Official Get Wired For Terraria 1.3.1: Calling All Terrarian Mechanics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about a device that allows you to join wires of different colours together - maybe red wire goes in and green comes out with teleporters on each end. This would make it less of a headache when you have a lot of wire in one place for example around a large teleporter hub. At the moment I find myself having to carefully plan the colour and path of wire, often having to make huge detours around existing wire to avoid overlapping with other same wire colour circuits. The new yellow wire will help but not completely alleviate this problem.

Well, you could technically do this with the new OR gate, since the new gates can take any number of inputs. Just hook one wire to a logic lamp, and the OR gate will forward the signal.

Not sure if it wasn't suggested yet, but how about a "target" chest? (useful for adventure maps)

It would work like this:
1. Place items in the chest
2. Send signal to chest
3. The items will disappear, but there's a special option to see the "target" content
4. When you place the same items as the chest contained, items will disappear and the chest will send a signal to connected wires

It would be useful to make quests that require players to gather specific items. Or even could work as a key lock: when you place key in the chest, it would open doors. These mechanics are similar to Key of Night/Light.
Another type of chest could be one that sends signal, but doesn't remove items afterwards. It would send signal again when "key" items are removed.

Here's just a few ideas..
- The Pink Wrench would be used as a weapon by the Mechanic. It could work like a boomerang, similarly to the wrench the Mechanic currently uses in-game. Killing the Mechanic has a chance for her to drop the Pink Wrench, and the devs could find what stats this thing could have.
- Different variations of the Tall Gate and Trapdoors.
- A drawbridge-type mechanic could be interesting.

Not sure if it wasn't suggested yet, but how about a "target" chest? (useful for adventure maps)

It would work like this:
1. Place items in the chest
2. Send signal to chest
3. The items will disappear, but there's a special option to see the "target" content
4. When you place the same items as the chest contained, items will disappear and the chest will send a signal to connected wires

It would be useful to make quests that require players to gather specific items. Or even could work as a key lock: when you place key in the chest, it would open doors. These mechanics are similar to Key of Night/Light.
Another type of chest could be one that sends signal, but doesn't remove items afterwards. It would send signal again when "key" items are removed.
:happy:Kobewi, I did suggest something similar earlier, but I appreciate knowing someone else likes the same concept as me.

dont hate me for asking this, but what use would logic gate have in terraria. the only use i would think of is a timer, and i dont see a practical use for that. can someone tell me uses for this.

One thing that I've been thinking about is a laser activation mechanism. Where there is a laser between two blocks that when an entity such as a player or enemy passes through the beam it will activate like a pressure plate and the signal will come from both of the blocks that are connected. Not only that but it is customizable similar to pressure plates to have only players activate it, only enemies, or anything activate it. One thing specific use that I thought about is have a vertical hole that you fall in and there is a gate that would be opened or activated from the beams, like actuators on blocks wired to one of the two blocks holding the beam, and that will open the gate and then you can continue falling and pass through another beam that would activate the gate and close the gate. There would also be a limit to the length of the beam, and possibly extender blocks between blocks farther apart to connect them. Also customize to where the beam is invisible or not.

Wiring - new things? Sure, simple as that, add us please a:
- BUS Wire
(you know logic schemes? - big fat wire thing which itself is nothing, but you can put inside red,yellow,green anything other wire type, and again on other end, or anywhere else make junction / connect place for particular wire already included inside this BUS wire)
Now if you need to carry on a set of wires (like in tunel across the map), just make line with bus (ofc more expensive, but simple to lay) and on the end you make wire-out red,yellow or anything previously or during whole lenght of network connected and use single wires to do anything.

What about that?
wires_T31.png

One thing that I've been thinking about is a laser activation mechanism. Where there is a laser between two blocks that when an entity such as a player or enemy passes through the beam it will activate like a pressure plate and the signal will come from both of the blocks that are connected. Not only that but it is customizable similar to pressure plates to have only players activate it, only enemies, or anything activate it. One thing specific use that I thought about is have a vertical hole that you fall in and there is a gate that would be opened or activated from the beams, like actuators on blocks wired to one of the two blocks holding the beam, and that will open the gate and then you can continue falling and pass through another beam that would activate the gate and close the gate. There would also be a limit to the length of the beam, and possibly extender blocks between blocks farther apart to connect them. Also customize to where the beam is invisible or not.
I think this could work if you had two blocks: The laser output block and the laser receiver block. The output block could have a system where it automatically connects to the nearest receiver and can be right clicked with a wrench to switch the next closest receiver(within a range of, say, 10 blocks?), and could use different gems to have different colors with different effects. Diamond could be invisible. The receiver block would be able to accept input from any number of directions. Now, what would make this interesting is that you could have logic puzzles where you have to find a way to block all the lasers coming into a receiver to open a door or something. Also, you could have particles reveal invisible lasers and maybe have the tabi dash bypass certain types of lasers.

Oh, also, I just had a thought: The game should totally have more enemy statues, maybe even one for every enemy, craftable with an armor statue and a banner from any given enemy. But that's only if the dev team has a month of spare time to devote solely to statues.

Last edited:
dont hate me for asking this, but what use would logic gate have in terraria. the only use i would think of is a timer, and i dont see a practical use for that. can someone tell me uses for this.
As Mud Bug says, they would be even more useful with more types of input, but even with what's available now I can come up with a few ideas.

Suppose you've got a double-walled fort. The outer wall has two doors and the inner wall has one. To avoid enemies getting inside, you want to set it up so the inner door will close when either outer door is open. Looks like a job for an OR gate.

Or how about a trap, you have a pressure plate in a doorway which will trigger explosives. But to avoid blowing yourself up you want to be able to turn it on and off with a switch. The AND gate would make this a simple task.

Aside from its use as a logic gate per se, the device seen in that little demo could be used in a number of other ways. Notice that it's capable of sending a signal from one color wire to another (patch) in one direction only (diode) and storing a state besides (memory). All of these are things people have requested at various times and we get them for free as a side effect.

Wireless system pleeease!!
My idea is to have two three-tiles antenna-like blocks:
-A emitter that sends a signal of power to a receiver.
-A receiver that receives emitter's signal.

For this to don't be a chaos; when right clicking on a emitter/receiver you can set up a three digits code that will make that easier, for example:
A "001" receiver receives the signal of an "001" emitter. Both will be sold by the mechanic after killing plantera for 50 gold each (high price because of the usefulness).

Last edited:
The team should add a timed switch, Crafted from a switch and a timer (simple right) that would Pulse after 1, 3, or 5 secs Pulse again, But Only Once. (Just to clarify the difference between these and the normal timers, they would only pulse twice, not keep pulsing like normal timers).

Edit: I Changed It From On/Off States To Pulses As It More Accurately Represents How The Games Mechanical System Works.

Last edited:
Reactions: JK0
The problem with this type of idea is that terraria's wiring system runs on single pulses. There is no on or off, just a pulse that toggles something's state.

I like Terraria's pulse system, but I would love if there were ALSO some kind of device to use the on/off state like Minecraft and Starbound. :s
But I think they won't do that, it would break the mechanics of the game (or not).

I like Terraria's pulse system, but I would love if there were ALSO some kind of device to use the on/off state like Minecraft and Starbound. :s
But I think they won't do that, it would break the mechanics of the game (or not).
It wouldn't work out because then there would be 2 separate wiring systems that aren't compatible with each other, making it a royal pain in the :red: to integrate them both into builds/maps.

...thus the inverse timers to give the opposing half to the "PULSE" system.
There is no opposite half. With few exceptions, the current system is symmetrical.

What I think you mean is you want an OFF signal, but the current pulse is not an ON signal, it's more of a toggle.

I'm not trying to be difficult. I actually think adding both ON and OFF signals would be a good idea. But if you want a suggestion to be seriously considered, I think it pays to spell it out clearly. If you actually meant something else, that goes double.

I know that this is in no way related to wiring, but I really want you guys to add more stuff to the Lunatic Cultist, or the cultists in general. It seems as though they're just there. And admitted, it's cool to get a new vanity and crafting station, I feel that there is a ton of room for improvement like weapons, and adding in the other types of cultists.

I know that this is in no way related to wiring, but I really want you guys to add more stuff to the Lunatic Cultist, or the cultists in general. It seems as though they're just there. And admitted, it's cool to get a new vanity and crafting station, I feel that there is a ton of room for improvement like weapons, and adding in the other types of cultists.
I would like at least one weapon, and maybe an accessory or 2.

Reactions: JK0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom