Official Get Wired For Terraria 1.3.1: Calling All Terrarian Mechanics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like it if the blue and green wires were offset so that they would still be visible when placed on top of each other. (IE. if blue was nudged up to the left and green nudged down to the right.)

You mean something like Kai's Tidy Wires?

They work alright, but I can only imagine displaying the different wire colours in this fashion only getting increasingly difficult the more wire colours are added to the game.

How about some environment dependent activation sources?

A windmill was mentioned. What about something like a lightning rod for when it rains? Or a tidal reactor in the sea? Or a fusion reactor near meteorite? Or a solar reactor in space?

I agree with the sentiment that's been expressed by some that the big limiting factor with mechanical items right now is not so much their usability/functionality, but their relative lack of activatable devices with interesting or useful functions. I would like to see the following, most of which has already been suggested in the thread:

More, and Better-Explained Statues

Another poster (sorry, I didn't note the username) went over this in pretty good detail, but I'll reiterate some of the salient points. Right now statues, especially Heart and Mana Star statues have some of the most straightforward and useful functions, but they still could be enhanced to encourage people to use them, which in turn should act as a gateway to more complex and interesting builds:
  • Most or all statues should have some sort of wired function.
  • If a statue does have a wired function, it should be hinted at or stated outright in the item description.
  • Most statues should be craftable, including Heart and Mana Potion statues.
Passive Biome Preservers / Spreaders
I understand that fighting the Corruption/Crimson is one of the game's somewhat nebulously defined goals and having a passive way of preventing its spread could undermine that aspect, but I think as long as more active means of cultivating/spreading biomes are faster and/or more economical, having an item that spreads a particular biome, or preserves the current state of a biome within a limited range (say, one or two screen spaces, perhaps based on world size) it would be fine.

To prevent these items from being too overpowering, perhaps they would have to be wired to an immovable Source item. So for example, to create a Crimson Spreader, you'd have to place the item in the space you want covered, then wire it up to a Pulsating Heart. Analogous Sources would be added for the Purity and Hallow, and like Pulsating Hearts and Shadow Orbs, they could be destroyed for loot (which means preserving the items for use in Biome Spreaders presents a certain opportunity cost) and perhaps spawn some new minibosses or events. Dialogue should be added to the Guide hinting at the existence of Sources and that there might be some benefit to preserving them.
Powering Up and Power Sources

Some posters in this thread have mentioned generators and power sources as a means of adding a balancing mechanism which could allow more potent and useful effects, and I like that idea myself to open up more interesting possibilities without breaking the game. My suggestion for Passive Biome Spreaders above is a variation on this notion, where the "cost" comes in having to do a potentially onerous wiring once (as well as giving up access to an up-front loot reward) but having placeable generators which must be stocked with fuel (which can be anything thematically appropriate and of the proper level of rarity/value) is another fine way to go.
Earlier Access to the Mechanic

I'd have her spawn in the cavern layer (or maybe underground Crimson/Corruption) after the Brain/Eater is defeated.
Sound Effect Boxes

These could go a long way towards adding some atmosphere and overall coolness to builds. Potential sound effects could include:
  • Wooden ratcheting noise.
  • Metallic cranking noise.
  • Stone grinding noise.
  • Large stone object settling into place (i.e., a large stone gate or trapdoor opening/closing.)
  • Metallic creak.
  • Wooden creak.
  • Metallic clank.
  • Explosion.
  • Radio static, with and without Morse code bleeps
  • Various monster grunts and attack sfx
Invisibility Paint / Device

Having a way to hide certain devices from sight would allow more aesthetic flexibility and would add an additional dynamic for PvP (hidden pressure plates, etc. though there would have to be an equippable item or potion that acts as a countermeasure) and adventure maps.

I'd like to be able to hide a monster statue to make it look like the enemies are spawning out of a glass tube or charnel pit, or make it look like a (statueless) fountain or waterfall is generating hearts and mana stars.
Cosmetic and/or Functional Changes to Furniture when Active

Steam rising from bathtubs, pendulums swinging for clocks, fairy dust twinkling around pearlwood furniture, blood dripping from shadewood, and so on.
I hope these ideas and feedback are helpful.
Edit: Oh, and maybe the most important function for wiring has already been mentioned in this thread, which is more Traps and things like Sentry Turrets, as well as the ability to change the angling/direction of those items. Again, this is probably an area where having a Power Source as mentioned above might be useful as a balancing mechanism, especially if you want to prevent people from carrying around and laying down powerful weapon emplacements where ever they go (though I don't necessarily see a problem with that myself).

Last edited:
One thing that I have never understood is why we aren't able to pick up chests with items in them.

Everytime I want to reorganize my supplies by moving a chest from one spot in a shelf of chests from one place to another, you always have to have an empty inventory or extra chest to juggle the chest contents around. :mad: So incredibly annoying. Why is this? I mean, it would be penalty enough, that you can't use any weapons while holding a chest. You could even be able to throw the chest at enemies for knockback and damage, with the danger that after throwing the chest a number of times, the chest would break, strewing the contents of the chest all over the place, deep into a cavern or into lava. Imagine all the multiplayer empty chest wars!

Chests could also be wireable, as mentioned by others in this thread, so that when activated, all chests on a common wire will shift their items toward the chest furthest from the activation source, providing for a method of automated chest cleanup. At the same time, chests, when opened could be used, as mentioned by someone else in this thread, as an activation source itself to trigger traps. Perhaps you could also make picking up (but not removing by pickaxe) a chest from on a wire a one time activation aswell.

Last edited:
As someone has already mentioned (I don't remember the name) and ZeroGravitas has built upon, I think that some kind of actuator-like object should be implemented that can be placed on plants (and possibly other blocks) so they can send a signal when certain things happen, i.e. plants blooming. This would answer everyone's requests for daytime/nighttime/blood moon/rain detectors while keeping the not immediately obvious function and 'novelty' that some of the wring devices we currently have, like using dummy ghosts as hoik actors, creature-based timers, etc. A simple system to make automatic lights that turn on at night would require only a daybloom and moonglow, instead of some expensive late game block. Blood moon detectors could be built using a deathweed and could be automatically turned off with a daybloom and a few of the logic gates likely to be implemented: a T flip flop and and an AND gate. The deathweed would trigger defenses and the t-flip flop on bloom, and the daybloom would be wired into an AND gate (with the t flip flop as the other condition) to reset the t flip flop and disable the defenses once day arrives.

Invisibility Paint / Device

Having a way to hide certain devices from sight would allow more aesthetic flexibility and would add an additional dynamic for PvP (hidden pressure plates, etc. though there would have to be an equippable item or potion that acts as a countermeasure) and adventure maps.

I'd like to be able to hide a monster statue to make it look like the enemies are spawning out of a glass tube or charnel pit, or make it look like a (statueless) fountain or waterfall is generating hearts and mana stars.
Cosmetic and/or Functional Changes to Furniture when Active

Steam rising from bathtubs, pendulums swinging for clocks, fairy dust twinkling around pearlwood furniture, blood dripping from shadewood, and so on.

These two are great suggestions! It could really make the game more aesthetically pleasing and seems like it would be feasible.

As someone has already mentioned (I don't remember the name) and ZeroGravitas has built upon, I think that some kind of actuator-like object should be implemented that can be placed on plants (and possibly other blocks) so they can send a signal when certain things happen, i.e. plants blooming. This would answer everyone's requests for daytime/nighttime/blood moon/rain detectors while keeping the not immediately obvious function and 'novelty' that some of the wring devices we currently have, like using dummy ghosts as hoik actors, creature-based timers, etc. A simple system to make automatic lights that turn on at night would require only a daybloom and moonglow, instead of some expensive late game block. Blood moon detectors could be built using a deathweed and could be automatically turned off with a daybloom and a few of the logic gates likely to be implemented: a T flip flop and and an AND gate. The deathweed would trigger defenses and the t-flip flop on bloom, and the daybloom would be wired into an AND gate (with the t flip flop as the other condition) to reset the t flip flop and disable the defenses once day arrives.
Also, if hoppers were added they could work with a combination of these blocks and actuators for automatic farming of plants.

Here are some of the ideas that popped into my mind when I saw this thread (some of them have already been mentioned, I noticed. Don't know about the others as I didn't have the strength to plough through over a whopping 30 pages worth of text!)

Novel switch types:
  • water wheel: counts as active when placed in the flow of any liquid and inactive when there is no flow
  • laser tripwire: the concept of the existing pressure plates applied to the fluorescent beam
Novel wire types:
  • pipes: transports only liquids, does not transport any active/inactive signals from switches and the like
Robots:

These would be units with highly specific tasks, like harvesting crops or fighting enemies. They'd have their own limited inventory slots, where they would store harvested herbs/seeds or the ammo they fire.

They would move along a certain track, like with the minecart, with special direction changing pressure tracks on them (actived only when the robot steps on it).

Who is going to be the nice guy/gal/gender neutral person who goes thru and compiles every idea for the devs in one post?

Sadly, as a person from gaming industry tangent, I know that most of the big/overhaul ideas are simply unfeasible, even if "it would be super cool to have". DWIW mod-tools would be great, but are sadly, never (as in "pre-technological singularity predictable future") going to happen. Therefore, I will only gather the ideas that I can actually see implemented, given the small knowledge of programming, testing, player-abuse techniques, game developing, etc.

Please, keep in mind that super-massive overhauls are basically impossible (nobody wants to rewrite and debug a whole wire system so that wire keeps the on/off states like Minecraft/real world - the decision to have the wire system work via pulses was made, I'd daresay, deliberately, and a long, long time ago; the change itself would be unfeasible if not outright impossible to implement and keep everything we know about wiring in Terraria working; TL;DR not going to happen).

TL;DR:
I'm slowly combing through the topic (page 17 as I type this) and gathering ideas. Ideas, as in non-impossible-to-implement-ever, feasible-looking, non-duplicating-already-existing-solutions, ideas and looks-like-more-than-100-people-would-actually-use-it ideas (e.g. bigger doors since we have high mounts now, etc.).

Watch out for a super-post full of spoiler tags in a day or two. If someone else is crawling as well, please drop me a message so perhaps we could co-ordinate.

A 'Remote control' item that allows players to activate traps and maybe even other mechanismsand switches by clicking on them. Perhaps it should have a high range.

Seems this is my first post since the Official forums were created. I've mentioned a few of these on the Terraria online forums so a few of these may sound familiar.

Statue Expansion:
New Mob Spawning Statues for a few enemies.

Penguin Statue - Just like the bunny and goldfish statues the penguin statue would spawn penguins or under the blood moon the corrupt/vicious penguin variants. Like the bird, bunny and goldfish statues the main if not only function is for banners. (Or target practice for some people.)

Antlion Statue - Following the 1.3 update and the inclusion of the new Antlion enemies this is less relevant than when I first suggested it. However, Antlion mandibles and the associated banner are still sought items. The major drawback to this is the ability to farm sand from the summoned Antlions. Though, given the statue spawn cap and the slow speed of sand creation I feel this is a smaller concern. (Besides, is lots of sand really game breaking?) Again, post 1.3 this statue is more of a novelty than a necessity.

Hornet Statue - The primary purpose for this statue is stingers. As most players would agree these are very common in normal mode as a result, this is mainly for hardmode. Specifically because, for whatever reason, moss hornets do not drop stingers and they greatly outnumber hornets once hardmode starts. The value of stingers being, use in the Abeemonation, Thorns potion and Flask of Poison. The major complaint this suggestion got when I first suggested it was ease in obtaining jungle gear for new players. So I will make my case for why it isn't an issue. First, to even have a chance to farm hornets a player must locate a hornet statue which I would wager takes longer than simply killing the plentiful normal mode bees unless the player is very lucky. With the luck needed to find just one, a farm of multiple is highly unlikely. Second, to build a farm a player needs wire, and a wrench both of which require a mechanic, which spawns after entering the dungeon. At this point the player likely has jungle or superior gear anyway, and definitely has access to superior gear. Finally, the jungle gear requires either vine or jungle spores or both, items which would force the player to enter the jungle at which point they could farm stingers anyway. In short, I truly believe the best use of these statues is for getting stingers after activating hardmode. The best part of this statue is it already exists.

Demon Eye Statue - Like with the Hornet this statue is mostly for hardmode. At least that was the original intent. However, with the 1.3 update wandering eyes now drop both lens and the Demon Eye banner. Making this statue less needed and more of a novelty. (Eh, it was in my original post so I thought I'd at least mention it.)

Spider Statue - Now I want to make it clear that this statue is for the wall creeper and not the black recluse. The function of this statue is access to the spider banner after reaching hardmode. This is due to the wall creeper being completely replaced by black recluse once hardmode is reached. But, since the last time I suggested it I came up with another use. Spiders outside the spider walls, specifically for player made dungeon structures. Think of how fun it would be to build a trapped room that drops spiders on people. I strongly suggest the statue remains wall creepers not only for the banner in hardmode, but also so that new players don't encounter super strong enemies in normal mode.

To sum up, the statues suggested serve the primary purpose of banner collection and the ability to get materials that become scarce (or vanish) in Hardmode.

Mechanical Triggers:
New ways to start devices.

Solar Switches - Quite simple On in the day, Off at night. There are two ways to do this. First, require direct light from the sky. Meaning they would need to be on the surface. Second, just have the switch occur when the game changes to night or day.

Pressure Switches - Another simple concept, (though I don't know how simple to add) On when stepped on, Off if nothing is on it. This is different from the Step once for On, twice for Off that is already in the game. Makes it possible to create actuated traps without the need to reset after use, or complicated wiring. (Certainly, if there is an easy way to do this already I am curious to hear how.) It could come in player, and enemy variants but, it might be cool to have any weight do it, such as blocks (or boulders) for breakfast machine type devices. The one question this raises is how fast the pulse is sent (IE 1-sec Timer) while continuously pressed. To deal with that I figure variants could exist (1 sec, 3 sec, 5 sec, other) with increasing requirements to make/buy.

Proximity Switches - Much like the Dryad's shield, when a player or enemy enters the switch radius the device will activate. The purpose of this is the ability to hide switches more effectively than with pressure plates. (Which fool enemies and sometimes work in the right places but otherwise are very easy to see.) It would sense players even behind walls, making player traps very hard to detect. (For the record, I am opposed to including these switches in world generation near explosives...)

Traps:
To conclude this post some ideas for traps in general.

Building Traps - Like it sounds, crafting of current traps. For example poison darts + stone for Dart Traps. For the temple traps it would require Lihzahrd block and could use the Lihzahrd Furnace. The ingredients and quantity are up for debate but personally I would gladly spend a full flamethrower to get Flame Traps rather than go from world to world cleaning out temples and getting 1-2 at a time. Spike Ball traps I figure would use the spike balls from the goblin invasion. Spear traps would probably just use iron/lead since there are few economically craftable spears.

Dungeon Spike Ball Traps - Roughly at the same level as a standard dart trap, these would damage like goblin spike balls and function as an early game equivalent for the temple Spiky Ball Traps. Unlike spears and flamethrowers, spike balls can justify an early game version due to the existence of the goblin spike balls. These would exist naturally in the dungeon but, could be crafted with stone and spike balls.

Anvil Traps - Who wouldn't want to drop an anvil Looney Tunes style on another player. The trap version of the anvil would require more iron/lead than the standard one. In exchange it can be placed, or can be dropped mid-air. The anvil then falls like sand until it hits a solid block. To make this work effectively it would need to be 1x1 so that it can always land. (Unlike tombstones that require 2x2 or they become unobtainable.) Unlike sand and friends, the anvil does not cause suffocation but instead causes heavy damage. (More than a boulder, but in exchange it can't roll.) Of course, these can also be set in places like boulders are for pressure traps. (Or even a breakfast machine...)

Toxic Trap - In short, a trap that causes large weak explosions. (Non-damaging to blocks) Similar to the toxic flask (and likely crafted from it) the Toxic Trap simply fires a toxic cloud to the left or right of where it is placed that explodes on impact. (Block, player or enemy) the explosion causes weak damage and has a chance to poison. Do note, that when I say weak I mean compared to explosives. It would still be stronger than all but temple traps. May be fun to have both a dropping and firing variant to allow attacks from the side and from above. This traps would be crafted only, never spawning in the world.

Hopefully, these are worthy suggestions. Feedback both positive and negative always welcome. (As long as it is polite) I do apologize for the massive wall of text, I figured it was better than several posts back to back. (Took ~2 hours to write) Enjoy.

Command and command block (like tshock server) spawn, time, gore, buff, give, creative mode, score ...

Repeter
Custom clock time
Auto chest (items offered in this case are automatically transported to the one that you)
All statues spawn the object depicted

Last edited:
Wiring is one of the best features in Terraria, from traps to some hoik computers. I'm glad that you have an update mainly about wiring stuffs, so I would like to give some suggestions.
(Due to my laziness of watching 30+ pages of comments, I apologize if my suggestions are the same as others, just think that I'm supporting them)

1. Multi-signal switch and multi-signal block
In Terraria, the switch has only 0(off) and 1(on), but there is a good thing to introduce to you all. The multi-signal switch source by another pixel game, Habbo. That game has a switch with 0, 1, and even 2 and 3. This helps controlling different outputs only with a single switch. In example, 0 is off, 1 is red wire, 2 is green wire, 3 is blue wire, etc. Although it has a disadvantage of only one signal can be transmitted, but it gives spare spaces. Think if there is a wall with hundreds of switch, this may seem uncomfortable.
Besides that, I think about a multi-signal block which is the same purpose, but it is perfectly useful with a timer. Imagine Christmas is coming and you want blinking lights of different colours. A timer with a multi-signal block suits perfectly. Red lights are on, then another few seconds, yellow lights are on, and so on, making it beautiful and pleasing.

2. Wireless connections (with further ideas)
Many Terrarians suggests wireless connections, because it saves a lot of wires and time for connecting between items (as for lazy people like me), but they have no further explain about that. I suggest a programming/coding system like the software Scratch. This is because many kids plays Terraria also. Telling them to learn a coding language (I learn HTML5 and CCS3) will make them give up wiring easily. If you have been used Scratch, you know that coding method is as easy as connecting two Lego blocks together. One thing that I should mention is that they have to craft/buy a coding machine (which is much harder or expensive than wires and wrenches) in order to have this wireless service, and to make both wiring and coding methods a fair battle.

3. Electronics
Many Terrarians are professional builders. Maybe giving them more blocks, such as electronics with wiring, is a good choice. Also, it gives more features to the game. Here are some of my ideas:

a. Television - An animating screen! Attracting!
b. Fridge - Putting food (fish) into fridge. What a new storage method!
c. Computer - Playing games or even allows players to code (if the coding machine I mentioned is the computer)
d. Oven - Baking food! Not only sashimi anymore!

and etc.

Finally, I hope my suggestions can give developers motivation to work on 1.3.1 update. I'm waiting for that to release.

One thing I'd like to see would be banners from the crimson blood moon mobs such as goldfish, penguins, and bunnies. I was kind of disappointed by that when I tried to get the banners.
I'd also like to see some kind of new statue variants, like a zombie statue. I like the idea of an antlion statue, but its kinda cheap and overpowered. Seriously, the sandgun was made 100 times easier to get in 1.3, Now I actually trash some antlion mandibles.
I also think that there should be some functioning lihzahrd temple statues to add a bit more danger to the temple.
Some kind of piston would be cool, but I don't see much use for them.

Wire Chest Reader (2x2)
This item when placed asks for an item to detect, provided it's placed on An object that can hold an inventory.
When it detects an item, it will emit a signal on the top left side of the inventory.
When it detects the specified item, it will emit a signal on the top right of the inventory
When it detects the correct number of the specified item, emit a signal on the bottom left of the inventory.
When all three of the above conditions are true, emit a signal on the bottom right of the inventory/

Wire IO Gate
2x1 or 1x2
When triggered and the signal is attached to another IO gate, depending on whether the gate is in input or output mode, it will draw an item from one chest, and place it in another chest.

[LOGIC GATES PLZ]

Trap Chest

[for map creators- would require commands to obtain the following items.]

Player Identity Gate
Holds the player's player information- to be used with the gates below.

Player Inventory Gate / Player Inventory chest
This functions as the Wire Chest Reader- but for all players inventory. Items in the player inventory can be drawn via Wire IO Gates.

Player Piggy Gate
Same as above but for player piggies.

Player Safe Gate
Same for Safes as for players and piggy.

A presence sensor
-A combination of invisible pressure plates and a "laser beam".
*It acts like a wire and if you pass/stay in front of the wire then it activates the wired system.

Blockers
-Teleporters for blocks.
*Teleporting certain blocks from point A to point B without it turning to a background/wall/inactive block.

Glue gun
-Acts like a wrench
*Reattaches broken/missing patch of wires to the nearest wire.
( ---X-----) Before (-------) After

Detectors
-A background version of pressure plates.

Heat sensors
-If water/lava is in x area, it activates the wires connected to the area.

Great ideas from many terrarians. A mechanic vanity set would be cool indeed. Hope this update goes deep into logic gates, automation and please add surprise, those are always fun :D

Some form of implementation of wire spools, please. Pretty sure others have already mentioned such, and already have made threads to express the finer details, so I won't bother. General idea is to be able to use them in one spot, go wherever you want, then use again, and wiring (of the appropriate color) shall be placed on the clicked tiles, and all tiles in-between. Needs to only work in a straight line to avoid unreasonable coding times. I recommend making a mechanical ruler-ish highlight appearance when mousing over appropriate tiles when placing the 2nd half of the wire spool. This will make it so that you don't have to know exactly where you need to place the 2nd half of the spool ahead of time; makes it more user friendly.

I want to be able to use teleporters without having to go through ~30 minute wiring hassle each time. T_T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom