Weapons & Equip Giving the Lunaric Cultist proper drops.

Add or Don’t add?

• Add

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Add but change

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Don’t add

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ThatRandomBuilderGuy

Eye of Cthulhu
Lunatic cultist will be referred to as “Lc” for rest of this post,
Lc currently has no drops at all other than the manipulator, giving it the least amount of loot in the game, the reason (I think) for this is so we don’t have to the the lunar events multiple times just for drops, But hey, we probably do anyway trying to get the lunar armor.

Drops:
Phantasm dragon staff.
(25% chance) Magic Fragment
Solar launcher
The Icicle
Electricuter
Expert Bag Drop: Mysterious Tablet

What they do:
Phantasm dragon staff
Tooltip: Summons a phantasm dragon to fight for you.
Not a complete ripoff of the stardust dragon staff, Summons multiple dragons (each is small) and they will spit tiny ancient dooms that pierce at the enemy. Each does 38 damage.

Solar Launcher
Tooltip: A handheld spiked cannon.
Launches a solar spike ball, Solar spike ball acts like any normal flail. Combines launched flails and thrown flails.
Inflicts On Fire! to enemy’s.
Does 68 damage

The Icicle
Tooltip: Does not melt in summer.
Shoots bullets. All musket balls are converted to Frozen Bullets which inflict a new debuff on a enemy called “Freezeflame”
Does 44 damage.
Fires very fast.

Electricuter
Tooltip: Don’t stick anything in it.
Makes it rain thunder bolts on the enemy. Bolts will explode on contact with the ground.
Uses 9 mana per bolt.
Each bolt does 65 damage.

Magic Fragment
Tooltip: A little cultist is following you.
Summons a small pet cultist, about the height of a bunny, to follow you.

Expert: Mysterious Tablet.
Placable. Can float in mid air,
I have no idea what this one should do, was thinking a third chance to not consume materials when crafting things, or a crafting station for everything in the game.

Leave feedback please, not sure about any of the stats.

There's a reason why LC doesn't have drops. The post-Plantera tier is the most over-stuffed in the game. It needs severe rebalancing as it is, not even more weapons.

But it wouldn’t be post plantera, it would be post golem/lunatic.

ANd post plantera is only frost/pumpkin moons, like 3 enemy’s in the eclipse, and dungeon upgrade. It’s less than post wof.

But it wouldn’t be post plantera, it would be post golem/lunatic.

ANd post plantera is only frost/pumpkin moons, like 3 enemy’s in the eclipse, and dungeon upgrade. It’s less than post wof.
From Plantera to Moonlord is functionally one tier, going by item stats and progression. We have:

The Dungeon
The Moons
Golem
Plantera
Solar Eclipse
The Duke
Martian Madness
on top of the Celestial Invasion, which is actually comparable or even inferior in damage potential to aforementioned options.

It is simply outrageous how many weapons are available in this extremely short period, even if you split them into the 4 classes. I can outline an entire list if you still aren't convinced. But my point still stands: we need to control the flames, not pour gasoline on them.

I highly disagree. I think of post-Plantera as branching out rather than being linear, like in the same way pre-Hardmode is. You can skip all the pre-Hardmode stuff, just like you can skip nearly all the post-Plantera stuff. While this developed more naturally than pre-Hardmode, with more stuff getting tacked on during the 1.2.x updates and 1.3, it means that you basically get the experience of pre-Hardmode stuff if you want.

I highly disagree. I think of post-Plantera as branching out rather than being linear, like in the same way pre-Hardmode is. You can skip all the pre-Hardmode stuff, just like you can skip nearly all the post-Plantera stuff. While this developed more naturally than pre-Hardmode, with more stuff getting tacked on during the 1.2.x updates and 1.3, it means that you basically get the experience of pre-Hardmode stuff if you want.
Content for the sake of content should not be encouraged. The current meta has devolved into a few good items per class and a very many items which are highly mediocre, most often in comparison to the Duke. Collecting gear should be streamlined towards challenges, not merely for the sake of collecting gear. And branching paths are an illusion when only a few roads lead to your destination.

Content for the sake of content should not be encouraged. The current meta has devolved into a few good items per class and a very many items which are highly mediocre, most often in comparison to the Duke. Collecting gear should be streamlined towards challenges, not merely for the sake of collecting gear. And branching paths are an illusion when only a few roads lead to your destination.
Ehh. Did you ever really need to fight Queen Bee? That Guide Voodoo Doll was always just sitting there. I like having more options open up post-Plantera, because that's how Terraria's always done it and always should do it.

Ehh. Did you ever really need to fight Queen Bee? That Guide Voodoo Doll was always just sitting there. I like having more options open up post-Plantera, because that's how Terraria's always done it and always should do it.
Queen Bee isn't as much of a problem due to the relative ease of pre-hardmode, but it has suffered from the same effect. The Bee's Knees is the closest thing in the game to a busted weapon after the Stormbow. The difference being, in pre-hardmode there's a nice selection of gear for each class to collect for the boss, whereas post-Plantera there is as much gear to collect for Moonlord as for the entirety of pre-Plantera combined. Which again, would be a welcome divergence if not for the outrageous balance problems introduced every time 1.2 or 1.3 chose that period as a dumping-ground for whatever concept popped into someone's head. There is nothing wrong with having weapons that are stronger than others, but when you have something like the Candycorn Rifle adjacent to the Sniper Rifle, it becomes a problem that invalidates a lot of developer work and harms weapon diversity.

There's a reason why LC doesn't have drops. The post-Plantera tier is the most over-stuffed in the game. It needs severe rebalancing as it is, not even more weapons.
I understand and mostly agree with this point of view, but it is still a little weird that there is a boss that provides literally nothing for you in terms of horizontal progression. Skeletron was in a similar position at one point and has since received a little bonus. Nothing so extreme as four big flashy weapons, but at least the Book of Skulls and hook are something.

I was thinking he could drop something called a “Telekinetic Core”, which would replace Luminite Bars in the crafting recipes of lunar-tier wings. Or something else. I agree that there’s no need for him to drop weapons, but I think we ought to at least receive something other than a lunar-tier participation ticket.

Yeah, I agree we could easily use a rebalancing of weapons, but I personally like the amount of content in post-Plantera.
I didn't say there was anything wrong with the amount. I said it's unbalanced and doesn't need even more unbalancing.

Unless they allowed the Cultist to respawn before beating the pillars, this wouldn't work. If a player wanted to kill it for a specific item, they would not be able to have that weapon for the Moon Lord unless they got lucky. It would be possible if the drops were 100% though.

Last edited:
I sort of agree on this, I don't like the fact that he'll drop weapons because you can easily pick a pillar directly after and get a weapon then, but perhaps maybe a sort of accessory or crafting material that can be mixed with...I don't know, earlier weapons?
Perhaps dropping a material called "Devout Residue" that can be mixed with some other weapon to make it more powerful?
I don't know, just a totally random thought. I'm just not behind such an easy boss having the potential to drop anything valuable.

I agree that there’s no need for him to drop weapons, but I think we ought to at least receive something other than a lunar-tier participation ticket.
I sure would like a phantasm dragon though.
Phantasm_Dragon.png

Wouldn't even have to be a weapon. I take it as a pet, or a mount, or even just a kite.

I have to agree with Lord Garak. Frankly, there are so many post-planterra items that in the end I'm left wondering what to do with it all. There's nothing wrong with having all of that, but without more challenges to overcome using said items, it all feels a little empty. If it helps, think of the Lunatic Cultist as part 1 of a 5 part boss: The cultist himself, and each of the four pillars. In that case, the cultist has many of the best drops in the game. ^-^

Back
Top Bottom