Official Get Wired For Terraria 1.3.1: Calling All Terrarian Mechanics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm all for infinite flight, but you can get that before the mech bosses. that's a little too early dont you think?
Ya I have thought about it and you are kinda right, which is why I updated the recipe

-Helicopter mount
-40 wire
-25 iron
-15 souls of flight
-12 adamantite/titanium gears
-Rotor Blade
(The rotor blade is sold by mechanic for, lets say 35-50 gold after platera is killed)

sentry turrets, automated and programmable defense systems, holographic blocks with multiple color choices "if paint don't work" that can be seen but players and/or enemies can phase through them or not phase through them depending on the on/off state. blocks that damage enemies besides lava that can be turned on/off. flash lights, spot lights, search lights that activate out puts if enemies enter light zone. custom music box editing tool of sorts. password protected doors,trap doors, chests, switches or anything that the player may not want other players to interact with. trigger fields, force fields. place-able mining machines that mine a preset area that can be operated via wire setups simuler to water pumps. sound blocks that include warning and alarm sounds. i will add more ideas as they come to me

I just got back into terraria with the 1.3 patch. I loved it when it first came out, but it wasn't hard enough and the content wasn't enough to keep me occupied for long. Now I'm sitting here for 2 weeks working my but off in normal just to get to hardmode and manage my corurption.

I want to see something akin to tripwire.

It is a 2 block structure that works like the pumps. Both ends of the tripwire must be connected via wire.

As for the activation, there should be a string in the center. The way this would work is either an actual wire made of say cobwebs, or cobwebs and electrical wire for the build.
The devices must work on a grid pattern. This means the ends can't be at a diagonal from each other. They also can't have blocks between them or it breaks the wire connecting the activators.

This will simply work as a button, but a button you can pass through, instead of stepping on it. It will simply change the state of the whatever it is connected to, say an actuated bridge, one time and then cease to function until triggered again.

I think the best function for this is a hellevator hatch. Too many times have I made my hellevator near my home only to have a newly spawned npc walk right in and plummet to the underworld where he basically dies instantly. This way I can shut the hatch with a switch. If I want to go down the hatch I could change the state by flipping the switch, fall down, activate the tripwire, change the hatch state again to be closed after I go through, meaning that nothing will fall into my hellevator behind me or without my permission.

I would also like to see a device that holds a signal, then sends the signal at a delayed time (1 3 or 5 seconds would work just like the timers) to make things like better traps for player in mines or multiplayer traps between rival teams.

Blocks that physically move when activated would be cool. And maybe certain ways to change how they move? Just a thought.

I understand the desire for "wireless" wiring, but I also understand that removes the feel of wiring. So I offer instead the infrared beam.
It can be aimed either horizontal or vertical, and fires a colored(any wire color connected to it) beam that when recieved by the corresponding infrared reciever, continues to transmit the signal.

I understand the desire for "wireless" wiring, but I also understand that removes the feel of wiring. So I offer instead the infrared beam.
It can be aimed either horizontal or vertical, and fires a colored(any wire color connected to it) beam that when recieved by the corresponding infrared reciever, continues to transmit the signal.

A starbound-like "wireless" system still feels like wiring to me since the connection shows up onscreen as a "wire." That's good enough to replace needing multiple wire colors (which is apparently pretty limited in the engine).

How about blueprints?

An item created blank, but once used on the map allows the recording of an area of a certain size, thus transforming into a blueprint.

Left clicking the blueprint allows viewing the material list required to build the record as well as the option to erase the recording and turn the blueprint back into a blank blueprint.

Right clicking the blueprint allows you to place a ghost image of the record with the players location as the focal point at the moment of activation.

The ghost image is simply a very very pale and ghostly image that appears, but cannot be seen under blocks. When blocks of the same kind as the one the ghost image is showing is placed in the correct location, said block lightly shines.

Right clicking the blueprint again, using another blueprint or exiting the world cancels the ghost image.

This would make building same sized structures repeatedly quite a bit easier as well as perfect moving ofa structure from one location to another without changing anything.

The most likely choice of use, however would be the copying of complex engineering structures that some players might not understand or have mastered completely.

Tractor-like mount which chops down trees and plants automatically as well as place the respective seed in the same location from your inventory would be quite nice as well...

Fishing trap boxes: placeable boxes or chests with a special effect. If underwater in the right conditions and with bait inside, fish may randomly spawn inside the fishing trap box. No crates will spawn inside the trap box, only fish available in that location. Bait consumption per spawn is taken into account only with the bait's and the trap box's fishing power.

Snares- same as fishing trap boxes, but do not use bait. Instead, they have a chance to spawn a random critter from the placed area within. The chance is low with rarer critters having a very very low chance of spawning.

Cages - to trap non-boss mobs and present them like the terrariums! Make an undead zoo with Tim as the main attraction for example!

Sensors - triggering mechanisms which activate when exposed to what they sense: liquid, heat, cold, light, etc...

Last edited:
What I really, really want other than a technology, fishing and gardening revamp is a cooking revamp

Give us a reason to want to eat food other than pumpkin pie!

Maybe just give each a separate possible buff under the well fed buff similar to how it was done with the banners? It should not be too difficult and would give you the chance to be creative with new recepies.

Or else implement stamina which lowers by 1 every terraria hour. For every 5% under 100%, the players movement and attack speed is reduced by 1% (20% max). For every 5% above 100%, the players get a 1% buff to the same stats (20% max).

1. Some kind of entity detection system that activates a mechanical device when a player/mob is near by. Making ones for both or either by themselves similar to the pressure plate would be nice. I love levers and all but if we're going to live in a teched out world we should be able to step on a teleporter and be whisked away simply by our mere presence being in the vicinity of the detection system. Whether that be a small laser that if broken by etc it activates- or simply something that uses the mechanics of knowing the player position in correspondence with itself is entirely up to you. I'd like it very much if I could make walls in which I can walk up and it actuates and when I get a certain distance away it closes- meaning I can make gates that will protect me from mobs/allow me to make continuous movement easier throughout my large bases of operations.

2. I noticed someone mentioned "always actuated" but not seen as actuated- mirage like panels. I think this would be a great idea as well just for simple treasure rooms and secret places you may not want your friends to know about.

3. Wireable chests- I believe that by combining some wire, a teleporter and a chest you should be able to make chests in which you can transport items from one to the other. This would allow two or more people to make bases on either end of the larger maps, sending resources and supplies to each other.

4. As others have suggested numerous times a way to either make wire signal receivers, or making programmable teleporters would be a godsend.

5. Piston like system- there's several uses for this, suffocation traps on friends, making howl's moving castle.

6. An engine block of some sort- something that can be attached to blocks similar to the actuator or a modified block that attaches to it via something in a crafting menu- basically allows for floating islands that drift (Very slowly, just for cosmetic effect really.) towards the opposite direction the block is placed. If two are placed on either side it stays in place- if they are placed down it will float up etc.

That's all I got for now. I'm a bit late to the party because I don't go on the forums anymore.
I still love this game and enjoy it a lot. Hope some of my ideas sound good~ Take care everybody. ^_^

Last edited:
Ok I am new to the forums but a big fan of terraria. I've never got into the wiring contraption side of things but plan to.. I have read 20 pages and further scanned around 5 pages but new ideas got rarer and rarer and a further 20+ pages of repetition didn't appeal to me so If I have missed anything I apologise. I will read more of your fantastic ideas soon I just want to list my suggestions before I forget them...

Now as I already said I havnt really played with wiring yet but the one idea I do have that I have not seen so far as a new work bench. An engineering or inventors workbench where you can craft contraptions or components.. Wires, gears cogs, tools etc and any other components or stuff you would need. Maybe there could be schematics for vanity items or mounts where if you have enough components you can make them at said workbench..
Robot
pets, maybe if you get back to your base and while sorting your inventory if you are like me and its full and you have to drop stuff the robot could have a small inventory and picks them up and holds them for you.

Or again still the robot but maybe you could take it out with you and it learns what you like to collect and helps. Develops. And as it does you can upgrade it with further components and make it bigger and eventually it can be a mount that transforms from a land mount to an air mount... Anyway that's one idea that I just got carried away with.

my other idea runs off alot of your brilliant ideas for statues and pressure plates. More statues is always good I love collecting them. I read about auras somewhere and was thinking maybe if you placed a block. A pressure plate by a statue that it gives off an aura or a curse depending on statue and it give it to players and mobs if they stood on it. I also thought if add more statues what about gargoyles for decor? I've seen some amazing builds that with a touch of a gargoyle would be perfect. And with gargoyles if you wired them they spat little fire balls and their eyes glowed red.

That turned into way more than I actually made note of lol.

Thanks for reading. Have fun in terraria :)

EDIT: While I was playing with my Dad, I remembered something, with the inventor/engineering workbench, or maybe a tool to do it, you could break down items into their natural resources or into random components to use for wiring.

Last edited:
Okay, this idea is a big one and might be a little over-the-top in terms of an update involving an NPC/Wiring; what if you could buy a mechanism similar to actuators that you place down on top of blocks, furniture, tiles, literally anything you could place down in the game and sort of... layered it? Like one thing I've noticed about Terraria is that building things with a 'from the front' perspective just either doesn't work or isn't functional; BEST you can do if you want to do the front of a house is that trick with shadow paint and a teleporter to form a pseudo-door.

Now I'm not sure how well the game engine could handle such things, nor how the coding for all those items needing to be brought to an inactive layer would be, but I could see something like a house that looks like it has nothing on the front, maybe actuated blocks so the player can pass through them, but when you go to the 'door', be it actual door, pressure plate, whatever, you switch your house into an 'active' state, allowing you to access the insides. Crafting stations, chests, what have you. It would certainly provide an interesting depth to house building.

Sadly, I think it's too ballsy of an idea to work; I don't think the devs could do this without substantially altering the game engine and it doesn't sound like that's the kind of update the Wiring Update is intending to be. By all means, I'd LOVE you guys to prove me wrong on that! In fact, I challenge you to!! >:D

But naw, just wishful thinking from a builder; I'll be pleased with whatever DOES come with the update. ...As long as it's not anything to do with the Rod of Discord. RIP early 1.2 RoD; RIP in Spaghetti, never forghetti. Like if you crai every timmy.

- A wall/rooftrap that basically crushes you completely (maybe similar to the jungletemple spike traps but then made from solid blocks)
-
Ya I have thought about it and you are kinda right, which is why I updated the recipe

-Helicopter mount
-40 wire
-25 iron
-15 souls of flight
-12 adamantite/titanium gears
-Rotor Blade
(The rotor blade is sold by mechanic for, lets say 35-50 gold after platera is killed)
Let your rotorblade be dropped by the elf-copters in frost moon then...

First time replying to a thread. I was thinking for the new mechanical contraptions, a sort of fan... that when given electricity, can push players and/or NPC's and/or monsters... but you can make different tiers to it, similar to the armour system... and each new tier would be able to push further and/or push faster and/or just have a bigger jet stream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom