Biomes & Nature Giant Tree Varieties and Improvements.

What do you like?

• Total voters

bad_news

Duke Fishron
Giant Trees are one of the features of the new update that the builder types immediately took advantage of; there have been a great many treehouses and other structures based on them. However, they're dull, so I'm proposing some variety. Currently there are three types of giant trees: ones without a tunnel, ones with a tunnel and no chest, and ones with a tunnel and a chest. Here are my proposed changes to these varieties:

Normal treasure room trees
The kind we're all familar with, no significant change.

Old Growth Trees
Would replace trees that currently grow with a tunnel but no treasure room. They would have a different treasure room at the bottom of the tunnel; more cave-like than room-like. Potentially, they could also have a small chance to spawn as a spider nest.

Treehouses
dbb68c4d41.jpg

Would replace trees that currently have no tunnel, but rather just a root system. These would be increased in size and have tunnels going up through them to a roomy treehouse at the top, which would be larger than the current treasure rooms and have more furnishing.

Now that that's out of the way, I'd like to propose the addition of a new type of tree: in the jungle, giant trees could now spawn as redwoods. These trees would be larger than the current giant trees and reach all the way to a floating island (which would be guaranteed to spawn there), supporting the floating island. The island would be nestled in the boughs of the tree, rather than floating on a cloud. Redwoods would also not have a tunnel of any kind.

As always, thoughts, criticisms, feedback and opinions are welcome!

Last edited:
These are great ideas, I have always wanted to add more stuff to the giant trees, but if you want more people to comment about your ideas, you should add some concept art for this idea.

Added a poorly-made example treehouse; I'm not very good at building, so apologies for the low quality.

Maybe make the tree houses smaller, and possibly remove the lamps and such, we don’t want the guide up a tree at the start of the game ;)

Added a poorly-made example treehouse; I'm not very good at building, so apologies for the low quality.
That's great! Now that people are understanding what you had in mind, they'll support it.

And don't worry about bad building, I'm not very good at building either, because people still understand what you were thinking.

As continuing from my previous comment, giant trees are only useful at the start of the game, when you either hallow (heh) one out and make a treehouse, or stealing all the crap inside.
I still very much like.

I always thought the Living Wood needed some life added to it and you've put this on the spot very well :) Maybe even Shadewood, Ebonwood, Pearlwood, Rich Mahogony and Spooky Wood trees, should they be infected/purified.

Yes.

That badge.

I must show my undying support for this suggestion.

@Cenx
Please add this. This is so amazing of an idea for early game.

Edit: I hate my internet....

I always thought the Living Wood needed some life added to it and you've put this on the spot very well :) Maybe even Shadewood, Ebonwood, Pearlwood, Rich Mahogony and Spooky Wood trees, should they be infected/purified.
Redwood would generate in the jungle and be placeable, but I don't think that it should be corruptible; it's actually a nice barrier, and they definitely shouldn't generate in those biomes :p

Perhaps. Ideas are welcome for hallowed/corrupted/crimsoned(?) variants, although I'm a bit iffy on it; perhaps large dead trees could spawn in the corruption and crimson.
Would it mean that they could get taken over by the hallow/crimson/corruption? cause i don't see how a giant tree could spawn in the hallow

Back
Top Bottom