Official Get Wired For Terraria 1.3.1: Calling All Terrarian Mechanics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So... hey Devs. Not to sound ungrateful or anything but... I feel like this subject could use a little bit of your input. You are asking for player input and since then... nothing. How about a "most popular requests" or "dev favorite request from players"... weirdest... anything?

Granted this won't be viewed but eh. Why not simply improve the ocean biome. I find my girlfriend and I spend nearly no time there whatsoever and if it had something creative to it it would be worthwhile. Why not add an underwater coral biome, or a shipwreck infested with hammerhead sharks, mermaids, with a boss whale along side Fishron? Make the ocean larger, with a deeper level. I am just trying to improve what most choose to ignore when they play.

How about a device that allows you to join wires of different colours together - maybe red wire goes in and green comes out with teleporters on each end. This would make it less of a headache when you have a lot of wire in one place for example around a large teleporter hub. At the moment I find myself having to carefully plan the colour and path of wire, often having to make huge detours around existing wire to avoid overlapping with other same wire colour circuits. The new yellow wire will help but not completely alleviate this problem.
GZZMGux.png

Last edited:
...new idea just came to me...

bunny sized PREYING MANTIS (passive mob and/or critter) as well as functional statue of it...

...why not make all the mob statues functional ?

edit: ...farming bones unfortunately requires an easy mode world...I like to be able to use just one world for anything and everything personally...why not allow the skeleton statues to drop bones ?

edit2: ...maybe the preying mantis...attacks ONLY other critters ? ...hmmm...on another note....wanted so badly to post to the person who said "there are logic gates in minecraft?"...lol...YES they are coded into the 3rd dimension through signal strength and direction...smh. ah....going with the Lunar Theme....some kind of solar panels would be nice....to automate lighting. I did want to post about some perhaps more dynamic light sources player made...but not sure about the game engine....spot lights, flood lights, etc.

edit 3: going along the lines of logic gates as well as lighting automation....how about another means of automation....motion detectors ? ... just like the pressure plates not necessarily the color variety but the entity varieties.

edit 4: can't sleep...got wiring and mechanics thinking cap on tonight...lol...deal with it. on a side note...loves and hates hoiktronics.

edit 5: ok fluid mechanics...but just thought of how about a MIST block? ...so going along the lines of mechanics...why not the ability to in world melt placed slimes blocks and depending on what biome it is in...get different types of player made fluids? ....similar to how obsidian is made from water/lava....however slime blocks would have to be melted into a pool first then when say come into contact with lava in a corrupt biome...you get toxic sludge liquid which deals debuffs? etc etc etc
Wow... so many edits

First post, hopefully it gets noticed at this point in such a huge thread which I've only read a small portion of, but....

An idea I've had for a long time revolves around inventory management and wiring (particularly, inventory being the player inventory as well as a vault inventory; I've been playing since the initial steam release, and great strides have been made in inventory management, but it can still be pretty unweildy at times and is rarely fun (unless maybe your into that sort of thing).

One feature would be to add magic chests which can be linked such that items added in one chest are available in all other linked chests (much like a piggy bank, but not player specific). These could simply be wired, or use a color system (i.e. all red magic chests access the same storage space)

Another would be to allow generic chests to be linked for the purposes of quick-stacking, basically allowing you to direct spillovers.

Next, a way to have items removed from a special chest (call it a junk drawer) and quick stacked to available linked chests for storage. This feature would operate on a switch/timer/trigger, rather than being an innate effect. (To be most useful, the netwok used to send items from a junk drawer should not link it's target chests together for the purpose of stacking as described above)

Similarly, a way to Restock from all linked chests or from the junk drawer. (If you've got a big construction project, you can fill your inventory by splitting up one stack then doing a restock, the required material will be located within your storage network)

Latstly, a more radical change, that would likely be difficult to name/theme, and would require new UI elements. But a way to SEARCH your inventory network for an item (by name, type etc) and acquire it, without manually searching all of the chests...

All in all, I think these capabilities would put the last nail in the coffin of the time consuming drudgery of inventory management of the olden days.

Also, a few long range wiring ideas, only one solution is really needed:

The wire worm: a hovering worm which leaves wire in it's wake while being 'activated' (either from the player inventory, or for free)

Wire feed: A solid block, which when wrenched, extends any wire attached to the top/bottom/left/right by one in the appropriate direction and color, deducting wire from the player appropriately. Optionally, the wires could follow, ignore, or stop when they contact terrain.

Optical relays: A block which can transmit/receive a signal from another optical relay on the same row or column of the world so long as no solid block obstructs the line of sight. These could be made to be directional (only transmit/receive from one face) or multi-directional.

expert mode wiring requires battery item. battery is charged by solar stuff or other ways of generating power (wind turbines and stuff like that)

Last edited:
beach balls can activate pressure plates (useful for making sports minigames)
a wireless receiver/sender system for wires

A trap that hurts you when you try to go across a connected wire while it's active would be cool.
Some sort of actuator-like item that makes it so only wire colors of your choosing can activate a mechanism.

Greetings Terrarians, from the other side of the 1.3 update!

Thanks so much for your enthusiastic response to the update thus far - as well as your assistance and patience in catching and squashing so many nasty bugs. With Mac/Linux launching this week, Mobile/Console update news in the air, and the exciting announcement around the new Nintendo versions, it is safe to say that it is a fantastic time to be a Terrarian!

With all that in mind, the team sat down and started to lay out some ideas around what we may want to explore for future updates. We have a handful of ideas and a general vision for where we would like to take things coming out of that - and that begins today with our announcing that Terraria 1.3.1 will be focused around upgrading the wiring & mechanics systems in Terraria!

View attachment 69102
(Image courtesy of @ajidot)​

Though simple on the surface, the capabilities of Terraria's mechanic system are deceptively complex - as evidenced by many of the amazing creations our fans have developed over time. From the Fountain in the 1.2 Trailer to the more-recent computers (and blackjack machines! ;) ) of 2015, you never cease to amaze us. That got the team thinking - what if we expanded upon that toolbox of capabilities? Even better, what if we asked you guys for your ideas in doing so?

divider.png

Well, that is exactly what we are going to do in this thread. You get a sense for what we are trying to do with 1.3.1 - now we need your ideas for how wiring and mechanics can be taken to the next level. To submit your idea:
  • Simply post your idea in this thread which as much detail as you can provide.
  • Anything is fair game: new items, new switches, more wire colors, etc.
  • The team will read through all of your ideas along the path to development for 1.3.1, and incorporate any new ideas that seem really cool
  • Of course, we already have our own internal list of "stuff", but we will keep that a secret for now.
divider.png

Ok, we will let you get right to it - we look forward to hearing all of your amazing ideas.

Thanks!
Hi Loki I'm sorry about earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom