surprising coming off of the heels of XII. Story is just as you said. Confusing, but when you get the gist of it, it turns out to be really shallow and bland. I didn't like that the sequels basically broke protocol to cash in. X-2 had similar problems. It's a tad bit insulting to openly admit XIII was bad, then tell us to buy XIII-2/XIII-3 to get a better experience.

Wait they admit that FF13 was meh and then made 2 and 3 ? I think 2 and 3 was made to Fix what was in 13-1.

Though they don't really have to always do one game then go on the next number. they maybe do sequels to games that got lots and high reviews

Golden Axe: Beast Rider. Because of how bad that game was, there probably will never be another Golden Axe game again, which is disappointing. As well, pretty much every Crash Bandicoot game after Naughty Dog sold the franchise.

I've seen a few people tell me that Fire Emblem: Awakening ruined the Fire Emblem series. I don't agree with this, mainly because I liked Awakening and haven't actually played any other Fire Emblem games other than Lyn's story in Fire Emblem 7.

But Sonic Generations is the only good modern sonic game?
*sigh* The story is literally Sonic is going somewhere, it turns out it is a surprise birthday party which he arrived early at, and then the screen goes white and you play more levels.

Well, seeing this came back to life

I'll have to say, Crash of the Titans ruined the Crash Bandicoot franchise. Don't get me wrong, the graphics were good, but to me, it seemed a bit, Pokemon-ish. The sequel was still the same. They were decent games, but they weren't what Crash Bandicoot actually was.

Back
Top Bottom