Official Get Wired For Terraria 1.3.1: Calling All Terrarian Mechanics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The logic gates coming in 1.3.1 will only save a small bit of space, since the current gates (AND, OR, etc.) are pretty small. Also, since the basic gates need to be strung together instead of using giant logic gates, you might not even end up saving that much space altogether. In fact, the 4th wire color will do wonders for compression alone.
I'm preparing myself for creating some big wiring structures (already checked out Advanced Hoiktronics :) ), but the main problem with current creation is the size and resources you would need. Sure, you'll get just a tad smaller logic gates, etc. but then again you WILL require less resources. I presume only wires, logic gate blocks, torches (to see states) and switches. Now you also need some NPCs to transport across, teleporters and sloped blocks.

I'm preparing myself for creating some big wiring structures (already checked out Advanced Hoiktronics :) ), but the main problem with current creation is the size and resources you would need. Sure, you'll get just a tad smaller logic gates, etc. but then again you WILL require less resources. I presume only wires, logic gate blocks, torches (to see states) and switches. Now you also need some NPCs to transport across, teleporters and sloped blocks.

I don't think size and resources are the "main" problem (teleporters and dummies are really easy to obtain), and you cannot build much with just logic gate blocks alone so to claim that you "WILL require less resources" is not accurate. The only real issue is operation time with current builds, but even if the hoiktronics gates were replaced with the new logic gate blocks the time savings would be fairly minimal. Of course we'll have to see what else comes with the 1.3.1 update to improve operation times.

I don't think size and resources are the "main" problem (teleporters and dummies are really easy to obtain), and you cannot build much with just logic gate blocks alone so to claim that you "WILL require less resources" is not accurate. The only real issue is operation time with current builds, but even if the hoiktronics gates were replaced with the new logic gate blocks the time savings would be fairly minimal. Of course we'll have to see what else comes with the 1.3.1 update to improve operation times.

I agree that wiring everything would be the same (i mean similar amount of different wires) but building "boxes" full of teleporters with appropriate sloped blocks (needing to change to a hammer to make them appropriate) and actuators in comparison to just putting down three blocks and wiring them up. It would be a bit shorter yeah, but still when you get 3-10 seconds less on each "logic gate" and you need to put like 50 of them, it gets a lot of time saved.

Not gonna wander down the road of the 1.3.1 logic block price (or cost of materials for crafting), cause we don't know anything about it. Teleporters you buy for 2G 50S and wouldn't call it cheap. if you're aiming at 100 teleporters, that's a lot of money, unless you're far far into the game where you get tons of gold or have built farms for it. Dummies easier to obtain, cause 50 hay and 20 wood, having both easy to get, but i tried recently with them and encountered a bug when the dummy sprite isn't moved - i can only attack it on the place it should be, but pick it up at the place the dummy started (i'll later submit a bug report, need to check it out more). Otherwise, using NPCs is another workaround to prepare mechanism for them to stay on the teleport or port them there.

I agree that wiring everything would be the same (i mean similar amount of different wires) but building "boxes" full of teleporters with appropriate sloped blocks (needing to change to a hammer to make them appropriate) and actuators in comparison to just putting down three blocks and wiring them up. It would be a bit shorter yeah, but still when you get 3-10 seconds less on each "logic gate" and you need to put like 50 of them, it gets a lot of time saved.

Building is trivial and fast compared to the time needed to conceive of the builds in the first place. Plus, you need to factor into consideration how much simpler it is to generate a giant hoiktronics logic gate compared to the greater challenge of combining basic logic gates to replicate the same effect, so if time is such a concern, prepare to spend more of it if you plan on using basic logic gates.

Of course the new logic gates will be better since they will improve operation times, but that is only relevant to very large and complex builds.

f you're aiming at 100 teleporters, that's a lot of money, unless you're far far into the game where you get tons of gold or have built farms for it.

In other words, not an issue. You can also amass the money needed pretty easily in early hardmode if you absolutely must build some huge contraption without waiting until the end of hardmode (which is already pretty unlikely).

Building is trivial and fast compared to the time needed to conceive of the builds in the first place. Plus, you need to factor into consideration how much simpler it is to generate a giant hoiktronics logic gate compared to the greater challenge of combining basic logic gates to replicate the same effect, so if time is such a concern, prepare to spend more of it if you plan on using basic logic gates.

Of course the new logic gates will be better since they will improve operation times, but that is only relevant to very large and complex builds.

In other words, not an issue. You can also amass the money needed pretty easily in early hardmode if you absolutely must build some huge contraption without waiting until the end of hardmode (which is already pretty unlikely).
All points great, can't argue with that :) I'm still in the process of going deeper into hoiktronics and me having easy understanding of math logic or using it lets me do more and faster, but still lacking time to put everything into it properly.

In that case, I apologize.
I was in England 7 years. The most of my life! Im 13..
[DOUBLEPOST=1441287363,1441286893][/DOUBLEPOST]I know it is a wiring update but i have 2 new cool ideas.
1. New npc The Tatooist /he changes the skin colour\ cost 5 gold

2.New slot in the clother npc /style change\ it changes the style of clothes style of player. Cost 2 gold
[DOUBLEPOST=1441287518][/DOUBLEPOST]And a new timer /0,5 second timer\
Crafted with 2 gold or platinium clocks.

All points great, can't argue with that :) I'm still in the process of going deeper into hoiktronics and me having easy understanding of math logic or using it lets me do more and faster, but still lacking time to put everything into it properly.

I will be putting out a video later today explaining giant logic gates - should make it much easier to build them as a result. You should also consider posting the issue you had with the dummy ghost in the T-MEC forums (we opened a thread for such questions). Maybe we can resolve the issue, since we actually very recently discussed and in some respects resolved a number of dummy ghost issues (some related to TEdit building).

It'll be interesting to see what other tools we get in 1.3.1. Logic gates by themselves won't be sufficient to move away from hoiktronics, since we still need ways of activating various inputs and also need to have ways of delaying operations so that we can generate a sequence of events instead of events occuring simultaneously. Also, since one of the functions of hoiktronics is to have inputs controlling signal pathways and the ability for the signaling agents to activate multiple outputs (simultaneously or with delays), it would be useful to have such a "splitter" in 1.3.1. The splitter could consist of a block that in an ON state would activate one wire attached to it, and in the OFF state send a signal down a different wire attached to it. Another potentially useful addition would be a piston that is capable of activating pressure plates (or turning on switches or levers), since this is the other vital part of hoiktronics.

Maybe a 10,000 block radius?

10,000 would still be good on a small world, but on a large world, it might take hours upon hours of farming to get it done, so I would imagine a scaling for the machine being 10,000 feet for a small world, 100,000 feet for a medium world, and 500,000 to 1,000,000 feet for a large world.
[DOUBLEPOST=1441302544,1441302338][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, this isn't relevant to this forum or anything, but is it rare to have 6 solar eclipses in a row, and before each one starts get a golden animal just walk into your house?

10,000 would still be good on a small world, but on a large world, it might take hours upon hours of farming to get it done, so I would imagine a scaling for the machine being 10,000 feet for a small world, 100,000 feet for a medium world, and 500,000 to 1,000,000 feet for a large world.
[DOUBLEPOST=1441302544,1441302338][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, this isn't relevant to this forum or anything, but is it rare to have 6 solar eclipses in a row, and before each one starts get a golden animal just walk into your house?

And it should be able to be upgraded

Well, If you're talking about the large radius model, makes sense you can upgrade, but if you want the disposable model, then upgrades would just be silly. Then again, with a 500,000 feet radius, pretty sure I would wanna upgrade that.
[DOUBLEPOST=1441303542,1441303434][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, this isn't relevant to this forum or anything, but is it rare to have 6 solar eclipses in a row, and before each one starts get a golden animal just walk into your house? Like, it just happened to me about an hour ago and I feel really lucky. Maybe enough luck to beat the Moon Lord with a Copper Short Sword and Wooden Armor?

It'll be interesting to see what other tools we get in 1.3.1. Logic gates by themselves won't be sufficient to move away from hoiktronics, since we still need ways of activating various inputs and also need to have ways of delaying operations so that we can generate a sequence of events instead of events occuring simultaneously. Also, since one of the functions of hoiktronics is to have inputs controlling signal pathways and the ability for the signaling agents to activate multiple outputs (simultaneously or with delays), it would be useful to have such a "splitter" in 1.3.1. The splitter could consist of a block that in an ON state would activate one wire attached to it, and in the OFF state send a signal down a different wire attached to it. Another potentially useful addition would be a piston that is capable of activating pressure plates (or turning on switches or levers), since this is the other vital part of hoiktronics.

All of that is possible with logic gates and timers. Logic gates let you make counters, which can delay an action a fixed amount of time. A NAND gate lets you have a signal sent down a wire if it is "off" (just have it branch to the NAND and a normal one for being on and you're down).

Why exactly do you need something to activate pressure plates?

All of that is possible with logic gates and timers. Logic gates let you make counters, which can delay an action a fixed amount of time. A NAND gate lets you have a signal sent down a wire if it is "off" (just have it branch to the NAND and a normal one for being on and you're down).

Why exactly do you need something to activate pressure plates?

Using timers is a very bad idea and it'll slow down many contraptions significantly. Why wait a second when you can use a hoiktronics system that can do the same thing in 1/60th of a second?

Using timers is a very bad idea and it'll slow down many contraptions significantly. Why wait a second when you can use a hoiktronics system that can do the same thing in 1/60th of a second?

You could always make a crab or bird timer. But I agree it would be nice to see faster timers. I don't think 1/60th of a second is necessary for almost anything in the game though. Anything you can do with hoiktronics will be something you can do with logic gates in a lot less space and a lot easier.

It would be nice to have a latch/flip-flop to save a little time as far as counters go. Or even something a bit more complicated.

Edit: You are also over-stating the speed of hoiktronics. Calculations are not done in 1/60 of a second, just each jump on a hoik is. There's a difference.

You could always make a crab or bird timer.

But why do that when hoiktronics timers are so much faster?

But I agree it would be nice to see faster timers. I don't think 1/60th of a second is necessary for almost anything in the game though.

It actually makes a huge difference once you start making more elaborate builds, so I'd contest that it isn't "necessary".

Anything you can do with hoiktronics will be something you can do with logic gates in a lot less space and a lot easier.

A lot easier? No, just the opposite in fact, unless you plan to just copy existing set-ups from around the net. And the pending logic gates won't take up that much less space either - the current logic gates are pretty compact as it is.

It would be nice to have a latch/flip-flop to save a little time as far as counters go. Or even something a bit more complicated.

We have those already ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom