Official Get Wired For Terraria 1.3.1: Calling All Terrarian Mechanics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My general feeling is that wiring is neat, and more complex functionality would be good, but the bigger issue is that a number of players simply don't use it because there's little obvious and apparent utility. These players might wire up an actuated wall-door, or maybe use pumps to make fishing holes, but nothing more complicated than that. In general, my suggestion would be to add more utility, and personally I think the focus needs to be on that over functionality, although both can certainly coexist.

There are a lot of good suggestions in the thread for functionality, many of which I think can be covered by two (maybe three) relatively simple functional pieces:

1) A "continuous" timer that sends a pulse every frame versus a timed interval (and the C fits on the sprite!)
2) A pressure plate, button, or other interact-able object that acts as a continuous switch as above.
3) (Optional) Logical gates, although with pulse-based timing this doesn't work as well. Having a "continuous" timer ameliorates this somewhat.

With that out of the way, the bigger design space to tackle is utility. Right now wiring doesn't interact with a lot of systems, and in some inconsistently (statues). So, with that in mind:

1) All statues should have some kind of effect when wired. See all of the examples in the thread. This makes statues more valuable and wiring more attractive. Make the Chest Statue a third player-linked inventory (like the Piggy Bank/Safe) that functions when wired.

2) Gathering bait for fishing can be a huge pain in the butt. A big QoL feature which would be easy to implement is a Worm Statue that you can wire up to drop worms. It doesn't have to be worms, any bait would work. This not only provides more incentive for wiring, but also makes fishing a little easier as well. I wouldn't recommend anything more than this though (like an automated system), since you don't want to trivialize that aspect of the game.

3) With the introduction of the Alchemy Table in 1.3, I think utilizing the wiring system to provide that benefit to some (but not all) other recipes would be interesting. Perhaps wiring up some basic crafting stations would give them a chance not to consume materials as well, although 33% might be high. I'm thinking something like an Wired Work Bench where you have a chance to consume *less* materials - a 50% chance to spend 50% materials (minimum 1).

4) Speaking of alchemy, there are some improvements that could be made to growing here, and wiring is a useful and thematic way to do so. It would be nice if there were a way to make plants bloom outside of their normal ranges. Perhaps this could be some sort of wired Growing Lamp that makes a plant below it bloom under any condition. Maybe it could be a Watering Hose that causes plants to grow faster.

5) For those people that would like to reduce the grind of item hunting, a possible use for wiring could be an effect that enhances drop chances. Someone above mentioned wiring up banners and trophies, and I think that would be a good way to implement it without completely bypassing the grind. After all, if you've already killed 50 monsters, taking that 1% drop and upping it to 2% isn't a drastic change, and anything above 2% you statistically should have gotten already.

6) With Overworld coming up, having some sort of automated terraforming could be an interesting addition to the game. Clentamination is the quick and expensive option (but needs more solutions...), and Terraforming could be the slow and less-expensive option. Plop down a device, and it slowly spreads the biome just like the Corruption/Crimson/Hallow spread right now. With the pulsing nature of timers right now, you could say it has a 1% chance to spread biome - about one block every minute and a half with a one second timer. Make it limited to a specific radius, and it's a decent fire-and-forget option that isn't grossly out of line. No more beehive? No problem - the Honeyformer creates a new one for you!

7) A minor suggestion that after typing it I'm less keen on - either allow Water Candles to be toggled on/off, or introduce a new option that allows something similar (Candle Statue?). Again, this is an example of something that has a lot of utility, has all the pieces already in play, is not unbalancing, but avoids the hassle of placing and picking up Candles over and over again. It could even be a recipe that uses the Water Candle so that the player has to choose something mobile or something triggered.

"Wireless wires"!
Sounds weird, but you place a thing next to a teleporter or something, then you put the second thing next to the switch and yeah....
I would make it pretty expensive, and avalible after killing a boss.
They work well when places next to other wires.
I came up with this when I was making a teleporter to hell.
EDIT: Explanation for those who don't understand. The red lines is wires, and the brown thing is the wireless wire things. Oh, and the "sun" is a lamp. -

Neons!
You can walk through them, and they are invisible when not active!
Also neons that change colors!

Day/Night sensor!
Wonder what that does :)

Pattern electricity generators!
They can be triggered, and they are different types. One that pulsates, one that behaves like a heart and many other.

PS. Sorry for my english ;). And I haven't read all pages of discussion so I don't know if something already have been requested like this.

Attachments

• Namnlös.png
    Namnlös.png
    11.4 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
I haven't read the previous 21 pages of discussion, so I don't know if it's already been suggested. Tempted to register over the years, but this is it, I can't stand aside any longer.

Wire-related means to crimson/corruption/hallow. I'd love to see some kind of a system (purity statue? Purity field generator?) which would prevent my house from getting corrupted/crimsoned/hallowed. Clentaminator is good, fair enough, but it's an active solution and I'd love (usually playing with GF, who is into building stuff and pretty much nothing else) to see a systemic/passive solution to that.

Also, the kite-wire/wirespool mentioned earlier, teleports are too tedious to make to have fun using them later.

Clentaminator is good, fair enough, but it's an active solution and I'd love (usually playing with GF, who is into building stuff and pretty much nothing else) to see a systemic/passive solution to that.

Dedicating your suggestion to girlfriend? D'aww... Support!

First, and most important, wireless transmission systems. Having to wire teleporters is simply not fun in their current incarnation.

Second is new sysem that could really help adventure map makers - Monster emblems.
Craftable from monster's banner and [some endgame materials, maybe moonlord drops?] Monster Emblem is placeable furniture that, when activated with a wire, changes spawns in a location to a specific type of monster. For example, zombie and skeleton emblems in crimson would suppress the spawning of Crimson mobs entirely and make only zombies and skeletons spawn.
Spawned enemies, just like statue spawns, do not have drop table, they're just there to provide challenge.

The last suggestion is a bit of a shift in progression - some sort of "makeshift wrench/makeshift wirecutters" item that does not have normal wrench's insane range and only places red wire, but lets us start mechanizing the base earlier. This is balanced by the fact that before mechanic joins you'll have to search caves for wire, pressure plates and traps. This tweak also makes dart traps much more useful, as you can start using them when they're still strong against enemies.

Now, I may still be on holiday, but I simply refuse to stand idly and watch whilst you have all the fun. Well then, let's get this show on the road, shall we?

I propose that when a circuit is activated, a small but noticeable spark travels down the length of the wire, at a given speed (more on this shortly). This would make constructing and testing circuits a less arduous task, as one would be better able to observe the interactions and functions of said circuit, and using this information, improve its design and create a more efficient circuit.

I also propose that different wires should possess differing conductivities. This would be a property of the wire in the form of a quanitity, one that would dictate the speed of aforementioned spark; depending on the conductivity of the wire used, said spark could propagate faster or slower. This would open a whole new world of possibilities, owing to the multitude of possible delays between the input (i.e. the triggering mechanism) and the output (the desired result) this would create.

Last edited:
Hi!!!Most button is only activated by a character or a cube , a cube made of 50 stone, 10 Martian plates ( so you can make the companion cube , this must be added to the crafting of light showers 10 ) , the panel of 20 faith Kraft Martian plates , any gemstone 2 wires , casts the player and other items on the chosen distance ( does not apply to the bosses and "heavy" mobs )

Wire cutters and wrenches now become material to be upgraded to a better one that places farther and faster(because sometimes place slower then ur character) an idea for an upgrade since we have specte paint tools y not specte wiring tools

also wireless connectors and since they will be amazing since it takes all the work out of wiring make them either very expensive or very hard to obtain or both

Different color teleporters
This would be so cool like make it the cooler they are the more expensive

How about portals that had different functions like or better yet tiers of them like replace the cheap one there is now and make it low tier like make it not go as far cuz it's kinda OP that a portal that can reach super super far only costs

Make different types of on and off switches like we have a switch and a lever but there can be so many more switches like a light switch slightly different from the switch make a lever that says off and on on it make rainbow once add different color switches idk there's so many possibles think of some

Add and extra wreck or two that are different colors

Add new wires that's right the wire its self make like showing wire
Wire that always shows on ur screen I'm sure some pll would appreciate that add coiled wire that wen placed places a bunch of wire and add a function (or just another set of wires)
That allows it to go vertical and horizontal and there's so many more possibilities

Motion senser pretty obvious way this does activates wen near it (doesn't work for mobs or can be changed to work on mobs) also allow us to change the radius by adding more or just adjusting it with a specia tool (which brings a great idea into mind a tool specifically for a just all the different mechanical items in the game)

Different rails in the game right now all we have are regular and booster rails like add some confetti rails that shoot confetti wen gone over better yet add all sorts of those kinda rails like cursed flame gold, explosion ,ichor, water lighting grass dirt just tons of animated rails be creative I know u guys are great with that

Different accessories like instead of add a wrench that increase rand and placement speed make it an accessory instead (also just came to mind didn't think it needs a point but the giant wrench that the mechanic holds make that a weapon but also like an accessory I would love to have that on my back more then it be a weapon) back on topic an accessory that has a chance to not consume wire that would be really cool all tho u guys would need to think of a way to make it were ppl aren't duplicating the wire

Pressure plates make some more with cool design also u can steal the animated rail idea that would be even cooler

Make more second timers like 10 20
1 min who nows also may be one that activates at every morning and also one that does it at night and instead of it just switching on or off it would switch on for a moment and then turn off again this would work great for farms which brings me to my next idea

Auto seed planters idea now wat it would look like or how it would work because I'm not a wiz with how to make complex stuff work but u guys are so ya get on it :)

Also a convaer belt this once pretty simple just like a mine track but it would be activated by a switch and then would carry items and ppl if u want to wat ever direction u have it go

Which brings me to my next idea it's pretty much a hopper from mine craft items would fall in it and it would go into a chest these last few ideas would be great for farms or even mob farms which are a huge part of the game so I'm sure they would be greatly appreciated if they were in the game

And I think that is the end of my list of ideas I'll be honest I was like man it's gonna be a short list I don't have many ideas and then this happened lol so hope my ideas are worthy of terraria and that some of them get added in I listed a lot I would imagine that one of them would end up in the game but I guess only will tell good luck with the next update

Later

Ooh, wiring stuff!

Well, the first things that come to mind:
- At LEAST 2 new wire wrench colors (yellow and pink? Fits the Team Colors!)
- A multi-color wrench (right click to "click" through color options)
- Wireless transmitters to convey wire signals over difficult to wire locations, or long range (And for wireless teleporters, please!)
- A variation of Snickerbobble's florescent beams
- Some new functional mob statues, perhaps other functional statues with misc. features

This please, especially the wireless and florescent beams parts<3
Not sure how it would be implemented but either have the wireless tiles have numbers that you set, or a ton of different colored ones?

A simple suggestion from me, that may or may not be so simple to implement, might have been suggested before but really just too lazy to read through 22 pages. '-'

Some sort of lock for doors, I know there's a word for it but, I'm Swedish, and can't remember it. *yawn*
Basically, you have one item in your inventory, you wire a door/lamp/anything to a small box, when you get into the proximity of the box with the item in your inventory, it activates whatever it's wired to and deactivates whenever you move away from it, never have to manually open up doors/turn lights on/actuate blocks with switch/whatever again.

Could take it one step further (mostly for multiplayer servers) and add 4 or more equipment slots, and have the key items be numbers from 0-9, and when you place those in the correct order in these equipment slots, door/whatever is connected will open/activate.
Would require an additional item that is 4 tiles wide/tall that you place and connect whatever to and when one of the tiles are hit with a hammer/right clicked, it will change number, this then being the code needed, an example, the 4 wide/tall lock item has the numbers 1-2-3-4, the key items now need to be in that order or what I suggested below which would be a bit better.

Could also be something like right clicking the key item will bring up an interface and you type/click arrows in this interface to choose number for this particular item to match the code of the lock.

Could also be color codes for easier implementation.

Yes, I probably made it sound more complicated than it needs to be, I often do that when I'm tired and can't think.

EDIT: Reading the post above mine (should have read it when he posted it), his motion sensor idea is fairly similar but not quite.

Last edited:
Well I have 3 Suggestions for the Wire-Mechanics.

-Wireless Teleporters, maybe that u give them a certain Number and the one with the same number connects.

-New Pressure plates: So far a pressure plate activates or deactivates something, I think we should get one that only activates as long as somebody stands on it.

-Block Detector: Maybe a marker that is placed in the background like wire, but as soon as block is placed where that block detector is, the Block detector will send out an active Signal.

Those were my suggestions ^^.

Add more colored wrenches, also add a mega wrench that you can liek switch between colors, maybe it could be awarded as a fishing quest reward

Add more colored wrenches, also add a mega wrench that you can liek switch between colors, maybe it could be awarded as a fishing quest reward
Or a mechanics quest reward. *wink wink*

:p

She's found in the dungeon, so perhaps give her quests which require you to find certain items which she dropped, by killing a certain mob in the dungeon which she *believes* took the item from her, may not always be correct. :p

Should suggest this elsewhere but, as the quest rewards would be new stuff, mostly from this suggestion thread, I will just leave this here and we'll see what happens.

Last edited:
i personally want to see a form of Trap that projects UPWARD.

we have Horizontal (Flame, Dart) and Downward (Spike ball, Spear)

but nothing that shoots or projects UP

Guys I have a great offer for terraria 2!!!! Sorry for off topic. Look, you can add the planet on which you can travel. Add a space ship that could fly on these planets. The suit he will craftychica of lenses and silk, or fabric and balloons with air to breathe on planets, add new swords, ores, armor, Pets, bosses, biomes, artifacts, new things. To this you can move some bosses on the planet.

It's actually pretty easy to improve the wiring system!

Just give us 2 things:
  1. Logic gates
  2. Flip Flops
BAM. We won't need anything more ever again :D However, since you asked I got a few other ideas...

Terraria is obviously lacking...

the option to wire cannons and bunny cannons to a munition storage so they can be fired and perhaps also turned remotely. An additional high tier cannon (e.g. Martian Beam Cannon) and the ability to place cannons upside-down on ceilings would open up another dimension for base defenses! Also think about a stationary clementation cannon to keep the hardmode biomes at bay!

A universally usefull addition...
would be wired chests! Ideally, it would be great to have them perform two tasks:
a) trigger various chest functions such as quick stack, sort and rename.
b) move all contents to the next chest in it's sequence of wired chests.
Automated storage facilities off-screen anyone?

In case you still want to develop more...
there is a lot to be learned from an old wiring plugin for Tshock which among other things offered transmitteres (full broadcast as well as frequencies), time and event sensores, seperate on and off signals, signal converters, wired signs support, seperate input / output pins and a whole lot of other improvements which fortunately already made it into official Terraria.

Finally, if you want to blow my mind...

you could let us write signs by connecting a number or letter statue to that sign and fire a signal. Of course, additional functional characters like line break or delete would be of immense value! (Stdout)

Shoot! Hit the bottom of page 22 so nobody is ever going to read this >.<

Last edited:
Haven't read all the pages of suggestions, so not sure if it has already been suggested, if yes, then sorry.
Endless wire coil - Crafted from 3996 wire, just like endless quiver and musket pouch, basically infinite wire. Pretty expensive, but if you want to do huge wire creations you might need even more than this much wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom