Official Get Wired For Terraria 1.3.1: Calling All Terrarian Mechanics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imma just spitball some ideas, even though I can't think of many practical uses for them, I'm sure others can.

Input Controller - When placed over wire, makes it so signals can only go one way, and can block signals entirely. (Already possible by using statues, but would be nice to have a compact way)
Conveyor Belts - Placed on the wire layer, slowly/quickly (toggled via wire) moves entities (monsters/items/players/NPCs) in any direction if they're touching said spots -- a more aesthetically pleasing -- albeit less flexible, probably -- hoik, basically.
Visible Wire - Exact same as normal Wire, except it always remains visible.
Potion traps - Applies a potion effect (of whichever trap you have) for (whatever is balanced) seconds -- probably as an AoE similar to explosion traps, working on monsters too. Can also add all the debuffs as possible ones too. Would be randomly found generated over the world with 'anything triggered' pressure plates, so you could run into skeletons with more armor, regenerating health, jumping higher, the fun is endless.
Laser trap - Shoots a beam laser in any direction, same power as a spear trap, and has whatever cooldown and fire duration seem balanced.
Spring Block - Acts like a Pink Slime Block when landed on, but when stood on launches entities upwards when activated.
Stationary Portals - Like the portal gun portals, but placed as blocks, connected by wires and able to transport projectiles,item drops,mobs, etc.
Incinerator - Destroys any item dropped in front of its tile space when activated, regardless of rarity.
Jukebox - Will randomly play any active music box connected to it by wire, and change the song when activated.

This last ones are a stretch as far as being related to wiring, but I figured I'd throw them here anyways.

Block Explosive - The opposite of an Explosive, would fill in an area with whatever block it's made out of... and still do the same damage to any entity within its radius, of course.
Player Statue - Spawns a hostile replica of the closest player when activated, including everything tool/weapon/accessory in their inventory and the knowledge of how to use them. Would be able to damage and be damaged by monster attacks, but would focus on trying to kill the player.

Here is a couple of ideas for you developers.

.super wrench (increases block range)

.you saw this coming.super cutters (increases block range)

.rainbow wrench (allows to change color of the wrench) mabey u have to get all colors of the wrench huh huh we'll I bet a bunch of people have said this already hmm...well ok how about this.

.oh oh a bullet trap (crafted by 5wire.one flint lock pistol and 10 stone.
A ha bet no one thought of that we'll I hope they didn't hmmmm.... let's try this one.

.this a kinda far fetched one.grenade trap (10 grenades.5wire.20stone) huh huh pretty good one right =/ ok ok how about this one.

.hmmmm...OH! A lava ball launcher (10buckets of lava.10wire.20obsideon blocks)
What about that. =) hmmm.....aaaa how about this one.

.a craftable ball and chain trap you know the one in the dungeon ok I just made up three of the same recipe but different sizes (small.10chain.1boulder.medium.20chain.3boulders.large.30chain.5boulders)
Now that's cool right ooo here's a idea.

.harpy statue (you can find it in the software buildings on the floating islands)
Now that would be useful right well im out of ideas so I will repost more ideas I come up with more.

And I will see u later Wolfie out peace
[DOUBLEPOST=1439686436,1439686313][/DOUBLEPOST]And one more thing... A translator would be handy to know what those darn NPCs are saying

5 gold from the mechanic on a blood moon

How about a machine that you build a starter frame above ground or where ever you want, and it digs downwards automatically at whatever horizontal radius you set the frame to; saw something like this in a Minecraft mod. I figure it could dig down automatically so you can spend more time being out and about, and it saves you from digging the initial shaft for a hellavator or whatever. It would have a chest attached/it's own inventory so whatever it mined out would be placed in there.

I could see something like like an accessory or device that tells you what your automated quarry is digging, kinda like how you have a device that tells you what ore is nearby, but tells you what your quarry machine is actively digging. Worried about chests getting in the way and being impossible to mine with stuff in them? Have the quarry jam or even announce to the player 'Your automated quarry has jammed!' when it hits something it can't dig. Perhaps it requires different drill bits to mine certain blocks? For instance, you can't mine Lihzahrd brick until you beat Golem and and get the 'Lihzahrd Bit', or can't mine Ebonstone till you beat Eater of Worlds and get a drop or craft an item called the 'Corrupt Bit' with an alternate for the Crimson. I could see lava being something that stops your quarry as well until you get the Molten bit, or higher tier of bit in general.

Each bit could mine at it's own speed, similar to how alloys and such determine the speed and strength of a pickax, the better the material your quarry's drill bit is made out of, the faster it will mine and the higher tier ore it can mine. Like a copper quarry drill bit couldn't mine Demonite/Crimtane, and it would mine reeeaaally sloooowly, where as a Molten/Hellstone drill bit will dig decently fast, and a Hallowed drill bit will dig at an even faster rate, with the highest being Luminite. Maybe there could be special drill bits, or perhaps some have special qualities; perhaps the Molten drill bit automatically smelts the ores it digs up into bars, or maybe there's an attachment to the quarry machine that can do that.

On top of that, I could see the Martian Invasion granting access to a special anti-gravity drill bit that allows your quarry to mine horizontally or diagonally by hammering the drill part itself to change direction, or placing the drill on part of the frame or a special part of the frame to make it dig like that. We also don't have a TRUE way to dig PURELY diagonally without having to go back and hammer/alter blocks to fix your tunnel and make it straight; the Drill Containment Unit can do this but unless you MASTER the controls, you're always going to mess up the diagonal shaft.

Sometimes digging can be tedious, or an event is going on and you wanna do that AND dig; you could choose to do it manually or not, and it's not like your quarry could mine further than how you set it, just will keep going in it's set direction till it hits the bottom/edge of the world or something it can't mine. Maybe perhaps it can't mine hell blocks like ash and hellstone till the Molten bit? Lots of potential with this idea, and encourages the adventuring aspect or leaves you time to do things like fishing while your quarry is digging a hellavator. Thoughts?
Someone who is fascinated by big construction :passionate::naughty:

I'd love to have visible wires that draw similar to the fishing line. They don't even need to be powered, it'd be a nice aesthetic to have!

Use would be pretty simple, lay down a maker for point A (left click), then B(right click).

I'd imagine an easy implementation would only allow for two way wiring. Maybe a special furniture-layered item could be laid out to support central hubs that have many wires.

A boss statues this one is going to be crafted in a demon altar with 50 of stone and a boss summon object when you activate one of these , the statue broke and summong the boss :D

.rainbow wrench (allows to change color of the wrench) mabey u have to get all colors of the wrench huh huh we'll I bet a bunch of people have said this already hmm...well ok how about this.

Kinda redundant unless you wanna get the new wrenches by how far you are in the game

I'm sure it's been said a million times already, but my suggestion would be a new item that, when triggered, moves any wired tiles in a direction, as long as there's no non-wired blocks (or NPCs/players/enemies) that would stop them from moving. Ideally there would be a variant that would do the same to walls, as well, and one that does it to both walls and tiles simultaneously. I'm sure it would take some doing, but it would be great to be able to reposition, say, a house, without having to tear it down and rebuild it anew. It would have a multitude of other uses as well, of course, such as moving platforms and such for adventure maps, or elevators.

Last edited:
only two things i request!!!
1) a wire object that you place on chests (much like the actuator) and wire to a turret (cannon, snowball launcher, etc.) and somr form of switch (1 second timers, levers, push pads, etc.) and when you hit the switch, if the chest contains any ammo, the turret will fire. like a item hopper of sorts!
2) due to my immense love of slimes i would love to see this idea put in. a form of turret that uses gel for ammo! works like the cannon but fires a slime ball that slows enemies and does low damage with aoe abilities (this could be dropped from any slime that shoots like spiked jungle or spiked ice and maybe a chance from pinky? or maybe run it like the slime staff and all slimes can drop it? but better chance then slime staff)
Well thank you for reading my ideas devs and others and have a nice day :)

Any way to make blocks and walls invisible. I already suggested Invisible Paint, but that's not related to wiring.
just remove them
[DOUBLEPOST=1439695207,1439695123][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm sure it's been said a million times already, but my suggestion would be a new item that, when triggered, moves any wired tiles in a direction, as long as there's no non-wired blocks (or NPCs/players/enemies) that would stop them from moving. Ideally there would be a variant that would do the same to walls, as well, and one that does it to both walls and tiles simultaneously. I'm sure it would take some doing, but it would be great to be able to reposition, say, a house, without having to tear it down and rebuild it anew. It would have a multitude of other uses as well, of course, such as moving platforms and such for adventure maps, or elevators.

just make the house in the right place the first time

just make the house in the right place the first time
I try, but one of my great failings in life is, sadly, that I'm not perfect. Sometimes I screw up a build, sometimes I think of a neat way to expand something only after I've put something in the wrong place, sometimes I'd like to compare how something looks in one location as opposed to another before I make my final decision as to where to build it. The current solution - tear it down and rebuild it - is adequate, but I can't help feel like there could be a better one, and I can't imagine I'm the only one. And as this is a thread specifically for posting things you would like to see in the game related to wiring and mechanics, I felt this was a reasonable place to put my thoughts.

And of course, moving tiles have other uses too, such as elevators or adventure maps.

Last edited:
Ok, here goes:

Logic gates - AND, OR, NAND, XOR etc.
Wiring objects that only allow a signal from one direction, much like the way repeaters work in Minecraft
Detectors - time detector, weather detector, npc detector (detects a specified amount of npcs in a specified range), player detector (works like the npc detector)
Projectile activated switches
Wireless controllers (come in different colours) and wireless receivers that will send a signal when the wireless controller of the corresponding colour is used
Special chests that can be locked/unlocked by activating them with wire
Blocks that bounce the player upward when activated
Blocks that generate a strong gravitational field that pulls players towards them when activated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom