Weapons & Equip Gem Elements - Something I wanted to do

yudgefudge

The Destroyer
So, I just wanted to make the seven gems in Terraria to different elements, and each element will influence one part of your gaming. Which part, well read to find out.
Also, please check Bry-ccentric's Elemental Equipment thread (which has a similar concept to mine) that is old and bump it telling them, yeah, its old, and look it through too.
Large_Ruby.png

Rubies are quite clearly the element of fire. And now, they'll also help you boost your summoning capabilities!
So, with 10 rubies, and 5 hellstone bars, you can craft:
The Blaze Crown!
What does it do? Let's find out!
It:
Increases minion speed (or sentry fire speed) by 10%
Your minions inflict On Fire! for 7-12 seconds. On Fire deals 3hp/sec when using the Blaze Crown, and it can transfer from one enemy to the other, and can only be passed onto 5 more enemies.

But, that's not all! Once you reach Hardmode, you can upgrade your Blaze Crown, with just 20 Souls of Fright!
Now you have:
The Incineration Diadem!
Boosts minions speed (or sentry fire speed) by 20%
Your minions are followed by circling blazes, which cause 1/3 of the minions damage on contact. It doesn't trigger I-frames.
Tooltip: "Not a Horcrux."
Large_Amber.png

Amber will be the element of earth. And now, they'll also help you boost your melee capabilities!
So, with 10 amber, and 5 Sturdy fossils, you can craft:
The Rocky Grip!
It:
Boosts your melee knockback by 10%
Melee attacks have a 5% to make a jagged rock appear underneath an enemy, dealing the same damage as the attack that caused it.
Slows the player by 10%

Much like the Blaze Crown, once you reach Hardmode, you can upgrade your Rocky Grip, with just 5 Forbidden Fragments!
Now you have:
The Quake Gauntlet!
Boosts melee knockback by 18%
Slows the player by 25%
Killing enemies have a 10% to cause ground tremors, with a block span of 12 blocks, and damage enemies for about the same damage of the attack that killed the enemy.
What's fun about these tremors is that if the enemy dies to On Fire! or Poisoned, the tremors will deal 1 damage.
Large_Topaz.png

Topaz will be the element of electricity. And now, they'll also help you boost your movement capabilities!
So, with 10 topazes, and 5 gold/lead/iron ores, you can craft:
The Lightning Crystal!
It:
Boosts your movement speed by 10%
It gives the Supercharged buff, which, lasting for 7 seconds, while in combat, increases your movement & attack speed by 30%.

Much like the Blaze Crown, once you reach Hardmode, you can upgrade your Lightning Crystal, with just 25 Rain Clouds!
Now you have:
The Tesla Coil!
Boosts movement by 35%
Gives the Supercharged buff
Touching enemies has a 50% to cause a zap that travels from one enemy to another, disappearing at 6 enemies. The zap deals the damage of the strongest weapon in your inventory.
Large_Emerald.png

Emeralds will be the element of wind. And now, they'll also help you boost your ranged capabilities!
So, with 10 emeralds, and 5 feathers, you can craft:
The Feather Arrow-case!
It:
Boosts your ranged velocity by 15%
Arrows have a 30% chance to be followed with a pair of feathers that deal the a third of the damage of the actual arrow shot.

Much like the Blaze Crown, once you reach Hardmode, you can upgrade your Feather Arrow-case, with just 20 Souls of Flight!
Now you have:
The Tornado Quiver!
Boosts ranged velocity by 40%
Arrows have a 40% to be covered in a tornado, which allows them to pierce through 4 more enemies. The tornado also ups the arrow damage by 10%.

Also, you can make a weapon, too!
With just 10 emeralds, 15 Souls of Flight, and 5 feathers, you get:
The Featherduster!
Uses feathers as ammo
Damage: 61
Knockback: 1.5
Use time: 15
Critical chance: 4%
Velocity: 20
Fires three feathers for the price of one. Feathers spread out upon launch.
Large_Diamond.png

Diamonds will be the element of light. And now, they'll also help you boost your building and mining capabilities!
So, with 10 diamonds, and 5 Dayblooms/Moonglows, you can craft:
The Light Helmet!
It:
Boosts your mining speed by 15%
Light shining from the helmet accessory gives a spelunker potion effect in a 30 block radius

Much like the Lightning Crystal, once you reach Hardmode, you can upgrade your Light Helmet, with just 20 Souls of Light and 5 Crystal shards!
Now you have:
The Bright Mined!
:naughty:
I'm not ashamed of this pun
Boosts mining speed by 30%
5% to double pickaxe-mined objects, only for naturally-spawned ores.
Light shining from the helmet accessory gives a spelunker potion effect for 60 block radius
Tile placement and mining range are increased by 50%
10% to not consume building blocks
Large_Amethyst.png

Amethyst will be the element of space. And now, they'll also help you boost your magic capabilities!
So, with 10 amethyst, and 5 Meteor bars, you can craft:
The Cosmos Ring!
It:
Boosts your magic damage by 8%
Magic attacks have a 10% to summons sparkling stars, which are like the nebulas of the nebula armor, increasing:
Damage by 7%
Mana regen by 5%
Movement speed by 5%

Much like the Blaze Crown, once you reach Hardmode, you can upgrade your Cosmos Ring, with just 20 Fallen Stars and 3 Souls of Flight!
Now you have:
The Universal Ring!
Boosts your magic damage by 15%
Magic attacks have a 10% to summons sparkling stars, which are like the nebulas of the nebula armor, increasing:
Damage by 11%
Mana regen by 8%
Movement speed by 9%
Large_Sapphire.png

Sapphire will be the element of water. And now, they'll also help you boost your defensive capabilities!
So, with 10 sapphires, and 5 Waterleaves, you can craft:
The Depth Band!
It:
Reduces damage by 6%
Gives the Absorption Bubble buff when killing an opponent, for 5 seconds.
Killing opponents builds up your bubble, which absorbs 14% of the damage of an incoming hit.

Much like the Blaze Crown, once you reach Hardmode, you can upgrade your Depth Band, with just 20 Souls of Might and 5 Shark Fins!
Now you have:
The Aquaticus Bracelet!
Reduces damage by 15%
Your bubble now absorbs 30% of the damage from an incoming hit.

With just 10 sapphires, 15 Souls of Might, and 5 Shark Fins, you get:
The Wave Shield!
Gives 1 defense
Has an 80%to block projectiles that hit the shield
Can be thrown, in which case it is a boomerang that deals 45 melee damage
If tinkered with the Pocket Mirror and Shield of Cthulhu, you get:
The Reflective Maw!
Gives 3 defense
Blocks all projectiles that hit the shield, and has a fifty percent chance to reflect them for half the damage.
Now deals 60 damage both when dashing and when thrown
Immunity to petrification.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Bry
I like the concept, but these things seem way too strong. They're rivalling (or outright beating) some endgame equipment, yet are obtainable pre- or early-hardmode. I wouldn't recommend having one single piece of equipment do so many different things unless a complex crafting sequence is involved that requires lategame resources.

Also, I notice the Incineration Diadem gives less mana than the Blaze Crown. While I would recommend removing the mana buff entirely, if you're set on keeping it as is, that should probably be altered.

One single equipment slot simultaneously buffing minion damage, speed, giving another minion slot, 40 mana, 3% passive global damage boost AND the targeting thing...all before wall of flesh...the first two lines alone are more than enough to make it worthwhile.

Also, last thing: You mention that the 3% damage boost is meant to incentive mixing of summon with other sources of damage, but summoners by nature are incentivized to branch out. If you exclusively rely on summoning for damage output, you're doing it wrong.

The Blaze Crown!
It:
Boosts your summon damage by 9%
Boosts your summon speed by 4%
Your minions inflict On Fire! for 7-12 seconds. The imp's damage is doubled instead.

But, that's not all! Once you reach Hardmode, you can upgrade your Blaze Crown, with just 20 Souls of Fright!
Now you have:
The Incineration Diadem!
Boosts summon damage by 15%
Boosts summon speed by 7%
Gives 1 more minion.
Your minions are followed by circling blazes, which cause half of the minions damage on contact.

I'm not too sure what the point of increasing summoning speed is, especially if it's that little. Anyways Imps are bad but i'm not sure if they are "Double my damage" bad. The second one is busted due to pretty much being an early Papyrus Scarab, although that 4th effect can change my mind if it makes Iframes in which case it's terrible, as minions are already heavily limited by those.

The Rocky Grip!
It:
Boosts your melee damage by 10%
Boosts your melee speed by 4%
Melee attacks have a 5% to make a jagged rock appear underneath an enemy, dealing the same damage as the attack that caused it.
Slows the player by 5%

Much like the Blaze Crown, once you reach Hardmode, you can upgrade your Rocky Grip, with just 5 Forbidden Fragments!
Now you have:
The Quake Gauntlet!
Boosts melee damage by 20%
Boosts melee speed by 10%
Killing enemies have a 10% to cause ground tremors, with a block span of 12 blocks, and damage enemies for about 30 damage.

The pre-Hardmode one is actually better since it's a 5% to deal double damage, instead of 10% of what's essentially "knock enemies back and chip them a bit". The Slowdown does pretty much nothing and i'm not sure why it's there.

The Lightning Crystal!
It:
It gives the Supercharged buff, which, while in combat, increases your movement speed by 50%.

Much like the Blaze Crown, once you reach Hardmode, you can upgrade your Lightning Crystal, with just 100 Rain Clouds!
Now you have:
The Tesla Coil!
Boosts movement by 65%
Touching enemies has a 10% (30% if wearing metallic armor) to cause a zap that travels from one enemy to another, disappearing at 6 enemies. The zap deals the damage of the weakest weapon in your inventory.

Movement speed isn't capped at 60% for balance issues, it's for technical ones (I can't recall the details on that, but it's something about the character moving so fast they pass through tiles), i guess that can be fixed though.

The item is pretty much a variant of Lightning Boots, most of the time being worse due to movement speed just being a bad stat, while the On Hit effect on the Tesla could be guaranteed and it'll likely still be bad.

The Feather Arrow-case!
It:
Boosts your ranged damage by 7%
Boosts your ranged velocity by 14%
Arrows have a 50% chance to be followed with a pair of feathers that deal the same amount of damage as the arrow.

Much like the Blaze Crown, once you reach Hardmode, you can upgrade your Feather Arrow-case, with just 20 Souls of Flight!
Now you have:
The Tornado Quiver!
Boosts ranged damage by 15%
Boosts ranged speed by 32%
When firing, there is a 10% to make the arrow spin, increasing its damage in increments of 10% over 8 seconds.

With the simple price of 10 Emeralds and 5 Feathers, you too can triple all your dps!

The second one is a straight downgrade even if the buffs are above average for a slot, which tells you how good the first one is.

The Cosmos Ring!
It:
Boosts your magic damage by 7%
Lowers mana usage by 5%
Damage by 7%
Mana regen by 5%
Movement speed by 5%

Much like the Blaze Crown, once you reach Hardmode, you can upgrade your Cosmos Ring, with just 20 Fallen Stars and 3 Souls of Flight!
Now you have:
The Universal Ring!
Lowers mana usage by 10%
Damage by 11%
Mana regen by 8%
Movement speed by 9%

The two accessories combined could be the actual stats and Set Bonus of Nebula armor and it could still be the best armor in the game, Nuff' said.

The Light Helmet!
It:
5% to double mined object (only from being mined from a pickaxe)
Light shining from the helmet accessory gives a spelunker potion effect in a 30 block radius

Much like the Lightning Crystal, once you reach Hardmode, you can upgrade your Light Helmet, with just 20 Souls of Light and 5 Crystal shards!
Now you have:
The Bright Mined!
:naughty:I'm not ashamed of this pun
10% to double pickaxe-mined objects.
Light shining from the helmet accessory gives a spelunker potion effect for 60 block radius

Those two abilities to duplicate things will be abused. Abusing them like that to duplicate a certain item will be infinitely slower than just getting the materials to craft more, but abuses are abuses. The rest of this is fine.

The Depth Band!
It:
Boosts your throwing damage by 11%
Increases throwing velocity by 8%
Throwing attacks have a 10% to be replaced with a defensive bubble (which remains with the player), which absorbs 4 hits.

Much like the Blaze Crown, once you reach Hardmode, you can upgrade your Depth Band, with just 20 Souls of Might and 5 Shark Fins!
Now you have:
The Aquaticus Bracelet!
Boosts your throwing damage by 20%
Increases throwing velocity by 15%
10% to not consume ammo
The player is an unstable liquid, which allows them to flow through one block spaces, and not drown in water or lava, and move much quicker. But, when in sunlight, the player takes 3 damage per second.

Every single aspect of this I have a problem with. It's trying to expand a mini-class that is getting removed, the stats are overdone on both, the Depth Band one cancels the damage of 4 hits by just attacking, and I just can't imagine how the whole "You are a Liquid" gimmick works.

Also, please check Bry-ccentric's Elemental Equipment thread (which has a similar concept to mine) that is old and bump it telling them, yeah, its old.
Awww, I'm flattered by the extra publicity. I think people can be a little more constructive than "lol, old thread is old," though.
I saw ya lookin' at my thread moments before you added Wind, Space, and Light, thanks to having woken up in the middle of the night. Gettin' inspiration?
Just a note that I might sound a little dumb throughout this; I'm tired. =~=
The Blaze Crown!
It:
Boosts your summon damage by 9%
Boosts your summon speed by 4%
Your minions inflict On Fire! for 7-12 seconds. The imp's damage is doubled instead.

The Incineration Diadem!
Boosts summon damage by 15%
Boosts summon speed by 7%
Gives 1 more minion.
Your minions are followed by circling blazes, which cause half of the minions damage on contact.
Hmm, the idea of having the elements boost different aspects of the game is interesting, but I'm not 100% sure how well that'd work doing it the way you are. If you want a bit of *ahem* expert advice, I'd say just boost one stat of what the element focuses on (in this case, just boost one Summon stat), and then add an elemental ability. I probably wouldn't go with damage, though, as each class already has accessories for that. Summon speed seems to just be faster attack speed, which isn't really that helpful; if that's minion speed, though, that'd be good, though maybe make the bonus a little more noticeable?
The Blaze Crown's elemental effect pales in comparison to the Blaze Crown, even if the latter is close-range only. Maybe you could boost On Fire in some fashion along with minions being able to inflict it?
For the Incineration Diadem, there are two accessories that increase Minion Capacity already, so this feels a little samey. The elemental ability should probably have its damage nerfed to 1/3 (maybe even 1/4?) and be unable to trigger invincibility frames, since having a lot of minions or a really long dragon can stack the damage REALLY high.
The Rocky Grip!
It:
Boosts your melee damage by 10%
Boosts your melee speed by 4%
Slows the player by 5%

The Quake Gauntlet!
Boosts melee damage by 20%
Boosts melee speed by 10%
Killing enemies have a 10% to cause ground tremors, with a block span of 12 blocks, and damage enemies for about 30 damage.
Alright, these two are basically working to overpower the Fire Gauntlet. The second accessory tells me you're aware of this.
The Rocky Grip's slowdown drawback is interesting, but it completely goes away with the Quake Gauntlet, which confuses me. 5% is also nothing, so.
The Quake Gauntlet is just straight-up better than the Fire Gauntlet in terms of raw, statistical damage output, but the elemental effect is actually WORSE than its predecessor. Maybe up the damage to ~40% of your weapon's, and it could be really good for crowd control.
The Lightning Crystal!
It:
It gives the Supercharged buff, which, while in combat, increases your movement speed by 50%.

The Tesla Coil!
Boosts movement by 65%
Touching enemies has a 10% (30% if wearing metallic armor) to cause a zap that travels from one enemy to another, disappearing at 6 enemies. The zap deals the damage of the weakest weapon in your inventory.
Okay, so you've basically tinkered the Aglet and the Panic Necklace while buffing the latter considerably for the Lightning Crystal. A bit boring on its own; perhaps Supercharged can affect attack speed, too, if you lower the % significantly. What's the timer on the buff?
Oh yeah, the Tesla Coil really is an alternate Hermes Boots now. Oooh god, let me be the first to tell you, though: damage retaliation effects have to be really strong to actually be worth losing health. The Tesla Coil is both super wimpy and has such a low activation rate that I might actually prefer to wear the current Brain of Confusion over this.
The Tesla Coil's recipe ends with an unnecessarily-destroyed Floating Island; it's an improvement from 2 Nimbus Rods, but I'd say just make it require 25 Rain Clouds, if any.
The Feather Arrow-case!
It:
Boosts your ranged damage by 7%
Boosts your ranged velocity by 14%
Arrows have a 50% chance to be followed with a pair of feathers that deal the same amount of damage as the arrow.

The Tornado Quiver!
Boosts ranged damage by 15%
Boosts ranged speed by 32%
When firing, there is a 10% to make the arrow spin, increasing its damage in increments of 10% over 8 seconds.
The Feather Arrow-case's feather damage should deeefinitely be nerfed, and maybe have the activation chance lowered a bit.
You know most arrows are in the air for, like, 3-5 seconds, right? Shooting them into the air in hopes of having them hit on the way down is really unreliable. :/
The Depth Band!
It:
Boosts your throwing damage by 11%
Increases throwing velocity by 8%
Throwing attacks have a 10% to be replaced with a defensive bubble (which remains with the player), which absorbs 4 hits.

The Aquaticus Bracelet!
Boosts your throwing damage by 20%
Increases throwing velocity by 15%
10% to not consume ammo
The player is an unstable liquid, which allows them to flow through one block spaces, and not drown in water or lava, and move much quicker. But, when in sunlight, the player takes 3 damage per second.
Sorry to tell ya, but Throwing is just a sub-class of Ranged now (what is that now, 5?); having an accessory for just one sub-class wouldn't fly. I'll still provide feedback, though.
The Depth Band's elemental effect is both overpowered and annoying as hecc at the same time. My suggestion is to have the bubble build on kills, and for the bubble to only absorb ~10% of the damage from 1 hit. This would make the accessory really good for events.
The Aquaticus Bracelet is... weird. The bonuses it provides rival the Lava Waders in terms of raw situationalness, and taking DoT during the day is a bit much.
The Light Helmet!
It:
5% to double mined object (only from being mined from a pickaxe)

The Bright Mined!
:naughty:I'm not ashamed of this pun
10% to double pickaxe-mined objects.
I think the duplication chance should only be present with naturally-generated Ores, otherwise, that ability is CRAZY. The free Spelunker effect should also probably be halved for both the helmet and the Bright Mined.
I like the Bright Mined, save for what I mentioned.
The Cosmos Ring!
It:
Boosts your magic damage by 7%
Lowers mana usage by 5%
Damage by 7%
Mana regen by 5%
Movement speed by 5%

The Universal Ring!
Lowers mana usage by 10%
Damage by 11%
Mana regen by 8%
Movement speed by 9%
Both of these accessories are just a slightly changed Nebula Armor set bonus, but that's STILL really good. Those buff's timers better be shorter.

Last edited:
View attachment 233357
Amethyst will be the element of space. And now, they'll also help you boost your magic capabilities!
The Cosmos Ring!
It:
Boosts your magic damage by 8%
Damage by 7%
Mana regen by 5%
Movement speed by 5%

Now you have:
The Universal Ring!
Damage by 11%
Mana regen by 8%
Movement speed by 9%
Hmm yes, let’s make the already most op armor even more op!
in all seriousness, I love the idea! I think the items may need a teensy bit of nerfing in order to make them appropriate for the stages of the game. But I think the amethyst one is the most broken. Especially when you start to combine it with the Nebula set.

Reactions: Bry
Back
Top Bottom