Blocks & Decoration Gem Trees

Well?

• Gem In The Making

Votes: 119 93.0%
  • Dirty Broken Glass

Votes: 9 7.0%

• Total voters
... post Plantera would make it appear at a time where large quantities of money can be obtained just by going out and killing things...
And that’s why about 80% of my income comes from the dungeon.

Later in the game then. To be honest I'd prefer it between the mechs and Plantera, but apart from Steampunker there's nothing else to mark the progress thereabouts. Because pre-plantera, Chlorophyte Bar farming is quite profitable and it's easy to setup(though not effortless). With 25 5x5 blocks 100 ft away from each other, you'd get upwards of 400 ores per solid trip. And that's 60 gold coins worth of bars, at least.

I would prefer that the recipe would not include Ectoplasm. If anyone can suggest either a different Crafting Station or material that I might take into consideration, it'd be good. I'll be updating the OP soon.

hmm you want it between the mechs and plantera? In that case its pretty easy as we could just use Chlorophyte in the recipie.
A bar would probably be too much but the living ore is perfect!

Sounds alright, though not really that all of a necessity for end-game players. Whilst that is a con of the general concept, I wouldn't mind a neat and simple suggestion like this in-game and would prove handy to those who need it.

Later in the game then. To be honest I'd prefer it between the mechs and Plantera, but apart from Steampunker there's nothing else to mark the progress thereabouts. Because pre-plantera, Chlorophyte Bar farming is quite profitable and it's easy to setup(though not effortless). With 25 5x5 blocks 100 ft away from each other, you'd get upwards of 400 ores per solid trip. And that's 60 gold coins worth of bars, at least.

I would prefer that the recipe would not include Ectoplasm. If anyone can suggest either a different Crafting Station or material that I might take into consideration, it'd be good. I'll be updating the OP soon.
Maybe a special tool sold by the Steampunker (or Dryad) that allows one to plant thee seeds. That way, it can be Post-mech. You could also include one Chlorophyte ore in each seed.

hmm you want it between the mechs and plantera? In that case its pretty easy as we could just use Chlorophyte in the recipie.
A bar would probably be too much but the living ore is perfect!
Maybe a special tool sold by the Steampunker (or Dryad) that allows one to plant thee seeds. That way, it can be Post-mech. You could also include one Chlorophyte ore in each seed.
I already thought of using the ore, but thanks anyway. :)

OP updated. I'm looking for someone to sprite the trees as well.

Well now, this looks interesting, (and somewhat made me laugh of trees growing downwards :naughty:)
So getting this in Post Mech will be a good farming for gems, though I won't say easy, as I also
agree what Baconfry have said about lessen up the growing time for the Gem Trees, I will still
check where this is going, :) Nice though

I really do like this idea
When i saw the words gem tree i instantly thought of viva piñata's gem tree
I like the idea of having a similair tree like that in terraria
It looks like this
That doesn't look like what I had in mind at all. Nevertheless, thanks.

Would Gem Trees also have a small chance of spawning naturally?
Hmm... Not sure. Maybe upon world-gen, but in very limited amount. I suppose about the same rarity as the gem caves.

Why not just plant gems with a special staff or something? The sprite of the tree would have lots of gems but would only drop three or four, because even with all the suggested nerfs this seems pretty economy-breaking. :/

Take my yes.
This suggestion is really, really good.
Balance is there, and it's not for something incredible.
agent_alx Seal of Approval.png

Whoops. Nearly forgot I had a thread while waiting for 1.3. :dryadtongue:

Why not just plant gems with a special staff or something? The sprite of the tree would have lots of gems but would only drop three or four, because even with all the suggested nerfs this seems pretty economy-breaking. :/
I think it's mostly solved. By the time you can get chlorophyte, you already have access to a lot of money-making ventures. And you can actually beat Plantera in Hallowed/Titanium Armor, so you'd have access to the temple and HM dungeon not long after these trees at all. And those two are primary money source for those that can't be bothered with pirate invasions or the moons. Also:
It's not OP. You can get MUCH more gold by farming the destroyer, which can be done much earlier.
When you have access to chlorophyte, the mech bosses can be farmed like no one's business. No issues of economy inflation(or whatever)... or at least none so serious.:dryadhappy:

As for the staff, I'm kind of seeing that you have to somehow germinate the trees with gems and crystals to transmute it. Hence the crafting materials. The chlorophyte for balance, and the ability to "grow" as well, albeit slightly changed.

I'd love to see this in game. Though, why no amber tree?
Because it's not the same as the other gems. Though I admit, getting them via silt/slush alone is painful. I suppose it might be considered, but for now only natural gems for the trees.:dryadindifferent:

Last edited:
Diamonds and rubies are pretty rare. Even with the solutions some people posted, I do fear it'll be way too easy to stack up on these gems.
I don't think making them cheaper is a solution either. They should be allowed to be rare and somewhat pricey. Not everything needs to be available in infinite abundance.

I do like the sprites. Nice job on that. :)

Back
Top Bottom