Biomes & Nature Giving the new Desert some spice

Oh gosh, it's been forever since I wrote that. For me, though, the main problem with the official content was that it made the desert harder, but not really more interesting or rewarding. There's a bit of cool things in the antlion hills, but nothing that you can't easily skip without missing out. Sandstorms are unique, but the mobs that went with them didn't really have a purpose. Most of the mobs they added had no new drops, and then there were things like the Mandible Blade which I just found to not be worth the amount of effort it took to get it. Overall...it's not that I'd say the desert content has necessarily been bad, so much as that I find the biome unrewarding to explore - especially after they buffed crawlers.

So, having left this mostly unattended for a few years (and even through 1.3.3!) I opted to expand it a little. There are now some changes in the Pyramid that take place during Hardmode, with opportunities for new loot. Unfortunately, since my co-conspirators have since left the forums, I was the only idea/spriting man behind these.

Enjoy!

Yo, I don't know how this thread managed to slip under my radar, but all of these ideas are really :red:ing cool. Especially the Monsoon, which brings the North Pole/Cursed Dart effect to pre-Hardmode.

Though there are a couple of questions I'd like the answer to:

-Currently, sand is technically a renewable resource, but only through extremely weird methods like camping near Antlions, or using the Sandgun with ammo conservation bonuses. I see a lot of recipes that require sand, but in the end, sand remains nonrenewable; changing the Sandgun so it no longer creates a mess would be essential to make it a practical weapon, but that comes with the side effect of making sand even harder to farm than before. I know that it's available in large quantities, but generally I believe that consumable resources should be renewable, no matter how abundant they are at first.

-I saw "cloud of damaging sand" or something to that effect several times. Now for the Sandgun, sure, that's fine. But for a sword, I'm sure you can come up with something better. Right now I'm imagining it kind of like the Chlorophyte Saber, which is a weapon that I don't consider to be very good. And the bullets are looking disproportionately powerful for preHM; I know that you haven't included an exact number, but with such a strong attack pattern, I don't see how it could be brought in line with the other preHM bullets without gutting its damage entirely.

Basically, look at all the concepts that "create a cloud of damaging sand", and choose one.

-I sure hope Sunstone is a status effect applied to a block and not a complete override of the block's identity, because a boss that can actually edit blocks is going to potentially cause problems. Even that box that the Wall of Flesh creates upon death is starting to look a little dated.

Looking back at this after a few years, I entirely agree on the concept of the Sandgun. While leaving it the way it is isn't the right answer, changing it like I did is also pretty much a straight downgrade.

Things I'm considering:
-Remove sand bullets entirely
-Have the sandgun consume either sand or bullets, granting bullets a sand-trailing effect (balanced out) while consuming sand as it already does

Would these fixes be okay for everyone? The Sandgun has been a major sticking point in both this suggestion and my consciousness for as long as it's existed, and I'd like to tweak it properly.

Cloud of damaging sand is a boring effect, you're right. I'll see if I can tweak it to something more interesting for the Tumble Blade.

The way sunstone works now is pretty bad, I'll agree. Most obvious change I can see is to tweak it into a particle that works like the Martian Saucer's napalm.

So with this creature of -4 defense, what would happen if you reduced its defense with ichor or betsys wrath?
Would probably just get absolutely obliterated by anything tougher than a copper shortsword. It's mainly just a gimmick because I was having fun, really. Figured that since the Snow Flinx has negative knockback resistance, why not give something negative defense?

Back
Top Bottom