• For issues you find with the Switch and Console releases, please follow this link and give as much detail as possible. This is the speediest way to get info to Pipeworks and get a hotfix in the works.
  • For issues you find with the Mobile 1.3 update, please follow this link and give as much detail as possible. This is the speediest way to get info to DR Studios to look at your issue. Also, some troubleshooting hints here.

German translation mistakes and bugs

Kazzymodus

Staff member
Wanted to make myself useful and German is the only language I know a bit. I can't really do grammar, but I can do general context.

I am reading the strings directly from the localisation files, so I don't have screenshots for you, but it's faster than acquiring the relevant item(s). Still, I'm supplying the file name and key for convenience (and code block, if applicable).

Game.json:

Code:
"Palladium": "Erhöht nach Angriff auf Gegner Lebensregeneration deutlich"

Original translation: "Greatly increases life regeneration after striking an enemy"
'deutlich' means clearly or noticeably. A better translation would be 'stark' or 'bedeutend'.

Code:
"Nebula": "Wenn du Feinden weh tust, hast du die Chance, Buff-Booster zu spawnen.\nHebe sie auf, um gestapelte Buffs zu erhalten."

Original translation: "Hurting enemies has a chance to spawn buff boosters,\npick boosters up to get stacking buffs"
"Weh tun" literally means 'to inflict pain', but is generally used for minor pain or injuries, and not really for atomising something with a rainbow cats. "Wenn du Feinden verletzt" would be better.

Legacy.json:

"LegacyMenu"
Code:
"30": "Mediumcore-Charaktere lassen beim Sterben Beute zurück"

Original translation: "Mediumcore characters drop items on death"
"Beute" means booty (as in loot, not the other kind :naughty:) or prey. "Items" will do just fine.

"LegacyTooltip"
Code:
"9": "Durchschnittlich"

Original translation: "Average speed"
This one is a bit difficult, because it's not consistent with the English version.

In the English version, all speed strings are formatted as [Prefix] Speed, with the prefixes being Snail, Extremely, Very Slow, Slow, Average, Fast, Extremely Fast and Insanely Fast.

In the German version, however, everything slower than average is formatted as "[Prefix] langsam" (meaning slow), and everything faster than average is formatted as "[Prefix] schnell" (meaning fast). E.g. we get Extrem langsam and Extrem schnell for Extremely Slow and Extremely fast respectively. "Durchschnittlich" means average, but without a noun referring to speed behind it, it's pretty much an empty tooltip.

You could go for "Durchsnittlich(e) Geschwindigkeit", (or Mittlerer instead of Durchsnittlich, which is also used for the translation of Average Knockback) which means average speed, but that would be a bit inconsistent. You could make everything [Prefix] Geschwindigkeit", but that would get you very long tooltips. So you'll need a proper German speaker to take a look at that. :)

"LegacyMisc"
Code:
"52": "Bevorstehendes Unglück nähert sich ..."

Original translation: "Impending doom approaches..."
"Unglück" means bad luck or misfortune, or alternatively an accident. A more appropriate term would be "Verhängnis", although I'm not a 100% on that one.

(Something impending approaching is a pleonasm in itself, but I'll let that slide :))

"LegacyInterface"
Code:
"42": "Diese Behausung ist beschädigt."

Original translation: "This housing is corrupted."
"beschädigt" means damaged; I assume the translator thought corruption referred to file corruption as opposed to the actual Corruption (which is called das Verderben). So a better translation would be "Diese Behausung ist verdorben."

Last edited:

Criddle

Staff member
Here are some I noted while quickly checking out the translation earlier:

Recall Potions
Code:
"Erinnerungstrank"

Original translation: "Recall Potion"
"Erinnerungstrank" means "Remembering Potion", it would be more fitting to call it "Rückrufstrank".

The Crimson
Code:
"Das Purpur"

Original translation: "The Crimson"
This is a weird one, since the word 'crimson' refers to a color, so when translated it will most likely also be a color. "Purpur" means purple.
However, the Crimson is not purple, so it doesn't really fit. I think going with colors isn't a good way to go here, since any other would sound pretty weird as well.
I suggest to just keep it based around 'Crimson' like in english. Likewise for things that refer to the crimson in its name, such as Crimtane, which is currently translated into "Purpurtan".

-
Code:
"Leuchtwurzel-Saat", "Wasserblatt-Saat", "Todeskraut-Saat" and "Feuerblüten-Saat".

Original translations: "Blinkroot Seeds", "Waterleaf Seeds", "Deathweed Seeds" and "Fireblossom Seeds".
These are fine as they are, except that "Saat" should be changed to "Saatgut", as "Saat" is usually used to refer to the result of what has been farmed for, not the seeds of it.

Code:
"Mondscheinsaat" and "Tagesblumensaat".

Original translations: "Moonglow Seeds" and "Daybloom Seeds"
The hyphen is missing in these two, compared to the ones above.

Code:
"Zitterdornsamen".

Original translation: "Shiverthorn Seeds"
The Hyphen is missing again, "Seeds" was translated into "Samen" rather than "Saat" like in the other ones here.
-

Indications of the world size in the world select screen
Code:
"Klein Welt", "Mittel Welt" and "Groß Welt"

Original translations: "Small World", "Medium World" and "Large World"
It should be "Kleine Welt", "Mittlere Welt" and "Große Welt".
However, this might be because it's directly taken from the world size selection (Small, Medium, Large = Klein, Mittel, Groß) in world creation.

dragonfly1989

Terrarian
Arrival of the dryad
Code:
"[name] der Dryade ist angekommen"

Original translation: "[name] the dryad arrives."
"der Dryade" means "male dryad". Since it's clearly a female NPC (or else I would have lived a lie O.O) it has to be "[name] die Dryade ist angekommen"

Marf Master

Skeletron Prime
German is my main language and I found some mistakes in the posts here. After this I'll go and check in-game for more mistakes.
Kazzymodus:
Palladium armor set bonus: Deutlich at the end is ok here I think, although it means noticeably here, since the regenaration boost is so strong that it's defenitively noticeable, so this seems better than stark or bedeutend. Stark would be ok too, but bedeutend would be wrong here.
Nebula armor set bonus: Wenn du Feinden verletzt is gramatically wrong here. Wenn du Feinde verletzt is good.
Mediumcore chars: Items would be fine, but there's a translation for items that fits here. It's Gegenstände.
Average speed tooltip: You got the problem here right. This one really is difficult, the only solutions here would be Durchschnittliche Geschwindigkeit or Mittel. Mittlerer is wrong.
Impending doom: Yes, Unglück is wrong here for sure. The translation for doom would be Untergang. To make it gramatically correct it should be "Bevorstehender Untergang nähert sich".
Corrupt housing: You translated that exactly right.

EpicCriddle:
Recall Potion: You got that one right.
Crimson: The problem here's the color-reference, like you said, so keeping it at crimson would be the best. Crimtane is "Crimtan" then.
Seeds: I think everything should be Samen here. I mean like "Zitterdornsamen" is right. Mondscheinsamen, Tagesblumensamen, Leuchtwurzelsamen, Wasserblattsamen, Todeskrautsamen, Feuerblütensamen, these would all be correct.
World creation: Translation here is correct, Kleine Mittlere und Große is correct.

dragonfly1989:
Dryad's Arrival: You solved the problem here correct.

Kazzymodus

Staff member
German is my main language and I found some mistakes in the posts here. After this I'll go and check in-game for more mistakes.
Thanks for double checking my posts! I'm not a native German speaker, so I was bound to go wrong somewhere. :)
Kazzymodus:
Palladium armor set bonus: Deutlich at the end is ok here I think, although it means noticeably here, since the regenaration boost is so strong that it's defenitively noticeable, so this seems better than stark or bedeutend. Stark would be ok too, but bedeutend would be wrong here.
It's more about semantics than it is actually about translation. If the English string would say "Noticeably increases health regeneration." then I'd consider that wrong as well.
Mediumcore chars: Items would be fine, but there's a translation for items that fits here. It's Gegenstände.
I went with Items as that is more consistent across the translation. Gegenstände is only used for throwing items, and nowhere else.

B1G-Kr1T

Terrarian
I just found a translation mistake on the Depht Meter. When im up in space, the Depht Meter shows "Leertaste". "Leertaste" is the german translation for the space button on the keyboard.
The right translation is "Weltall" or "Weltraum". :indifferent::indifferent:

Also the Cosmic Car Key (in german "Kosmischer Autoschlüssel") is shown ingame as
"Kosmische Autoschlüssel". The "r" is missing at the end of "Kosmischer"

Last edited:

Kazzymodus

Staff member
In Content.de-DE.json, under "GameUI":
Code:
"LightingUpdateEveryFrameOff": "Rapid Lighting Off",
"LightingUpdateEveryFrameOn": "Rapid Lighting On"
These are not translated at all, not even with AUS and EIN (off and on) like the other options are. Is this intentional, or an oversight?

Marf Master

Skeletron Prime
I went with Items as that is more consistent across the translation. Gegenstände is only used for throwing items, and nowhere else.
What do you mean with Gegenstände only being used for throwing items? Items are overall Gegenstände, not just throwing items. A Terra Blade for example is an item and a Gegenstand too. A bottle is an item as well as a Gegenstand.

Kazzymodus

Staff member
What do you mean with Gegenstände only being used for throwing items? Items are overall Gegenstände, not just throwing items. A Terra Blade for example is an item and a Gegenstand too. A bottle is an item as well as a Gegenstand.
I was referring to how the word 'items' is translated across the board. Gegenstände is a correct translation of the word 'items', no doubt about that, but in the translation itself, almost every instance of 'items' is translated as 'Items', and only a few times as 'Gegenstände' (such as 'Throwing Items', which becomes 'geworfenen Gegenstand'), so I gave the translation that was more consistent.

Zibbo

Terrarian
In the character selection, you have the option to choice if the character should be stored in the cloud.
It says "Von Wolke weg" if you are able to move it off the cloud and "Zu Wolke hin" if you are able to move it to the cloud.
In the german version of Steam this service is named "Cloud" because there is no german word for the Cloud as a service. So it should be labeled like this:

"Move off cloud" : "Aus Cloud entfernen"
"Move in cloud" : "In Cloud speichern"

Konzui

Terrarian
I also found a translation mistake at the item "The Bee's Knees". Right now it is called "Die Knie der Biene", but it's a grammar mistake!
The right translation would be "Das Knie der Biene"

Zibbo

Terrarian
I also found a translation mistake at the item "The Bee's Knees". Right now it is called "Die Knie der Biene", but it's a grammar mistake!
The right translation would be "Das Knie der Biene"
It is already correct. The english name contains the word "Knees" which is the plural so in german it is "Die Knie der Biene"

Kazzymodus

Staff member
Here's a summary of which of these issues were fixed in today's 1.3.5.3 update:
  1. Corrupted housings changed from 'beschädigt' to 'verdorben'. (Kazzymodus)
  2. Recall Potions changed from 'Erinnerungstrank' to 'Rückruftrank'. (EpicCriddle)
  3. All seeds ('Saat') that were missing a hyphen have had one added. (EpicCriddle)
All other issues noted in this thread are still present. The Dryad one might have been fixed, but as far as I can tell it would require quite a bit of code rewrite, so I doubt it; English uses the same articles for all genders, so deviations in other languages weren't accounted for (this is also why this issue likely extends to other female characters such as the Mechanic and the Nurse).

Leinfors

Quality Assurance
Staff member
Re-Logic
Thanks for the summary Kazzymodus. Some of the issues presented here are under consideration on our side after feedback from the translators; we will end up making judgement calls either for or against them, depending on the situation.

TerraFormer

Steampunker
When you want to add a char or a map to the cloud it is called "zur Cloud hinzufügen" not "zu Wolke hin", when you want to move a char off the cloud, it is called "Von Cloud entfernen" not "von Wolke weg". Hope I could help to make Terraria a even better game :D

Last edited:

Smeik

Terrarian
First of all: Thanks to the team for improving the translations! They are a lot better now than they have been before. German is my first language and I hope I can help to improve the german translation even more. I have taken a closer look at some parts of the game and here is my feedback.

In Settings (Einstellungen):
"Parallax" in German is "Parallaxe", not "Parallax"
"Smarter Cursor" sounds a bit strange in German, maybe it should not be translated and be called "Smart Cursor" instead
"Smarter Cursorpriorität" should be "Priorität Smarter Cursor" (or "Smart Cursor Priorität" if the previous suggestion is accepted)
"On/Off" is sometimes translated with "EIN/AUS" and sometimes with "An/Aus". It should be consistent
In the keyboard controls: "Entern" should be "Enterhaken benutzen"

In Achievements (Erfolge):
In "Goblinklatschen": "Triuphiere" should be "Triumphiere", "Kriege" should be "Krieger" and "ihren Schattenflammenzauberern" should be "ihre Schattenflammenzauberer"
In "Besonders glänzend": "wurden" should be "wurde"
In "Wie ein Fisch aus dem Wasser": I guess "Firschron" should be "Fischron". This is probably also true for the boss itself, but I have not yet been able to check it.

In the game:
A better translation vor "platform" would be "Plattform" instead of "Klappe" (like in "Holzklappe")
"voreilig" is a strange translation for a prefix, maybe "rasch" would be better
"Felder" in some descriptions should probably be "Blöcke"
"Rich Mahagoni": I guess "Hochwertiges Mahagoni" or something similar would be better than "Reiches Mahagoni"
The german translation of "Wand" is "Stab" or "Zauberstab". So "Wand der Funken" should be "Stab der Funken", "Laubwand" should be "Laubstab" and "Lebendes-Holz-Wand" should be "Lebendes-Holz-Stab" or "Stab des lebenden Holzes". This probably also applies to other wands.
For "Web Rope" I would prefer "Spinnennetzseil" instead of "Netzseil"
"Item-Frame" should bei "Item-Rahmen"
"Soziales Helm", "Soziales Hemd", and so on sound a bit strange, though I am not sure what a better translation would be
"Light Pet" should be "Leuchtendes Haustier" instead of "Leichtes Haustier"
In the message when the traveling merchant appears it should be "... der Handelsreisende ist angekommen" instead of "... der Handelsreisender ist angekommen"

I have noticed some things too

Ingame:

In GPS:
Space at the depth meter is called "Leertaste" , which means spacebar
Because outerspace is probably ment, I think changing it to "Weltraum" would be better.
A minor translation error is "Zeigt Position an", it would read better if it was "Zeigt die Position an" , ("the" is missing") maybe intentional , because space to write is limited.

The Imp staff is translated to "Koboldstab" which is "Goblin staff" I dont know a good translation tho.

The minecart buff description says "Fahren in einer Lore",which messes with the order of the words,allthough i dont know how to translate that correctly while expressing the same sentence...

Okay,smeik's post already says that "Soziales Hemd/Hose" sounds wrong,but changing "Soziales Hose" to Soziale Hose" would be better.

I dont know why "Imitator" was changed back to "mimic",I suggest changing it back.

Clorophyte Bar is currently named "Grünalgenbarren",which should just be named "Clorophytbarren",same for the ore,the clorophyte bricks,armor set and weapons out of clorophyte.

World menu:
The world size is currently named a bit incorrectly."Groß welt" should be "Große welt","Mittel welt" probably "Mittelgroße/Mitllere welt" and "Klein welt" "Kleine welt"

Also,for the German language ö/ä/ü is missing,would be better if these letter would be supported (example: Phoenix blaster--->Phönix-Blaster)

I really hope this makes this game a little bit better for germans,i could try spanish and russian,but i dont know these languages too much.
Also , sorry for bad english

Leinfors

Quality Assurance
Staff member
Re-Logic
Can anyone confirm for me whether or not this tooltip is correct or not? Looking at whether or not to log this for fixing.

German Spectre.png

Spectre Set with Hood SHOULD be saying "40% reduced magic damage", but I'm seeing indications that it says 40% increased damage instead?

Criddle

Staff member
Can anyone confirm for me whether or not this tooltip is correct or not? Looking at whether or not to log this for fixing.

View attachment 173859

Spectre Set with Hood SHOULD be saying "40% reduced magic damage", but I'm seeing indications that it says 40% increased damage instead?
Yes, it does say 40% increased damage.
"Um 40% gesenkter magischer Schaden" would be correct.

Last edited:

Bassbeats

Terrarian
I've already sent a message on Twitter but I will write it also in here:
The translation of the "regeneration potion" into German should be "Regenerations-Trank", because it improves the life regeneration and doesn't revive, like the German translation says. The description of the item is then: "Erhöht die Lebensregeneration"

Top Bottom