Game Mechanics Generation of houses and points of interest

Ranadiel

Terrarian
Today i was looking through the 1.3.6 sneak peeks, especially the new furniture sets and a glorious idea came to my mind.

What if there was a mechanism that could create houses and points of interest in the map after some events? Surely this would enhance the gameplay and from the game standpoint i think we have everything in place. We have meteorites that alter the landscape, as well as painting the terrain with crimson/corruption and hallow after the Wall of Flesh is defeated for the first time. Additionally, these houses could contain chests with new loot and give more incentive for exploration after reaching Hardmode.

My suggestions are below:
  • Spider houses (with the new furniture sets coming in 1.3.6) appearing after WoF is defeated. The algorithm would seek out the spider backgrounds and choose to generate one or two room cabins, similar to all of the existing cabins in the world. As the spider furniture and blocks will be from Spider Fangs (Hardmode items), generating the rooms after WoF is crucial.
  • Crimson/Corruption houses (with the new furniture sets coming in 1.3.6). Similar as with Spider houses, generating somewhere near or on the exact backgrounds of Crimson/Corruption. This leaves space for additional NPCs, enemies and new items to be lootable in the game after defeating some bosses or advancing into HM.
  • Making some of the biome/minibiome specific houses appear later in the game. For instance, Marble or Granite houses could appear after destroying a shadow orb/crimson heart or killing WoF or some other boss for the first time.
  • Biome specific Points Of Interests (POIs) - Small shrines (similar like in the jungle), altars with altered blocks or pockets of changed landscape could appear in the desert or ice biome with chests full of materials, weapons and accessories. This could be enhanced into more specific places or use random chance to determine spot (like planting hallow and crimson/corruption spots after destroying altars).
The amount of regular houses in jungle, ice biome, hell and all of the caverns/underground layers are surely too much to process with killing one boss or another. Therefore i'm thinking here mostly about areas that don't happen too often to not remake the whole map suddenly. On the other hand, this idea could change how Terraria progresses, adding custom POIs and specific areas on the fly. If going far enough, this could add a lot of Post-Moon Lord content like altering landscape drastically and adding new areas to explore.

The only problem i see is detecting where players changed the landscape and if it can be altered (worst case scenario, players destroyed all spider nests before HM).

Today i was looking through the 1.3.6 sneak peeks, especially the new furniture sets and a glorious idea came to my mind.

What if there was a mechanism that could create houses and points of interest in the map after some events? Surely this would enhance the gameplay and from the game standpoint i think we have everything in place. We have meteorites that alter the landscape, as well as painting the terrain with crimson/corruption and hallow after the Wall of Flesh is defeated for the first time. Additionally, these houses could contain chests with new loot and give more incentive for exploration after reaching Hardmode.

My suggestions are below:
  • Spider houses (with the new furniture sets coming in 1.3.6) appearing after WoF is defeated. The algorithm would seek out the spider backgrounds and choose to generate one or two room cabins, similar to all of the existing cabins in the world. As the spider furniture and blocks will be from Spider Fangs (Hardmode items), generating the rooms after WoF is crucial.
  • Crimson/Corruption houses (with the new furniture sets coming in 1.3.6). Similar as with Spider houses, generating somewhere near or on the exact backgrounds of Crimson/Corruption. This leaves space for additional NPCs, enemies and new items to be lootable in the game after defeating some bosses or advancing into HM.
  • Making some of the biome/minibiome specific houses appear later in the game. For instance, Marble or Granite houses could appear after destroying a shadow orb/crimson heart or killing WoF or some other boss for the first time.
  • Biome specific Points Of Interests (POIs) - Small shrines (similar like in the jungle), altars with altered blocks or pockets of changed landscape could appear in the desert or ice biome with chests full of materials, weapons and accessories. This could be enhanced into more specific places or use random chance to determine spot (like planting hallow and crimson/corruption spots after destroying altars).
The amount of regular houses in jungle, ice biome, hell and all of the caverns/underground layers are surely too much to process with killing one boss or another. Therefore i'm thinking here mostly about areas that don't happen too often to not remake the whole map suddenly. On the other hand, this idea could change how Terraria progresses, adding custom POIs and specific areas on the fly. If going far enough, this could add a lot of Post-Moon Lord content like altering landscape drastically and adding new areas to explore.

The only problem i see is detecting where players changed the landscape and if it can be altered (worst case scenario, players destroyed all spider nests before HM).

This is actually a really interesting idea, I don’t know how I feel about it:indifferent:

It’s strange how terraria progresses, yet I like it. In pre hardmode the player gets mode items by finding them in chests. In hardmode, it completely switches to getting most of your items from monsters.

Back
Top Bottom