NPCs & Enemies Ghost of the Paladin NPC - Town Defender

Leinfors

Quality Assurance
Re-Logic
Crosspost from TO: http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/ghost-of-the-paladin-npc-town-defender.144337/

Let us go baaaack in time to May of 2014 . . . *ahem*

Mowing the lawn. Always a place for me to think. Here is what today's grassacre brought us.

The Ghost of the Paladin
ab1cmr.png

You know the Paladin you fight in the Dungeon? Such a cool enemy, but it seems so out of place, surrounded by hordes of skeletons and ghosts. And a Paladin . . . aren't they supposed to be warriors for good? What happened here.

Well, the way I imagine it, yon Paladin went to the Dungeon to destroy the evil lurking there, and fell victim to it as well. Now his spirit, cursed to inhabit his now tainted armor, roams the Dungeon. But we can free him from that curse (the spirit anyway, the armor will roam the Dungeon forever)!

Acquisition:

14e2irq.png

He can be unlocked by obtaining a Paladin's Statue from the Dungeon (every Dungeon will spawn with 1), or also as a rare drop from the Paladin, and "using" 1 Ectoplasm on it. Doing so will summon him as an NPC. From here, he will need to move into a house like any other NPC.

Wiring the statue and activating it will let you teleport him to the statue, similar to the King and Queen Statues. From here, he will need to move into a house like any other NPC.

Purpose:

As an opponent of evil, the Paladin functions as a town defender. When no enemies are present, he merely wanders around like a normal NPC, but when enemies are in range, he moves like a Wraith/Reaper, floating through walls to attack the enemies that threaten the base. His concept as a "ghost" is to support this idea, since a standard NPC would suck pretty bad at defending a normal base, given their lack of ability to navigate between floors and walls. To keep things simple, he would probably attack like any other wall-hacking enemy, by contact damage, hurting and knocking back hostile mobs. Ideally, he would not take damage from such, so he would be functionally immortal (as the Iron Islanders say, what is dead may never die).

Alternatively, he could chuck hammers through walls, or a combination of the two. The exact method isn't as important as the necessity that he be able to attack enemies through and between floors and rooms; anything else and he could never reach the enemy in time to make a difference or save the NPCs.

Instead of taking damage from enemies, and to expand upon his defensive abilities, he would have an amplified "Paladin's Shield" effect, allowing him to absorb 50-75% of damage inflicted upon other NPCs even from a distance. So if Andrew the Guide gets hit for 60 damage, it would be reduced to say, 15, and the Paladin would take 45 instead. Like the Paladin enemy, he would be a bit of an HP sink, perhaps 1000 health (maybe more? its more about the concept than an exact number), and so would only "die" in the service of protecting others.

If he were to die like that, you could then spend an ectoplasm at a Paladin's Statue to revive him immediately. If not urgent, you could just let him move back in immediately.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Definitely a nice concept, it's actually pretty original, if not used once or twice already in Terraria, to have an enemy become an NPC. The ai for said NPC is also quite interesting, I'd definitely like someone keeping guard when it becomes too dangerous.

Definitely agree with that. It's nice to have a bit of variation in general, so this kind of differentiation in NPC AI would bring some interesting results.

Paladin's Statue: Maybe have the recipe include an Armor polish and a Paladin's Shield. Paladin's Shield would ensure that the player has actually killed some paladins, the armor polish just adds another ingredient from the dungeon (and gives it a bit more use as well) while not being ridiculously rare. Add a Armor statue, some ectoplasm, and there you go.

This is by far the best "town defender" suggestion I've seen so far. And I'm torn...

...because half of me is really curious about what quotes this NPC might have, while the other half insists that the Ghost of the Paladin ought to be the strong, silent type.

I would actually much prefer the idea of activating the statue with Ectoplasm, because it binds the NPC to HM Dungeon tier. Meaning that we can just let the statue generate naturally within the dungeon. After all, before the player has access to Ectoplasm, it's just a decorative item.

I'd be okay with allowing the Paladin to drop some other crafting material used to make the statue, but it doesn't seem as... parsimonious. I'm just not that comfortable with using accessories and weapons as a crafting ingredient for a placeable item with an unrelated function.

But whatever programming we need to do to make this a reality... it'll be worth it, 100% worth it.

This is by far the best "town defender" suggestion I've seen so far. And I'm torn...

...because half of me is really curious about what quotes this NPC might have, while the other half insists that the Ghost of the Paladin ought to be the strong, silent type.

I would actually much prefer the idea of activating the statue with Ectoplasm, because it binds the NPC to HM Dungeon tier. Meaning that we can just let the statue generate naturally within the dungeon. After all, before the player has access to Ectoplasm, it's just a decorative item.

I'd be okay with allowing the Paladin to drop some other crafting material used to make the statue, but it doesn't seem as... parsimonious. I'm just not that comfortable with using accessories and weapons as a crafting ingredient for a placeable item with an unrelated function.

But whatever programming we need to do to make this a reality... it'll be worth it, 100% worth it.

Finding the Statue in the Dungeon seems a good solution. Binding it to Ectoplasm accomplishes the same goal, and it solves the awkward "Paladin drops" situation.

Alternatively, he could drop the statue itself. Finding it is probably better though . . . er wait. Maybe each Dungeon could spawn with 1, and he could have a rare chance to drop others, 2% or something (in case people trash it or something). A good fallback.

Possibly.

His intention is designed to be primarily defensive, eliminating minor threats to your NPCs, or supplementing your security during invasions, keeping them alive while you go about your business. IF he was designed to target bosses, he probably wouldn't contribute much, since he wouldn't be doing knockback, and he doesn't do a whole lot of damage by design.

I'd be inclined to make him ignore bosses entirely, since I'm not designing him as a DPS-booster, but a defender of the town. The situations he would excel at would be moments when a Goblin Sorcerer teleported into your most isolated room, or when a Wraith is knocking a few NPCs around . . . he could lock on and handle a threat or two, but could never take on a whole invasion on his own, or even a boss.

One thing I would like to do though is activate/deactivate his functions by talking to him though, either turning off offensive targeting, or turning off his defensive buff.

EDIT: I've revised some of his design to reflect a year's worth of consideration and feedback.

Last edited:
at last, an idea to keep my NPC's alive. batnoam will now survive :p

really though, this is an awesome idea. leinfors shouldnt be a moderator. he should be a developer.:D

I'm not that good. I can't code for crap, and almost all of my art is Frankenstein's of other Terraria sprites, modified to look original.

I don't think there are any "lets just . . . think about ideas" positions on the dev team. :p

This is pretty nice, concidering why a pirate, magical nymph, a tinkerer, demolitionist, arms dealer, witch doctor, wizard, or cycborg cant defend themselfs, despite them selling pretty good weapons >.> or being fighters

I think it's lovely and amazing!
But of course, being the paladin of the forums (Do I have the right to call myself that? Please tell), I would obviously like such an idea.

This makes me wonder; have you read Samrux's story, Leinfors? The one I wrote. Of course I don't mind other people's stories and theories conflicting with my own, though, since my story is pretty close-minded when it comes to the origin of the dungeon and paladins. I love other thoughts on the matter.

Anyways, have this "awe hammer" for your impressive idea and suggestion:
-_PH

SamHpy

Love this idea! I hate when a possessed armor or something gets in my house and kills one of my npc's. This would help a ton, so I wouldn't have to build traps and defenses everywhere.

That is an interesting concept for a guard character. Normally the suggestions for guards cannot move very well but being a ghost makes him superior. I think the paladin should have special conversations when you get the paladins shield.

Ugh... I hate the Paladins. I never thought you'd make a post like this... although this is a real unique suggestion my hate for the Paladins and their popularity is just too much...

Half support.

Back
Top Bottom