Official Get Wired For Terraria 1.3.1: Calling All Terrarian Mechanics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
something kinda like a teleporter, but not solid and can be placed as a non solid block. I thought of a magical doorway from a suggestion that kinda work like these doors:

latest
(if anyone has played the kirby games you'll know what I'm talking about).

I also thought of a mechanism that works in a certain biome or when a certain fountain color is triggered that gives off a signal when conditions are met.

I have an idea that relates back to my previous idea with gemspark wires - but it is that which allows gemspark wires by replacing the red, blue, green, and yellow wires with the gemspark versions of themselves. The player could craft a ¨Machine¨ which would turn all wire into gemspark wire. =>Bit[7] (I believe this is yellow wire) is still bit[7] but has been reassigned to have different properties if the ¨Machine¨ is in the world. =>All of the places wire has illumination.
To craft this ¨Machine¨ you need:
  • 50 topaz gemspark block
  • 50 emerald gemspark block
  • 50 ruby gemspark block
  • 50 sapphire gemspark block
  • 200 wire
  • 10 glass
  • 8 torches
  • 10 bars (any hard mode ore)
Although this might be too much, I would certainly make it. Reply if you think this requires too many materials, or other things you want to add.
Also, an idea that I have (other might have had this) was an item dropped by the Lunatic Cultist (because after you defeat him once he becomes useless) that increases the player range (to place items and maybe remove them) by 5-10+. This item can be combined with other equips to increase the range further.

Of course, an item that can be used to change gravity on 8 directions!
8 is too many, but four is a good idea. And anything (but the liquids) is affected. It can maybe created with five gravity globes?
I'm not following what you mean here. How is this "hard switch" that works like pressure plates but on the side of a block, not the same as allowing pressure plates to be placed on the side of blocks? Sure, a little extra coding would be needed so that it would be activated by touching it from the side when placed on the side of a block, but it's the same coding the hard switch would need, right?
Is was speaking of logic... a pressure plate is activated by walking on it... How can we walk on the walls?

Is was speaking of logic... a pressure plate is activated by walking on it... How can we walk on the walls?

This is not remotely a problem. Pressure plates would have 2 bits of code. One for very close proximity activation, another for walking activation. One bit of code is used if they are placed on a wall or ceiling, another bit of code is used if they are placed on the ground. Potentially one bit of code could be made that would duplicate current behavior close enough and apply to all placements.

Point is, you are acting like this is a problem when it isn't. There's no need for yet another item when we already have one that will work. It will need basically the same amount of work that making the new item would to give it additional functionality. Seems cleaner that way since we don't need a ton of new items if existing items that just have their functionality increased.

I'd like to see the mechanisms given multiple uses and either have an option menu come up if you right-click on them or a screwdriver added which when used on a mechanism would open up such a menu. A lot of ideas that are posted would work perfectly well as additional functions of existing items. And some things it would be nice to set a direction for spawned items/minions/traps or setup on/off settings (since it looks like logic gates will enable wires to be on/off from what I've seen).

So at a basic level a screwdriver might let you set:
Direction: For traps/spawns, including diagnals.
Activation/On/Off Settings: So an actuator block could be set to be hidden if the wire is on or hidden if it is off. A gemspark block could be set to always be lit, etc.
Wire Color Settings: Potentially allow each of the above settings to be done per wire color, so different colored wires could affect a given mechanism differently.
Augmentations: Basically a small inventory in the item that lets you place specific items to enhance it. So dart traps could be loaded with specific darts. A new or existing ranged trap could be loaded with a bow and ammo. The Spear Trap could be loaded with any polearm. Timers could have their speed increased or decreased (say by a factor of 2 or more) with metal bars or clocks or what-have-you. Some statues could be loaded with items to provide their effect -- such as the potion statue being given a potion supply to auto-buff people in range. Obviously with limited inventory it would be nice to be able to connect this to a chest or some such.

I am sure there are lots of other potential settings that can be thought of.

This is not remotely a problem. Pressure plates would have 2 bits of code. One for very close proximity activation, another for walking activation. One bit of code is used if they are placed on a wall or ceiling, another bit of code is used if they are placed on the ground. Potentially one bit of code could be made that would duplicate current behavior close enough and apply to all placements.

Point is, you are acting like this is a problem when it isn't. There's no need for yet another item when we already have one that will work. It will need basically the same amount of work that making the new item would to give it additional functionality. Seems cleaner that way since we don't need a ton of new items if existing items that just have their functionality increased.
You didn't understand again... I wasn't speaking about programming but about the function of the pressure plate. A pressure plate is normally activated by walking on...

Else, I suggest the adding of a detector who active 3 different wires in function of the think who pass ahead. A player active the first, a NPC the second and an enemy/animal the third.
A magic shield should be introduced, made with 5 of each lunar fragment, 10 turtle shell and one frozen turtle shell, who reflect all non-melee(including boomrang, fail, yoyo), but allow the passage of player/NPC/Enemies and can be switched on/off

You didn't understand again... I wasn't speaking about programming but about the function of the pressure plate. A pressure plate is normally activated by walking on...

Then you are not being remotely clear. You are the one who said this would be like a pressure plate. How is it not like something that activates when pressure is applied to it? If it is not like that, then say how it isn't. If it is, then walking on it or pushing against it doesn't matter -- it's all the same from a mechanics perspective (outside of programming).

something kinda like a teleporter, but not solid and can be placed as a non solid block. I thought of a magical doorway from a suggestion that kinda work like these doors:

latest

A magical door that leads to an identical yet opposite version of the world, a "mirror world"?
I also thought of a mechanism that works in a certain biome or when a certain fountain color is triggered that gives off a signal when conditions are met.

What kind of signal would be generated?

What is the utility of gemspark wires?
Allowing the player to see wires better when placing them, i.e. if placing them through thick block or at night.
[DOUBLEPOST=1441661632,1441661217][/DOUBLEPOST]Jenosis said...
latest
@Gabe Puratekuta said...
A magical door that leads to an identical yet opposite version of the world, a "mirror world"?
does that mean the whole world, but flipped through the y-axis?
does this also mean that every item in the world would be duplicated?
what can you do in this parallel world?

Allowing the player to see wires better when placing them, i.e. if placing them through thick block or at night.
[DOUBLEPOST=1441661632,1441661217][/DOUBLEPOST]Jenosis said...
latest
@Gabe Puratekuta said...
does that mean the whole world, but flipped through the y-axis?
does this also mean that every item in the world would be duplicated?
what can you do in this parallel world?

What kind of signal would be generated?
no like, the door is like a teleporter and that player travels to the other door it's wired to.

Wow, almost 75 pages :eek:
Here goes my 11th idea

Eleventh. Actuator Wand turns the state of a block on or off. It only works if there is an actuator in the block. It does not need any wire actually if uses the Blue Actuator.
I4yCLXt.png

AHXDVGG.png

THzU1ng.png
Holding the mouse button and dragging over the blocks with actuators will work like placing blocks, every block the mouse passes by will activate or deactivate depending on its previous state. Will not activate twice /activate then deactivate again after the mouse pass by the same block it passed before releasing the mouse button/ releasing the mouse button and holding it again will reset this count to prevent activating twice.
Also, there are more actuator colors to avoid cheating in adventure maps.
Yellow Actuators or Actuators can only be triggered by wiring.
Blue Actuators can only be triggered by the Actuator Wand.
Green Actuators can be triggered by both.
lcFfry3.png

08PzU54.png

I've also updated my original post.

Last edited:
Here goes my 11th idea

Eleventh. Actuator Wand turns the state of a block on or off. Only works if there is an actuator in the block. It does not need any wire actually. (Holding the mouse button and dragging over the blocks with actuators will work like placing blocks, every block the mouse passes by will activate or deactivate depending on its previous state. Will not activate twice /activate then deactivate again after the mouse pass by the same block it passed before releasing the mouse button/ releasing the mouse button and holding it again will reset this count to prevent activating twice).
7Zq28Q7.png

J0t5Rka.png

XMebVCU.png

Nah, I think a Screw Driver would be the tool used for that. Left-click with a Screw Driver to change which way something is facing. Like making dart traps face up or down. And right-click to change the settings of something, like the on/off state of something.

Here goes my 11th idea

Eleventh. Actuator Wand turns the state of a block on or off. Only works if there is an actuator in the block. It does not need any wire actually. (Holding the mouse button and dragging over the blocks with actuators will work like placing blocks, every block the mouse passes by will activate or deactivate depending on its previous state. Will not activate twice /activate then deactivate again after the mouse pass by the same block it passed before releasing the mouse button/ releasing the mouse button and holding it again will reset this count to prevent activating twice).
7Zq28Q7.png

J0t5Rka.png

XMebVCU.png

Nah, I think a Screw Driver would be the tool used for that. Left-click with a Screw Driver to change which way something is facing. Like making dart traps face up or down. And right-click to change the settings of something, like the on/off state of something.

I suggested having a sonic screwdriver that would do just that among other things.

Ooh, wiring stuff!

Well, the first things that come to mind:
- At LEAST 2 new wire wrench colors (yellow and pink? Fits the Team Colors!)
- A multi-color wrench (right click to "click" through color options)
- Wireless transmitters to convey wire signals over difficult to wire locations, or long range (And for wireless teleporters, please!)
- A variation of Snickerbobble's florescent beams
- Some new functional mob statues, perhaps other functional statues with misc. features
[DOUBLEPOST=1441689779,1441689567][/DOUBLEPOST]
Ooh, wiring stuff!

Well, the first things that come to mind:
- At LEAST 2 new wire wrench colors (yellow and pink? Fits the Team Colors!)
- A multi-color wrench (right click to "click" through color options)
- Wireless transmitters to convey wire signals over difficult to wire locations, or long range (And for wireless teleporters, please!)
- A variation of Snickerbobble's florescent beams
- Some new functional mob statues, perhaps other functional statues with misc. features
Greetings Terrarians, from the other side of the 1.3 update!

Thanks so much for your enthusiastic response to the update thus far - as well as your assistance and patience in catching and squashing so many nasty bugs. With Mac/Linux launching this week, Mobile/Console update news in the air, and the exciting announcement around the new Nintendo versions, it is safe to say that it is a fantastic time to be a Terrarian!

With all that in mind, the team sat down and started to lay out some ideas around what we may want to explore for future updates. We have a handful of ideas and a general vision for where we would like to take things coming out of that - and that begins today with our announcing that Terraria 1.3.1 will be focused around upgrading the wiring & mechanics systems in Terraria!

View attachment 69102
(Image courtesy of @ajidot)​

Though simple on the surface, the capabilities of Terraria's mechanic system are deceptively complex - as evidenced by many of the amazing creations our fans have developed over time. From the Fountain in the 1.2 Trailer to the more-recent computers (and blackjack machines! ;) ) of 2015, you never cease to amaze us. That got the team thinking - what if we expanded upon that toolbox of capabilities? Even better, what if we asked you guys for your ideas in doing so?

divider.png

Well, that is exactly what we are going to do in this thread. You get a sense for what we are trying to do with 1.3.1 - now we need your ideas for how wiring and mechanics can be taken to the next level. To submit your idea:
  • Simply post your idea in this thread which as much detail as you can provide.
  • Anything is fair game: new items, new switches, more wire colors, etc.
  • The team will read through all of your ideas along the path to development for 1.3.1, and incorporate any new ideas that seem really cool
  • Of course, we already have our own internal list of "stuff", but we will keep that a secret for now.
divider.png

Ok, we will let you get right to it - we look forward to hearing all of your amazing ideas.

Thanks!
You should add all of the items that are in terraria pc/console into the mobile version. I've been wanting to fight some new bosses and get new weapons. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom