Giving one npc a two story home (Help!)

jworkm1641

Terrarian
I want to give all of my npcs their own home, some with basements, but I cant figure out how to get them to go down the stairs! Any one have any luck with this?
I have a one story wooden house that meets all requirements, with five blocks of platforms and a set of stairs leading down to a basement. It keeps saying that the basement is a separate house

Last edited:
So I want to give them the ability to like, go into a basement in their own house, but it considers it to be a room, and the arms dealer won't even go up the stairs of the basement he is in. I haven't played in years, I was hoping I could give them neat little multistoried homes all to their selves.

Attachments

• Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    1.6 MB · Views: 205
Now, I haven't played in a while, so I'm not entirely sure if it would work the way you want it to, but I think you could put a small hole in the floor or platforms so the game thinks that there isn't anything seperating the two floors?

Well the main issue is getting them to go up an down the stairs in the same building, without utilizing another "room" to act as a stairway

Correct me if I'm wrong but, you can't really do that in Terraria. NPCs can go up or down the stairs, but they don't jump on and off horizontal platforms. If you put them in the basement, they'll climb up the stairs and into the first floor and just stay there, unable to go down. As long as that platform at the top, serving as the "floor" of the first floor, they won't be able to go downstairs.
The solution is to put the basement further away, not directly under the first floor, and have a simple staircase lead to it without a "floor" platform at the top. That way, they'll freely go up and down.

So basically, I could give them multiple floors but they won't be able to use any of them? That's trash
Yes! :(
NPCs only travel horizontally. They only jump when there's an obstacle in their way. They don't jump up and down platforms.
But no worries, you can build your houses whichever way you like and pretend they walk up and spend time there when you're away, you know, delusion is nice sometimes.

Unfortunately, I prefer realism lol. I've managed to get them to go upstairs, and back down. I guess I'll just have to give them an unused basement and a functional upstairs. I can't seem to get them to walk through the stairs though, the dryad is stuck on the left and the witch doctor is stuck on the right, any ideas?

Attachments

• Screenshot (3).png
    Screenshot (3).png
    1.1 MB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure they'll always use stairs if they run into them, so to get them to go through, you gotta break a tile or two of the stairs up to their respective lofts, to make it an incomplete stair, so they can't go up there. Might be able to get them to do both if you remove the first couple stair blocks from the lower floor, see if that gives them the option to jump to the stairs or just walk through.

Ah, but then they won't go back down the stairs as they won't jump down. I don't quite want to swallow my defeat just yet, but it seems like their pathing just hasn't gotten to where I want it to be. Played about 200 hrs like five years ago and it seems like they haven't changed one bit

Back
Top Bottom