Official Get Wired For Terraria 1.3.1: Calling All Terrarian Mechanics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be cool if you had blocks that could use items when power is applied?
It could be like Minecraft's dispensers.
I can't really think of a recipe, but you guys are creative.

Last edited:
A motion sensor. You can set it somewhere, and it will alert you if it detects movement. This could help for PVP, Farms, or Traps.
Crafting Recipe: 3 Iron, 2 Lens, & 2 Glass.

A sort of defense mechanism to invasions. sort of how NoiZeBeAsT said but this is how I invision.
Intro: I'm kind of tired of having my npc's walking around doing completely nothing except playing rock paper and scizzors with other npcs [lol] and such so why not have more interactions and such like defending the base, travel together, or simply patrol around the base and kill whatever comes near.

Manned turrent: A turrent that can be broken (can be reloaded with any types of bullets has its own storage for such)(upon several hits from mobs) ( still within place) that can be fixed through specific materials to make it working again. what these turrents do is that whether a mob or invasion comes near the placed base, An npc will quickly make it's way to the closest working turrent and attempt to defend the stronghold.
damage base - 30
+ the bullet in use

Automatic turrent (self explanatory based on explanation above)

World create option: RPG mode? (gives players something to work on from beginning to end the long way) level's, quest's, level requirements, special events, event requirements, story, etc

Race selector: yes alittle bit of starbound vibe but I believe would be exciting especially the ones who mod (shoutout to all modders)

New biome (chance generated): Robotic. (materials for all these new mechanic stuff can be obtained here, some. along with new boss and new mobs and tiles and dungeon]

all I got for now. lol

I like the manned turrent idea...give the NPC's some use. In fact I've got a great Game Mode idea:

TOWN DEFENSE
Mobs target specific npc's, your job is to make sure they aren't overrun & destroyed. The game goes in waves, with each subsequent wave becoming increasingly difficult and money drops becoming more valuable. The waves (for the specific team) end when any of the targeted townspeople die, someone joins/drops from the involved team, a block/object is place by someone on the team, or a team member deactivates any of the totems of same team color.
To set it up, you put a totem (color coded for different teams) in npc owned homes. This is to mark which town NPC's will be targeted. When you activate the totem object, waves of mobs target all NPC's that have a totem in their home of the same team color.

Requirements For This Game Mode To Activate:
  • A team color must be selected.
  • Base number of (a certain team color) totem'd homes is 3; +2 totem'd homes needed for every extra person with your team color.
  • Mobs will spawn a certain distance away from each townsperson involved. If there's nowhere for them to spawn, the game mode won't activate.
  • Mobs will need some sort of a large enough path to reach each townsperson involved in order to activate; you can't surround the npc with blocks.
    • Doors are fine. Mobs in this mode can break open doors (like blood moon), even in air (as long as it's in range).
  • A team can't activate a totem that's not their color.

Game Mode Mechanics:
  • Mob kill counts are what advances the waves, not despawns (obviously).
  • Doors have a cool down rate; more mobs attacking it, the faster it breaks open.
  • Mobs will follow open paths to npc's; they won't get stuck bouncing off walls.
  • Mobs have a rate of wait limit; if it takes too long for them to be damaged by/damage involved players or townspeople, they'll despawn.
    • Despawned ground type mob be replaced by a worm type mob.
    • Despawned worm type mob will be replaced by a flying type mob.
    • Despawned flying type mob will be replaced by a flying type mob that can move through blocks.
  • If auto-turrets are implemented, mobs they kill won't count as a mob kill, they'll count as a despawn; thus being replaced by the next mob type down the list.
  • The last mob killed in each wave will drop a valuable item...the value increasing with each wave.
  • If a mob targeting a certain team color is killed by a player/npc not on the team, then it counts as a despawn (mob is replaced).
    • You can make things difficult for competing teams in other words.
  • Townspeople involved are invincible to players not on the team.

That's all I can think of at the moment. It's definitely a rough, longshot, spitball idea.

They probably won't make pistons that move normal blocks for several reasons including the fact that it can get you into areas you'd otherwise need a key (or hammer) for. Earlier I suggested Sliding Blocks, that are made to be moved, so it wouldn't complicate things too much...They'd work well with the pistons.
They could simply make the pistons stop moving blocks if there is no room left. But I must agree... it needs a lot of validation to not giving the chance to exploitation...

Oh and yeah! An RPG Mode would be amazing!!! And I'd love a counterpart to hallow, like corruption got crimson.
And maybe to the jungle - Maybe some spooky woods or something like that.

I think it would be really helpful if there were faster timers, or maybe even timers that you can customize the speed of, so you don't have to put statues and birds and pressure plates to make things flash and stuff like that.

They could simply make the pistons stop moving blocks if there is no room left. But I must agree... it needs a lot of validation to not giving the chance to exploitation...

Oh and yeah! An RPG Mode would be amazing!!! And I'd love a counterpart to hallow, like corruption got crimson.
Yeah I've seen a lot of people wanting another biome. There's probably a better chance of them creating new biomes for newer Terraria titles than them making one for the original. But with that said, I've got a couple of ideas of what its counterpart would be:

The Divine
Everything is given a golden/yellow color scheme (grass, stone, ice). Trees look swirly. The theme would be like a mixture of Japanese, Hindu, and African folklore/mythology. This world would be like the spirit realm (not like fairyland; aka The Hallow). The biome's grass would not only sprout plants, but wooden statues; a certain enemy spawned in the biome would resemble these statues & attack you if you got too close (with like a laser/light beam).

Futureland
Grass & animals are mechanical. Pretty much Robo-land.

Yes, I would like something like the Viridian, from Terraria Online, as a counterpart to Hallow.
The Depths as a counterpart to Hell.
Some sort of Swamp as a counterpart to Jungle.
Some sort of Savanna as a counterpart to Desert.
Some sort of Dry Valleys as a counterpart to Snow.
Improved Ocean biome.
More dungeons, like a sky tower, an ocean temple.
It would be really good if we could choose which one we would want in our created world too...

But, unfortunately, this is not a thread about biomes... :(
And as Jabelspector said:
There's probably a better chance of them creating new biomes for newer Terraria titles than them making one for the original.

Last edited:
This isn't a mechanic idea but... Summoning items! Instead of summoning staves why not have to make a consumable item that spawns a monster to fight for you! the monster has health and attack BUT doesn't take away from your summoning max! If you logout of terraria they stay in the world so that you don't have to make new summoning items! Also RPG More Ocean and the more races sounds cool as well... but for the races, don't make them just athsteticaly diferent make them have significant differences! Like a a race that has wings that don't take up accessory slots and you have them in the beginning but, it's attackes are weaker

Ha! That Ajidot is amazing! Woop woop! More wiring =/= More FUN! I will suggest some things soon!

My ideas edited into this post:
More (Colored) wrenches and Colored Wrench Changes:
Wrench (Material)
Black Wrench
White Wrench
Yellow wrench
CHANGES: (I hope this is not already implemented, I don't think it is)
Mechanic now only sells blank wrench for the price of a Red Wrench. You craft any colored wrench by hand with a Wrench.
Old "Wrench" is now "Red Wrench." (Wrench doesn't feel like a word anymore...)

More (Non-colored) wrenches
Antlion Wrench:
Crafted with 5 Antlion Mandibles, 50 sand, and 1 Wrench.
Reaches 8 additional tiles, 25% faster placement speed. Uses up Sand Wire.
Shadow/Bloody Wrench:
Crafted with 12 Corrupt/Crimson bars, and a Wrench
Reaches 12 additional tiles, and 12% faster placement speed. Uses Evil Wire.
Holy Wrench:
Crafted with 12 Hallowed Bars and a Wrench
Reaches to the edge of the screen, and has 25% faster placement speed. Uses Holy Wire.
Lunar Wrench:
Crafted with 14 Luminite bars and 1 wrench.
Reaches to the edge of the screen and has a 30% faster movement speed. Uses holy/regular wire.
Ultimate Wrench:
Crafted with every wrench, colored and uncolored, and the material Wrench (Wrench)
Reaches to the edge of the screen and has a 75% faster placement speed. Uses any wire, and you can change it by right clicking it (It changes through the sprites, if that's possible)

More wires:
Sand wire: 40 sand, 200 wire - 200 Sand Wire - Used by Antlion Wrench and sends connections 10% faster
Evil Wire - Crafted with 1 crimson/corrupt bar, 100 wire - 100 Evil Wire - Used by Corrupt/Bloody Wrench - Used to make Evil Connections
Holy Wire - Crafted with 1 Hallow bar, 100 wire - 100 Holy Wire - Used by Holy Wrench - Used to make Holy Connections

More actuators:
Transporter - Crafted with 50 Actuators - Makes solid walls, but still actuated (They appear solid, but you can go through them)
One-way glass - Crafted with 50 actuators - Makes non-solid non-actuated walls (They appear nonsolid, but you can't go through them)

Evil Connections:
Evil switch - Works like regular switch, but gives you Shadow Dodge for 20 seconds. Works every 15 minutes (You can use it as much as you want, but you only get the buff every 15 minutes) - Crafted with 20 switches and 1 Crimson/corrupt bar - Makes 20.
Evil lever - Same as evil switch, but a lever. - Crafted with 20 levers and 1 crimson/corrupt bar - makes 20

Holy Connections:
Holy switch - Same as evil switch, but buffs you with lifeforce for 5 minutes and you can only use every 20 minutes - Crafted with 20 switches and 1 hallow bar - makes 20
Holy lever - Same as holy switch, but with levers - Crafted with 20 levers and 1 hallowed bar - Makes 20

Wireless Stamp
'Stamps in wireless transmitters'
Uses wire
When placed, a textbox (Similar to that of a sign, but smaller) that has 9 spaces. You then copy that into another one and they're connected.

Mechanic's Workbench
Sold from Mechanic for 2 gold.
Crafts all mechanical items except color wrenches.

You can now craft wire at a Mechanic's Workshop for 1 tin/copper - Makes 50.
question will we see repeaters (like minecraft) in the game ? i think those are a must
[DOUBLEPOST=1450127985,1450127956][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'd really enjoy it if the ocean was more expansive, and there was a boat system added, or some sort of underwater biome, more expansive than what's currently available.
yes!
[DOUBLEPOST=1450128243][/DOUBLEPOST]
Well... Maybe add two more wrenches? Yellow and Black? They place down Black and Yellow wires.

Please don't sing the song.
yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

This isn't a mechanic idea but... Summoning items! Instead of summoning staves why not have to make a consumable item that spawns a monster to fight for you! the monster has health and attack BUT doesn't take away from your summoning max! If you logout of terraria they stay in the world so that you don't have to make new summoning items! Also RPG More Ocean and the more races sounds cool as well... but for the races, don't make them just athsteticaly diferent make them have significant differences! Like a a race that has wings that don't take up accessory slots and you have them in the beginning but, it's attackes are weaker
Sorry buddy, but this update is about wires and minor game mechanics only. Races and RPG elements probably won't be added. (And N Terraria already exists.) If any of what you suggested was added, it would probably be in 1.4

Well, depending on who you are, wiring can be a major or minor game mechanic.
By that part I meant that the update would only be focusing on:
1. Wires and Mechanisms.
2. Miscellaneous details. (Such as the fact that falling snow doesn't go through blocks anymore.)

Greetings Terrarians, from the other side of the 1.3 update!

Thanks so much for your enthusiastic response to the update thus far - as well as your assistance and patience in catching and squashing so many nasty bugs. With Mac/Linux launching this week, Mobile/Console update news in the air, and the exciting announcement around the new Nintendo versions, it is safe to say that it is a fantastic time to be a Terrarian!

With all that in mind, the team sat down and started to lay out some ideas around what we may want to explore for future updates. We have a handful of ideas and a general vision for where we would like to take things coming out of that - and that begins today with our announcing that Terraria 1.3.1 will be focused around upgrading the wiring & mechanics systems in Terraria!

View attachment 69102
(Image courtesy of @ajidot)​

Though simple on the surface, the capabilities of Terraria's mechanic system are deceptively complex - as evidenced by many of the amazing creations our fans have developed over time. From the Fountain in the 1.2 Trailer to the more-recent computers (and blackjack machines! ;) ) of 2015, you never cease to amaze us. That got the team thinking - what if we expanded upon that toolbox of capabilities? Even better, what if we asked you guys for your ideas in doing so?

divider.png

Well, that is exactly what we are going to do in this thread. You get a sense for what we are trying to do with 1.3.1 - now we need your ideas for how wiring and mechanics can be taken to the next level. To submit your idea:
  • Simply post your idea in this thread which as much detail as you can provide.
  • Anything is fair game: new items, new switches, more wire colors, etc.
  • The team will read through all of your ideas along the path to development for 1.3.1, and incorporate any new ideas that seem really cool
  • Of course, we already have our own internal list of "stuff", but we will keep that a secret for now.
divider.png

Ok, we will let you get right to it - we look forward to hearing all of your amazing ideas.

Thanks!
[DOUBLEPOST=1450237898,1450237398][/DOUBLEPOST]Could you add some sort of ammo box that you load with the respective ammo ( cannon balls), use a wire to connect the ammo box to stationary weapons, then connect it with a timer rather than manually firing the weapons? ( weapons would include the snowball launcher, the cannon, and the confetti cannon.)

How about some items for Spleef? I have a few items in mind.

The Spleef Actuator will take up the space a normal Actuator would be. It will toggled any inactive block over it to it's active state when it gets a wire pulse. However it will not do the same for any active block on it. Like with Actuators they will only become visible when a mechanism item is selected and are removed with the wire cutter.

The Sparring Shovel, or it could be a Sparring Pickaxe, would toggle any active block on a Spleef Actuator into the inactive state, but will not do the same for inactive blocks. Despite the name it can't mine anything.

The Sparring Grenade works much the same as the shovel/pickaxe, only it's a one time use item and can be stacked like normal grenades. Any tiles on Spleef Actuators would toggle to their inactive states if within their blast radius. Could also be crafted with gel and pink gel for sticky and bouncy versions.

The point of these items is to play Spleef. For those of you who don't know it's a sport played in Minecraft and similar games where players will try to get their opponents to fall into a pit by mining the one block thick floor that makes up the arena.

How it would work is the players would each be given a Sparring Shovel/Pickaxe and use it to toggled the blocks they are standing on. Maybe it could take a second to work. Once the match is over they can use a switch to toggle all the blocks back on. The reason why the Spleef Actuators can only toggle blocks to their active state is for clean up. Further more toggling the blocks rather then mining them would mean the players can't pick up a place the blocks. The Sparring Grenades would be for added fun.

This also has uses for adventure and other PvP maps when you want to let the players dig in areas without letting them get into places they shouldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom