Official Get Wired For Terraria 1.3.1: Calling All Terrarian Mechanics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great to hear it!
my ideas:
Wire rolls. you can craft wire rolls with 100 wires. you set it on point a and go to point b the wire will automatically go the shortest distance to point b and put the wire down. you can craft them in every wire colour. this would solve the wire placing problem.
l_271310_450.jpg

how about adding electricity to the game. all the crafting stations have these cool animations but they work with magic stuff. it would be fun to activate the machines with electricity and we could have energy sources like
batteries which are crafted with slime gel. the slime gel has acid like property which is crafted to make batteries.

Edit: adding rolling platforms. they transport items and coins from a to b. you place them down in a row and they transport you, npcs, coins, items....
roller.gif
like this.
LED lamps: you can craft different types of led lamps with gems. activating them via wires.

Last edited:
-Functional gears(transmitting signals)
-"Pipe" wires- Like regular wires, but don't activate anything they overlap. They can still transmit signals and be connected with the corresponding wire color. Placed with "color" Pipe Wrench

whoah, I have a ton of ideas for this.
gonna need a spoiler for thissun

first of all- some statue tweaks-
(all of these only occur when activated)
bomb statues should shoot lit bombs out in a random direction- far enough not to blow themselves up. giving bombs is a bit op
anvil statues, when wired, should iact like an anvil. this could be useful for adventure maps
potion statues should slightly increase potion duration/effect in their radius
sunflower statues act like sunflowers
angel statues, if they are activated near where a player dies, reduce respawn time
hammer, axe and pickaxe statues increase mining speed
boot statues make you go faster
all weapon statues slightly increase damage with their respective weapon
shield statues add 1 defense. this stacks with a cap of 3
also, new traps
lihzard heat ray- 36 damage, cannot be dodged, inflicts on fire-
a more fitting version of the lihzard dart trap

sawblade- a spike that can be turned on and off.

sawblade track- placeable horizontally/vertically, cannot curve. when activated, a sawblade will go back and forth on it

spike trap- a short ranged spear trap that shoots up instead of down. found in dungeon

slippery rock- found in caves, usually near water droppers. are covered in algae and are much more slippery than ice

jagged rock- found at the bottom of big drops. you take more fall damage on them. has ebonstone, crimstone, and ice variants

soft mud- found in and near
(sorry , got some forum bugs here, keep reading n the next spoiler)
jungle water. you sink into it, and it slows you down. reduces fall damage
(sorry, I got sorta off topic with the last 3 there)

and here is some miscellaneous stuff
drain- acts like an inlet pump, except it only needs to be activated once, pumps water much faster, and can only link to an outlet pump below it

(cant think of a good name for thissun)- delays wire pulses going through it. comes in different
intensities

wire goggles- accessory, lets you see all wiring stuff. upgrades allow it to make traps glow, like with a dangersense potion

EMP- item. uses 30 mana, when activated, stops all wiring in a 10 block radius from working. great for navigating lihzard temples

transformer- refreshes wire range, allowing pulses to travel further(for those long range teleporters)

spectre wrench set- self explanatory

wire reel- item ,comes in all wire colors. allows you to place wire downwards like rope, or when not holding still, you can run and place, and it will not leave any gaps
(pretty much a less precise wrench upgrade for long range wiring)

electric fence- a background object that does low damage and high knockback when activated

television- attracts npcs when activated. makes annoying noises

ammunition feeder- wiring this to any cannon will allow it to fire unaided, has an integrated ammo slot.endgame
tier

remember,, if you have any questions or comments, quote this

Last edited:
Sonic screwdrivers. The screwdrivers activate mechanical items as long as the mouse pointer is hovered over the item in question.
@SonicR made a mod for this. I love it so much. :dryadpassionate:

Definitely looking forward to a big engineering update!

I have just one major wish: more wire colors. That alone would be a huge game changer, and would not only enable many more engineering builds, but would decrease operation time and compression. Terraria is constrained by the fact that it is 2D, and more wire colors would almost be the equivalent of an extra dimension.

Regarding logic gates:

There have been a number of requests for them, although I'll leave it up to the devs to decide whether to include them. Since Terraria is pulse-based (you don't generate sustained currents through wires in Terraria, you send pulses through them) we don't need to bother with traditional logic gating. In fact, I recently created a thread detailing how to build "giant logic gates" and included a number of examples:

http://forums.terraria.org/index.ph...ic-gates-example-applications-included.29987/

I might add more to this thread later.

Based on the list of Decorate Statues on the wiki, I have some statue ideas that could provide new mechanics.

Aura Statues - When activated, these will create an aura around the statue that will provide a buff to the player as long as they stay in it and will count down after they leave the aura just like Honey. For instance, Potion Statues could increase the chance of not using materials while crafting like the Alchemy Bench does or provide an increased duration of buff potions when used. The Anvil Statue could do the same as the former, giving players the chance to keep materials when crafting regular items (though it may only work with items on the anvil itself). Perhaps Shield Potions could increase the defense of the player just like the Dryad's ability. Or perhaps the Gloom statue provides a debuff to the player and / or monster causing them to get slowed while in the aura.

Aura statues could modify non-entities as well. For instance, the Boomerang and Bow statues could affect boomerangs and arrows while inside the aura, causing them to increase in velocity and damage while inside the aura but losing those properties when outside of the aura.

Ground Modifying Statues - These are similar to the Aura Statues but only modify the ground within a certain radius. When these statues are active, the affected ground glows (or maybe has a particle effect on it) and causes changes to NPCs or the environment. For instance, the Tree statue could increase the growing speed of plants and trees (though this may work better as an Aura statue for those with pot farms), the Cross and Corrupt statues damages enemies on the ground depending on their alignment, and the Gargoyle statue slows enemies significantly. The Cross / Corrupt statues could also work as ways to spread Hallow & Crimson / Corruption respectively. It could also be used to treat specific areas another Biome. For instance, perhaps activating a Cross statue at the Ocean would allow Hallowed enemies to spawn as well.

Buff Statues - When right clicked after being activated, they provide a buff just like the Magic Mirror. Fairly simple stuff. Examples could include increased mining ability from the Pickaxe Statue, increased speed from the Boot Statue, Sword / Bow / Spear statues increase the abilities of those items, and so on.

Trap Statues - These are statues that work as attacks either on a timer or when enemies are close similar to minions. For instance, a Bow statue would fire an arrows, the Sword statue would slash all around it, the Spear statue would stab left and right, and the Boomerang statue would fire a boomerang. It would be interesting if these statues could attack players, adding an interesting trap mechanic for both PvE and arenas / dungeons for players to traverse. It'd also be interesting if you could upgrade / modify the attacks as well. For instance, a normal wooden bow with wooden arrows would be fine but how about a Hellwing Bow with Wooden arrows, a Shadowflame Bow, or just a normal Bow with Venom arrows or Ichor Arrows or Cursed Arrows. It would add an interesting level of complexity though Bows would be the only one you'd have to refill. (Gun, Rocket, and Throwing Item statues would also be pretty rad)

"Pet" Statues - Some of the statues have enemies in them but they could be just cosmetic ones. A Bee Statue, for instance, could light up when activated and spawn harmless bees that fly around the statue. Same for Imp, Gloom, and Corrupt Statues.

Other Notes
- Statues could be given more effects to show that they're active. Aside from the auras, it would be interesting to see a particle effect or a moving part of the statue like a turning of the Pillar in the Pillar statue or a filling of the bottle in the Potion statue.

That's all I can think of, hope it helps!

Hype! Super excited for this update. For one, I'd like more statue features. For example, a Sword Statue should buff all melee damage nearby, the shield statue could buff your defense by 8, etc.

Ooh, wiring stuff!

Well, the first things that come to mind:
- At LEAST 2 new wire wrench colors (yellow and pink? Fits the Team Colors!)
- A multi-color wrench (right click to "click" through color options)
- Wireless transmitters to convey wire signals over difficult to wire locations, or long range (And for wireless teleporters, please!)
- A variation of Snickerbobble's florescent beams
- Some new functional mob statues, perhaps other functional statues with misc. features
To it I have to say what if we could turn on Sunflower Statue and Tree Statue for decorative light like Mushroom Statue. Activated Sunflower Statue could give Sunflower buff.

Okay, one more thing and then I'll stop. This is only slightly related, but there should be an accessory and tool that allows to place and toggle blocks into their inactive states, so people can build with actuated blocks without having to go through the trouble of wiring each one manually. The tool would just switch blocks between being active and inactive (or there could be a separate tool for both), and the accessory would automatically toggle blocks when their placed like the paint sprayer.

Placing wire is quite tedious and messy at the moment, I'm always placing random branches off the main lines and having to go back and cut them, or I end up with gaps without realising, maybe something to make wire placement smoother? Or even different lengths of wires?
More colours would help a lot too.
Or even something like a 'bridge' to cross over two same coloured wires without attaching them?
Something like
5333e2dd832066d31f7d7234568972bf.png

I dunno just a thought lol..

How about, a big red button that sends a constant signal (not separate ticks) for as long as it is being hit by projectiles? So that you can send a single signal with a projectile like, say, a bullet, and a constant signal by a persistent signal with a Beach Ball. Other devices could also emit constant signals.
There could also be devices that need constant signals, like a bridge emitter, that sends out a solid light bridge for a certain distance as long as it gets a signal.
Flame traps could also constantly send out flames, and more fun stuff.

Exit-Only Teleporters that won't teleport stuff back even if something hits the pressure plate on the other side.
Fade out wires colors that don't match the held wrench.
Wall mounted Grenade dispensers that drop live grenades when activated. Maybe Bee, Molotov, Sticky, Bouncy variants as well.
And wasp grenades & wasp grenade dispenser for hardmode.
A trap that is like a stationary magnet sphere.

Ya... those are my ideas.

Something that delays signals after they have been transmitted would be great. Something that works similarly to the repeater in minecraft would be extremely useful IMO.

Yeah, it would probably be a lot easier for the devs to read through this if people didn't do that. Though I guess complaining about it isn't helping either.

Unless we get some specific rules laid down for how to make proposals, I think everything is going just fine so far. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom