Well?

• Gem In The Making

Votes: 119 93.0%
  • Dirty Broken Glass

Votes: 9 7.0%

• Total voters
Nintendo would sue our asses for this
*Ahem*

Diamonds and rubies are pretty rare. Even with the solutions some people posted, I do fear it'll be way too easy to stack up on these gems.
Aaah, by the time you reached Chlorophyte, strip-mining worlds is no longer an issue. I myself have a couple of stacks of each gem from mining alone. This is merely an alternate choice.

One problem... we wouldn't need this towards end-game. Gems are not only useless then, and as @Baconfry said, I can just kill 2 Armored Bones. So, that's out of the question...

One problem... we wouldn't need this towards end-game. Gems are not only useless then, and as @Baconfry said, I can just kill 2 Armored Bones. So, that's out of the question...
Uhh, I said that.....

And remember, gems are also used in the production of gemspark blocks, which many people love to use.

Not sure what you are getting at here. My suggestion is just to make the gems renewable. What one wishes to do with them, is one's own business. Franky, I only added Chlorophyte so it would tie in then with the other money maker at end-game(mech farming, moon cheesing, pirate massacre, dungeon/temple raid), even falling behind them. The purpose of this thread is the gems, not money making.

And gems, as Milt pointed out, are used for gemspark blocks. Not forgetting stained glasses, colored torches and the occasional laid gems, giving your houses that little touch that means so much.

For myself, I only build when I've reached the end of the battle aspect, so this will really help me when I decide to erect gem buildings.

If only pre-hardmode ores would grow on trees as well...
Also, shouldn't the trees drop Petrified Wood (grayish wood that makes stone sounds when broken which allows the creation of primitive-looking furniture)?

If only pre-hardmode ores would grow on trees as well...
If I were to make such a suggestion, it would only purely be for decoration. Maybe I'll consider it.

Also, shouldn't the trees drop Petrified Wood (grayish wood that makes stone sounds when broken which allows the creation of primitive-looking furniture)?
They are crystal trees, not wood, petrified or otherwise. Also, I'd prefer to have @DerpoTheMagnificent's Crystal Furniture over that. :dryadgrin:

Awesome! It's helpful, could add a ton of vibrancy to an underground home, and if the Breathing Geode looks anything like Geodude, this will be awesome.

I think that if ya need gems, you should go down and mine for them. Work for them. Not everything is easy, and it gives merit to those wonderful structures made out of gems! So with that,

By the time you get to HM, gems are useless...
[DOUBLEPOST=1424201450][/DOUBLEPOST]
I think that if ya need gems, you should go down and mine for them. Work for them. Not everything is easy, and it gives merit to those wonderful structures made out of gems! So with that,

I agree, as gems aren't usefull in HM except for selling/hoarding, so yeah...

You need to work for this too. It's sort of like wood and acorn, where it would be faster to create a new world and mash everything. I offer a way to make them renewable. Also they would look nice for an underground house, so this does have merits on building even on its own. So I don't accept your argument, really.

By the time you get to HM, gems are useless...

I agree, as gems aren't usefull in HM except for selling/hoarding, so yeah...
So's everything else back in PHM. Yet we still can get most of them in HM.

I can see way too much potential for abuse here. in approx 2-3 hours you could make a farm that gives you 500+ gems per hour
plus its easy(ish) to set up
a bit of balancing and it will be all good :)

I can see way too much potential for abuse here. in approx 2-3 hours you could make a farm that gives you 500+ gems per hour
plus its easy(ish) to set up
a bit of balancing and it will be all good :)
How? I didn't see anything about them dropping gem seeds. In no place in the main post did I see something saying that it will grow as fast as normal trees. Explain your conclusion.

Simple all you need is decent farms for crystal shards, chlorophyte and acorns... chlorophyte is pointless in the endgame other than for bullets, same with the crystal shards and acorns are used for trees and thats it.
Set up a wide flat area with ~25 blocks underneath it made out of air. Lets say we go with diamonds
If you start with 3 trees and get an average of 10 on your first harvest the next planting is worth 10 trees
After that the next harvest (If you still get an average of 10 per tree) is worth 100 gems!
after 33 trees are harvested you get 330 crystals
after 110 trees are harvested you get 1100 Gems!
if you keep 100 of them and sell the 1000 then you will have made 3 plat
if you save them all by the time you hist ~10000 trees a harvest is worth 100000 gems or 300 platinum coins!
Obviously they would take a fair while but with enough patience it wouldn't be hard to farm 1000's of gems
Might take more than 1-2 hours but the potential for abuse is still there

Back
Top Bottom