PC Gem Tree and Moss help.

Zsword

Terrarian
Hey guys!

I've been doing some science to figure out a decent way to use the new luminescent Mosses with Gem trees to make a nice underground gem forest base, type, thing but I'm hitting some snags I'm not sure how to best address, in the image provided below (which is working as a solid proof of concept) I'm hitting a snag where the trees marked with torches refuse to grow, and I think it's because of the moss 'stems' or 'fuzz' or whatever you want to call it. Yes other trees have some around them but I think the fuzz grew after the tree, while I know my torch marked saplings had moss already beside it before growing. I was considering maybe using fences or walls, if PC placed variants of those prevent it from growing like it does grass, but part of my objective to keep things semi practical is spawning Gem Critters, which as I understand it, walls and fences would stop, so I'm not sure of a great or okay solution that addresses all my key points:

1: Growing Gem Trees in a way that's harvest and replantable if need be.
2: Lets glowing moss permeate a majority of the area, ideally with a low roof (14-16 seems to have a pretty good spawn rate for verticality while keeping the lighting balance nice. Not sure what the max height is to maximise Gem sapling growth
3: Still let's Gem Critters spawn, cause they're both pretty and cute and really what's the point of a gem forest if you don't have gem critters.

My final 'build' I think is gonna have about 3 terraces of trees around the main 'building', taking up around, 2 screens wide and a screen and a half all? That should get some decent spawn-age without being, unnecessarily massive. I also want to try and have a 'section' dedicated to each different Glow-Moss, with a base using mostly grey brick (and a moss buffer, not sure what to make that out of). I know saplings have to be placed on raw stone, but mossy stone and mossy brick are pretty seamless and still allows growth (The trees on the right have it in various patterns that you can barely make out unless you know what to look for, so I think it'll blend nice enough even with 'layers' added, for those of you who want try and visualize potential solutions more dynamically.

1590552105502.png

((PS: I have no idea if Support is the best area for this sort of thing but it's what I thought was the most appropriate starting point.))

Last edited:
My guess is that those trees don't have enough clearance, and/or the torches are impeding their growth.

Some people are citing better luck by leaving the trees in darkness (or at least low-ish, indirect lighting lighting) when they're not around (though they grow fine if you have light when you check on them). Not definitively proven as far as I know, but it seems to be the case with me as well.

Several online guides list the height requirement as either 17 or 20 blocks respectively. I myself cleared a bit excess of 20 blocks and get consistently good growth rates.

What might be happening here is, those trees' RNG for their growth pattern (height, foliage, etc) might be instructing them to grow taller than the current ceiling allows. The ones that grew fine were the ones lucky enough to draw a shorter-height number, while these ones may be waiting for headroom.

But that's just a theory. A GAME theory! :naughty:

My guess is that those trees don't have enough clearance.

I'm definitely not getting ideal rates cause of height, and as far as I can tell that's main general factor for my overall low growth, but as far as my tests have gone light has no impact. (Also I only placed the torches to mark the trees in question for this image, though when I was starting out this was a minimum height-clearance test that was expanded upon and I had torches in each of the marked blocks and they, eventually, grew okay, took em out and saw minimum difference in rates.) Their minimum height is 11 blocks, though the Gemcorn won't let you... smart place it until the clearance is 12. That being said, I'm still several hours deeper into this world and getting the same trees being, fussy. I've gone out of my way with more specific work clearing moss-weeds vs. not since (though I wasn't exactly documenting the adventure) and I'm 95% certain that it's the weeds prevent growth and I need either a weedy lawn mower, or a 'wall' that lets critters spawn but not weeds.

Back
Top Bottom