• For issues you find with the Switch and Console releases, please follow this link and give as much detail as possible. This is the speediest way to get info to Pipeworks and get a hotfix in the works.
  • 1.4 will bring many changes to the PC version. We strongly advise making plans to back up your worlds and players prior to updating your game. More details here.
  • Begin your search for Journey's End information here and here. Please report bugs and issues for Journey's End here.
  • For issues you find with the Mobile 1.3 update, please follow this link and give as much detail as possible. This is the speediest way to get info to DR Studios to look at your issue. Also, some troubleshooting hints here.

tModLoader Gensokyo Mod, a Touhou mod for Terraria

Eidolon94

Terrarian
Gensokyo Mod
icon.png

The Gensokyo Mod is a mod inspired by the Touhou franchise. It is a content pack that adds new enemies, weapons, accessories, vanity sets, and loads of bosses. If you're a Touhou fan, this is the mod for you. However, even if this is the first time you've ever heard of Touhou, there's nothing stopping you from enjoying the challenging fights and interesting items included in the mod - at most you'll miss a few references.

Now, on to its features:
  • More than 180 new items
  • 17 vanity sets
  • 11 new enemies, not including boss minions
  • 15 new bosses, plus one miniboss
  • 9 remixes of Touhou boss themes
  • A new Town NPC
  • A new mini-biome, with full-sized biomes planned for the future

The Bosses
The mod currently includes 15 bosses, divided into seven difficulty tiers. The bosses on the lowest tier can easily be fought during early Pre-Hardmode, whereas the highest tier should be roughly as challenging as the Moon Lord. Thus, no matter how far your run has progressed, there'll always be some boss that's roughly on your level.

If you want to see whether your favorite Touhou character is included, check out the list of currently implemented bosses below.
Tier 1
These bosses can be fought and defeated very early during a playthrough. Their fights consist of three stages.

Rumia (Gensokyo).png
Rumia

Eternity Larva (Gensokyo).png
Eternity Larva

Lily White (Gensokyo).png
Lily White

Tier 2
These bosses are balanced for late Pre-Hardmode. Their fights also consist of three stages.

Hina Kagiyama (Gensokyo).png
Hina Kagiyama

Sekibanki (Gensokyo).png
Sekibanki

Tier 3
These bosses are intended to be fought during early Hardmode, possibly even directly after the Wall of Flesh is defeated. Their fights consist of four stages.

Nitori Kawashiro (Gensokyo).png
Nitori Kawashiro

Medicine Melancholy (Gensokyo).png
Medicine Melancholy

Tier 4
The bosses on this tier are balanced for players who have already made some progress during Hardmode. Their fights also consist of four stages.

Minamitsu Murasa (Gensokyo).png
Minamitsu Murasa

Alice Margatroid (Gensokyo).png
Alice Margatroid

Tier 5
These bosses should be fought by players using Hallowed or Chlorophyte equipment. Their fights consist of five stages.

Sakuya Izayoi (Gensokyo).png
Sakuya Izayoi

Seija Kijin (Gensokyo).png
Seija Kijin

Mayumi Joutouguu (Gensokyo).png
Mayumi Joutouguu

Tier 6
The bosses on Tier 6 should be fought by players using Post-Plantera equipment. Their fights consist of six stages.

Toyosatomimi no Miko (Gensokyo).png
Toyosatomimi no Miko

Kaguya Houraisan (Gensokyo).png
Kaguya Houraisan

Tier 7
The final tier of bosses, for now. Seven stages.

Utsuho Reiuji (Gensokyo).png
Utsuho Reiuji

Videos
Leviathan fighting all bosses that existed as of September 2019 (some attacks have been updated since then).

Showcase of Alice Margatroid and Kaguya Houraisan.

Showcase of Mayumi Joutouguu, the newest boss added to the mod.

Soundtrack
We have created a playlist showcasing the Touhou music remixes included in the mod. Check it out here.
Note that for these videos, the boss AI was altered significantly (such as completely removing movement) and is not representative of normal gameplay.

Download
The newest version of the mod can always be downloaded via the Mod Browser.
Click here for a manual download.

Some bosses (particularly the lower tiers) don't have custom music tracks yet. While fighting these bosses, vanilla Terraria music will play. However, if you want their original themes from the Touhou soundtrack to play instead, you'll need to download Gensokyo Music and follow the instructions in the readme file.

Wiki
Quickly need to look up information about a weapon or enemy from the mod? Click here to get to our wiki.

Discord Community
If you want to give feedback about the mod, suggest features, or occasionally get a sneak peek at stuff that's still in development, join our Discord community.

Credits
The Team:

Eidolon94:
Game design, programming
nnerdragon: Spriting
Ümbra: Music
Mrrp: Spriting
Rhoenicx: Spriting, programming

Special Thanks:

Gufflon: Extensive playtesting

Last edited:
Welcome!
Happy to see this mod has a forum page now! As far as Touhou related content goes in Terraria I think Gensokyo is the winner on top, sure there's the Touhou mod (simply called Touhou mod, and in all due respect is a great mod that fits into Terraria as well, thou mostly only the items do, the bosses are another story), however the bosses in that mod felt a little too "on par" with the base games, mostly looking at how recreated the sprites and boss fights were.

Gensokyo overall feels like a more in-tune take on Terraria style Touhou, the Items fit and the Bosses's attacks surprisingly don't feel jarring and sync well despite being bullet hells; and those Terraria-style Touhou character sprites are just so good and fit right in, you guys totally nailed the quality here.

I don't join discord groups, so I'm leaving my thoughts here so you know a forum goer really appreciates what you've made, and hopefully, will continue to make <3

SayaDuck

Terrarian
I love this mod, thank you devs!

Edit: Sakuya's clock items completely break flail-type items D:

Last edited:

Eidolon94

Terrarian
Welcome!
Happy to see this mod has a forum page now! As far as Touhou related content goes in Terraria I think Gensokyo is the winner on top, sure there's the Touhou mod (simply called Touhou mod, and in all due respect is a great mod that fits into Terraria as well, thou mostly only the items do, the bosses are another story), however the bosses in that mod felt a little too "on par" with the base games, mostly looking at how recreated the sprites and boss fights were.

Gensokyo overall feels like a more in-tune take on Terraria style Touhou, the Items fit and the Bosses's attacks surprisingly don't feel jarring and sync well despite being bullet hells; and those Terraria-style Touhou character sprites are just so good and fit right in, you guys totally nailed the quality here.

I don't join discord groups, so I'm leaving my thoughts here so you know a forum goer really appreciates what you've made, and hopefully, will continue to make <3
Thank you for the feedback! It makes me really happy to hear that something that started as a hobby project to get better at programming is now appreciated by so many people!

I love this mod, thank you devs!

Edit: Sakuya's clock items completely break flail-type items D:
That issue should be fixed now, at least for vanilla flails. I can make no guarantees for flails from other mods, unfortunately.

Man i liked a lot the mod, and you even added Mayumi recently.
But im having a problem, in this new version of the mod my Terraria does not load something and causes an error.
View attachment 246344
I tried to uninstall Terraria and the mod, proceeded to replace the tmodloader but i still cant play it. Can someone help me?

I dunno if this is the right place to say or is it in the Discord server.
Hey, please try the following:
  • Open the ModLoader directory. The easiest way to do this is to click on "Mods" in the main menu, click the "Open Mod Folder" button, then go up one level.
  • Open the file config.json
  • Add the following two lines:
    "Support4K": true,
    "Support8K": true,
If that doesn't work, try setting Support8K to false, but leave Support4K as true.

Last edited:

Cold Flame

Terrarian
Is there a way to change the weapons' special attack button without changing the right click button's binding. Maybe separating the key binding to it's own thing. It's conflicting with some of my other mods, and I don't know how to change it.

WatcherCCG

Terrarian
Honestly, I'd say that at the very least, there should be a costume for every boss and every character whose weapons happen to be in the mod. My dream is to one day march through the horrors of Calamity with several of Gensokyo's finest, and this mod will be how I make that happen.

Additionally, if you ever delve into the PC98 era, Mima and Shinki are almost obligatory, but another contender that might be interesting is someone from the group of Konngara, Sariel, Rikako, or Yumemi.

And let me also toss you a gem that was also created recently, might offer some inspiration or reveal a potential future partner: misterslime/RinSatsukiMod

Eidolon94

Terrarian
Is there a way to change the weapons' special attack button without changing the right click button's binding. Maybe separating the key binding to it's own thing. It's conflicting with some of my other mods, and I don't know how to change it.
Thanks for the suggestion, I've added that functionality in the new patch released today.

please add the Alice Margatroid costume in the next update
All currently included bosses will have their vanity sets added eventually.

Honestly, I'd say that at the very least, there should be a costume for every boss and every character whose weapons happen to be in the mod. My dream is to one day march through the horrors of Calamity with several of Gensokyo's finest, and this mod will be how I make that happen.

Additionally, if you ever delve into the PC98 era, Mima and Shinki are almost obligatory, but another contender that might be interesting is someone from the group of Konngara, Sariel, Rikako, or Yumemi.

And let me also toss you a gem that was also created recently, might offer some inspiration or reveal a potential future partner: misterslime/RinSatsukiMod
We will definitely keep adding more and more vanity sets. I can't promise that there will eventually be a vanity set for each and every one of the 100+ Touhou characters though. What I can say, however, is that each of the current (and future) bosses will get a vanity set eventually. Beyond that, the choice of further vanity sets (and the order in which they're added) is pretty flexible and depends a lot on suggestions on our Discord.

I'm not really into the PC-98 stuff, unfortunately. I'm not saying that there definitely won't ever be PC-98 stuff - but if something does get added from there, it'll probably only be vanity stuff, and even then only for the "big names" - Mima, Shinki, maybe Reimu's and Marisa's PC-98 outfits.

WatcherCCG

Terrarian
We will definitely keep adding more and more vanity sets. I can't promise that there will eventually be a vanity set for each and every one of the 100+ Touhou characters though. What I can say, however, is that each of the current (and future) bosses will get a vanity set eventually. Beyond that, the choice of further vanity sets (and the order in which they're added) is pretty flexible and depends a lot on suggestions on our Discord.
Fair enough. Beyond the bosses, I'd call the "Playable Command" crew - Reimu (done), Marisa (done), Sakuya, Youmu (done), Reisen, Aya (done), Sanae, and Cirno - the only truly obligatory outfits. Everything else would be gravy.
'm not really into the PC-98 stuff, unfortunately. I'm not saying that there definitely won't ever be PC-98 stuff - but if something does get added from there, it'll probably only be vanity stuff, and even then only for the "big names" - Mima, Shinki, maybe Reimu's and Marisa's PC-98 outfits.
Unfortunate. But I get it. That era is obscure and quasi-canon at best in the minds of most. Besides those four, if I had to choose only one other person from that era to be recognized, it would be a tossup between Yumemi Okazaki and Sariel. And if PC98 era only gets one boss (if any), it should be Shinki.

Mod User

Terrarian
I love the purification fan it OP against worm bosses though it doesnt have any effect maybe you can also add timer when the damage will trigger just like mini gauge above players character
.. And its also bug when doing old ones army it destroys the portal.

Gensokyo Mod
View attachment 276493

The Gensokyo Mod is a mod inspired by the Touhou franchise. It is a content pack that adds new enemies, weapons, accessories, vanity sets, and loads of bosses. If you're a Touhou fan, this is the mod for you. However, even if this is the first time you've ever heard of Touhou, there's nothing stopping you from enjoying the challenging fights and interesting items included in the mod - at most you'll miss a few references.

Now, on to its features:
  • More than 180 new items
  • 17 vanity sets
  • 11 new enemies, not including boss minions
  • 15 new bosses, plus one miniboss
  • 9 remixes of Touhou boss themes
  • A new Town NPC
  • A new mini-biome, with full-sized biomes planned for the future

The Bosses
The mod currently includes 15 bosses, divided into seven difficulty tiers. The bosses on the lowest tier can easily be fought during early Pre-Hardmode, whereas the highest tier should be roughly as challenging as the Moon Lord. Thus, no matter how far your run has progressed, there'll always be some boss that's roughly on your level.

If you want to see whether your favorite Touhou character is included, check out the list of currently implemented bosses below.
Tier 1
These bosses can be fought and defeated very early during a playthrough. Their fights consist of three stages.

View attachment 237061 Rumia

View attachment 237060 Eternity Larva

View attachment 237062 Lily White

Tier 2
These bosses are balanced for late Pre-Hardmode. Their fights also consist of three stages.

View attachment 237066 Hina Kagiyama

View attachment 237067 Sekibanki

Tier 3
These bosses are intended to be fought during early Hardmode, possibly even directly after the Wall of Flesh is defeated. Their fights consist of four stages.

View attachment 237068 Nitori Kawashiro

View attachment 237069 Medicine Melancholy

Tier 4
The bosses on this tier are balanced for players who have already made some progress during Hardmode. Their fights also consist of four stages.

View attachment 237070 Minamitsu Murasa

View attachment 237071 Alice Margatroid

Tier 5
These bosses should be fought by players using Hallowed or Chlorophyte equipment. Their fights consist of five stages.

View attachment 237072 Sakuya Izayoi

View attachment 237073 Seija Kijin

View attachment 237074 Mayumi Joutouguu

Tier 6
The bosses on Tier 6 should be fought by players using Post-Plantera equipment. Their fights consist of six stages.

View attachment 237075 Toyosatomimi no Miko

View attachment 237076 Kaguya Houraisan

Tier 7
The final tier of bosses, for now. Seven stages.

View attachment 237077 Utsuho Reiuji

Videos
Leviathan fighting all bosses that existed as of September 2019 (some attacks have been updated since then).

Showcase of Alice Margatroid and Kaguya Houraisan.

Showcase of Mayumi Joutouguu, the newest boss added to the mod.

Soundtrack
We have created a playlist showcasing the Touhou music remixes included in the mod. Check it out here.
Note that for these videos, the boss AI was altered significantly (such as completely removing movement) and is not representative of normal gameplay.

Download
The newest version of the mod can always be downloaded via the Mod Browser.
Click here for a manual download.

Some bosses (particularly the lower tiers) don't have custom music tracks yet. While fighting these bosses, vanilla Terraria music will play. However, if you want their original themes from the Touhou soundtrack to play instead, you'll need to download Gensokyo Music and follow the instructions in the readme file.

Wiki
Quickly need to look up information about a weapon or enemy from the mod? Click here to get to our wiki.

Discord Community
If you want to give feedback about the mod, suggest features, or occasionally get a sneak peek at stuff that's still in development, join our Discord community.

Credits
The Team:

Eidolon94:
Game design, programming
nnerdragon: Spriting
Ümbra: Music
Mrrp: Spriting
Rhoenicx: Spriting, programming

Special Thanks:

Gufflon: Extensive playtesting

hello thanks for the Mod right now I have a problem when installing the Mod music it works for me but my friend does not start it in the correct way because it simply does not load and all the Mod including the main one stop working when joining my server is there any way to correct that?

Top Bottom