PC Getting ready for Hardmode - need some help

Yaridovich

Terrarian
Hello, everyone.

After a very long while without playing Terraria (I stopped playing before patch 1.1), I went back to the game thanks to a friend and now I'm getting ready for Hardmode.
I've already read into it around and spent some time playing to get some things, make some preparations, etc. I just need to get two questions answered before.

1. I've prepared lava traps for my house since I know that Hardmode has enemies that can damage your house (Clowns - not sure if there are others). Here's an screenshot of how the lava traps are set up in my house - do you guys think this will suffice? Also, do I need to prepare traps on top of my house too?

2. Do I need to make any preparations against the spreading of Crimson/Corruption?

This is the gear I'm currently using:

- Full Molten set
- Molten Pickaxe & Hamaxe
- Night's Edge
- Flamarang
- Phoenix Blaster with Meteor Shots (or Space Gun)
- Sunfury
- Lightning Boots (trying to make the Frostsparks)
- Cloud in a Balloon (trying to make the Bundle of Balloons)
- Feral Claws
- Obsidian Shield
- Jellyfish Diving Gear

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
1. I've prepared lava traps for my house since I know that Hardmode has enemies that can damage your house (Clowns - not sure if there are others). Here's an screenshot of how the lava traps are set up in my house - do you guys think this will suffice? Also, do I need to prepare traps on top of my house too?
Clowns no longer break blocks ever since 1.2. For house defense, just place your NPC rooms 7 blocks above the ground, with no way leading up except hooks/wings/jumps. This will save you from wraiths. The others won't bother you while you are in a building at all.

2. Do I need to make any preparations against the spreading of Crimson/Corruption?
Only if you find the HM mobs to be extremely annoying. I'd keep them off from your base, but mostly letting them run rampant wouldn't harm you at all. You only have to worry about jungle, but unless a new crimson/corruption strip spawn right on top of it, it will be safe. Even if it does, it should still be in a relatively useable state unless you take really really long to reach Plantera.

Alright, thanks for the help. I'll keep the lava traps there since they still help when I don't want to deal with incoming mobs.

Also, I think that if I remove the platforms in my house's main level (the platform just above and between the two statues seen on the screenshot), it should be enough to protect the NPCs against the wraiths, right? Though I'll need to move the Guide up, but that won't be a problem.

Should I focus on finding Plantera ASAP when I get to HM?

Finally, I edited the thread and included a list of the gear I'm currently using.

Wraiths need solid blocks, and to float up, they need more than 1-block thick wall. Platforms shouldn't matter at all.
Should I focus on finding Plantera ASAP when I get to HM?
First focus is getting through all 3 HM ores(Cobalt/Palladium, Mythril/Orichalcum, Adamantite/Titanium) that will spawn as you break altars. Break as many as you like, but leave at least one or more so you can craft the PHM bosses summon later. After you reached the third armor, you can find heart fruits in the jungle to raise your hp to 500. This is optional though.

Afterwards, either wait for the mech bosses to spawn naturally(may be a long wait depending on RNG), or make the summons(hint: show iron/lead bars to the guide).

Beat all three(you can look up strategies near everywhere) mechs, then go look for Chlorophyte ores. After a couple of hours or so, there should be bulbs for you to break. You can look them up in the main map(hotkey: M). You can either use the armor you used for the mechs, or you can craft turtle if melee takes your fancy, or chlorophyte armor for a cool turret as set bonus.

Your gear should be adequate for entering HM anyway. My suggestion is that you build a house for the witch doctor in the jungle, and as soon as HM starts, get the Leaf Wings if you can spare a platinum coins.

Wraiths need solid blocks, and to float up, they need more than 1-block thick wall. Platforms shouldn't matter at all.

First focus is getting through all 3 HM ores(Cobalt/Palladium, Mythril/Orichalcum, Adamantite/Titanium) that will spawn as you break altars. Break as many as you like, but leave at least one or more so you can craft the PHM bosses summon later. After you reached the third armor, you can find heart fruits in the jungle to raise your hp to 500. This is optional though.

Afterwards, either wait for the mech bosses to spawn naturally(may be a long wait depending on RNG), or make the summons(hint: show iron/lead bars to the guide).

Beat all three(you can look up strategies near everywhere) mechs, then go look for Chlorophyte ores. After a couple of hours or so, there should be bulbs for you to break. You can look them up in the main map(hotkey: M). You can either use the armor you used for the mechs, or you can craft turtle if melee takes your fancy, or chlorophyte armor for a cool turret as set bonus.

Your gear should be adequate for entering HM anyway. My suggestion is that you build a house for the witch doctor in the jungle, and as soon as HM starts, get the Leaf Wings if you can spare a platinum coins.

Awesome, thanks for the tips!

And turrets are always good for me.

One final question - I have to go to the Jungle to summon and kill the Queen Bee. Should I leave that for HM so I can farm Fruits on the way?

Any reason to make the Witch Doctor house close to the Jungle?
Because the condition to get leaf wings is by making the witch doctor leave in the jungle biome, and HM world. Leaf wings are pretty much near damn top-tier, and you can get it with no effort, except for a platinum coin.

One final question - I have to go to the Jungle to summon and kill the Queen Bee. Should I leave that for HM so I can farm Fruits on the way?
Best you do everything available in PHM while you can. HM jungle mobs will leave you wondering "how the hell did I just die" many many times unless you are prepared.

Not to mention, exploring in PHM means you can see the jungle clearer later when you hunt for the bulbs and fruits. Don't worry about digging some holes. Most of the time what you will be doing is actually making more space for the bulbs/fruits.

Awesome, thanks for the tips!

And turrets are always good for me.

No, the jungle is hard in early hardmode.

The wall of flesh is actually an easy boss, he's overestimated.

Because the condition to get leaf wings is by making the witch doctor leave in the jungle biome, and HM world. Leaf wings are pretty much near damn top-tier, and you can get it with no effort, except for a platinum coin.

Best you do everything available in PHM while you can. HM jungle mobs will leave you wondering "how the hell did I just die" many many times unless you are prepared.

Not to mention, exploring in PHM means you can see the jungle clearer later when you hunt for the bulbs and fruits. Don't worry about digging some holes. Most of the time what you will be doing is actually making more space for the bulbs/fruits.

Yeah, I found out about the Witch Doctor just after I posted, I even removed that question from the post.

And will do, thanks again!

No, the jungle is hard in early hardmode.

The wall of flesh is actually an easy boss, he's overestimated.

So I've thought - I think I'll try to beat him alone, though I still need to make the hellbridge...

Here is my tip for fighting the wall of flesh: Get some Water Walking Potions, some Feather Falling Potions and optionally some Obsidian Skin Potions, this way you won't need to waste time with building a huge bridge... But by the time I wrote this I think you already beat him... Anyway, I would answer all the questions, but it's useless as others have already done that.

Here is my tip for fighting the wall of flesh: Get some Water Walking Potions, some Feather Falling Potions and optionally some Obsidian Skin Potions, this way you won't need to waste time with building a huge bridge... But by the time I wrote this I think you already beat him... Anyway, I would answer all the questions, but it's useless as others have already done that.

Actually not, I'm still working on getting the Frostspark before I go to HM. That and finding the Angler are the last things I need before finally fighting it. But yeah, I think I'm gonna go with the potions. Not really wanting to spend time building a huge bridge...

If you checked the wiki.... you'd realize that most of the stuff he sells are unlocked either in hardmode, or after Plantera. 2 items is correct.

Back
Top Bottom