Glacial Ice

Discussion in 'Biomes & Nature' started by Baconfry, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Baconfry

Baconfry Official Terrarian

Hey, everyone. After having maintained this thread for a long time, across both forums, I have decided that if only one of my ideas makes it into Terraria, it would be this one.

There were a few things that motivated me to make this suggestion. This is the background, and the three problems I'm going to address.

First of all:
    [​IMG] + [​IMG] = [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Hallowed bars? For Frost Armor? That doesn't seem right, does it? You don't even have to venture into the Underground Snow to get it, and that's sort of weird.

1.3 replaced the Hallowed Bars with Adamantite/Titanium. In terms of tier, this is appropriate. However, those two ores are a headache to obtain, and in terms of coloration, they make even less sense than the Hallowed Bars.

Second:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]& [​IMG] [​IMG] = [​IMG]
    These tools don't even need to crafted, because they don't mine anything their predecessors can't. What a shame.

Finally:
    [​IMG] = foreveralone.png
    Where are the Flask of Frost and Frost bullets?

So, here's my suggestion.

In the Underground Snow, once Hardmode is initiated, a new ore will spawn and grow near the bottom of the biome right above where it terminates, growing similarly to the way Chlorophyte grows. It griws on normal ice... but not pink or purple! It requires 175% pickaxe power to mine, which can be supplied by Titanium/Adamantite tools but not Orichalcum/Mythril.

[​IMG] Glacial Ice. (Thanks SzGamer227!) (In real life, glacial ice is extremely compacted ice, found deep at the bottom of a glacier, and because it lacks air pockets, it appears as a beautiful shade of blue.) At an Adamantite/Titanium forge, it's crafted into Glacial Bars, at a 4:1 ore/bar conversion rate.

[​IMG]Thanks for the sprite, @Scarecrow!
    [​IMG]And thank you @Sheldon Cooper for providing an updated 1.3 sprite!

Now comes the good part.

[​IMG] x3 + [​IMG] = [​IMG] Flask of Frost (does what you think it does)

But that's where "does what you think it does" ends.

[​IMG]
    Frost Bullet
    11 ranged damage
    Bounces off surfaces an unlimited number of times until it hits an enemy. Lasts for 1 second. Kind of like a non-piercing Shadowbeam Staff.

150 bullets for every bar, crafted with Musket Balls.

[​IMG]
    Frost Arrow
    14 ranged damage
    Sticks into surfaces, and damages an enemy that touches it once. Lasts for 10 seconds after striking a surface. (Breaks if it hits an enemy.) People who like using Spiky Balls in pre-Hardmode are going to love this one.

100 arrows per bar.

[​IMG]
    Frost Dart
    10 ranged damage
    If it hits an enemy or surface, it explodes into a short-lived ice cloud that deals constant damage. Any solid blocks within the explosion radius are temporarily coated in damaging ice, for 10 seconds.

100 darts per bar.

(All three sprites provided by SzGamer227.)

Frost Armor is now crafted with Frost Cores and Glacial Bars.

So now we have a practically-renewable crafting material with all these needs. Here's one change that'll make it fully renewable:

[​IMG] -> [​IMG] @ water source. Just pop a Snow Globe and there you go.

It's almost a full-fledged ore! All we need are some weapons crafted with them, and it would be complete!

[​IMG] x12 = [​IMG]

[​IMG] x12 = [​IMG]

[​IMG] x12 + [​IMG] = [​IMG]

Baconfry... you don't mean to say... it can't be...?!

OH YES I'M 100% SERIOUS

I promise that the next thread will address the problem of the newly-emptied Ice Mimic, and I think you will all be satisfied.

In the meantime, spread the word, reply, discuss, do everything you think you need to do. Thank you for reading, and thank you for putting up with the horrible format this thread has been in for the past year, which I hope I've successfully fixed somewhat!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  2. PenguinPandaZero

PenguinPandaZero Official Terrarian

Seems interesting. And yes, you are right about the [​IMG]+ [​IMG] = [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] not making sense.
    I just think it'd need more uses to be worth collecting. (Don't ask me what)

BryTheGamer, OrphanRain and Samrux like this.
  3. Space Moose

Space Moose Terrarian

I heavily support this idea, I would love a flask of frost.

Evilgrapez likes this.
  4. Tamamo

Tamamo Terrarian

The flask of frost and frost bullets would make Frost Armor useless.
    No like.

LI IVIAD BRO likes this.
  5. Baconfry

By that logic, Flask of Fire would make the Magma Stone useless. And wouldn't people typically want to use their one slot for Flasks on something like Ichor or Venom? Frost Armor isn't useless because it stacks with Flasks.

Anyways, on my old thread, I mentioned that instead of Frostburn, Frost Bullets could give a temporary flash freeze effect on hitting an enemy. Would you prefer that?

6. Tamamo

Tamamo Terrarian

Oh yes, a flash freeze would be quite interested.
    Perhaps Glacium?

7. Dragrath

Dragrath Skeletron Prime

Well just like before support still think it should be only one mech boss however for same reasons I argued before

8. DarthEnderX

DarthEnderX Terrarian

Like it. Snow biome should be on the same level as the Jungle. So it SHOULD have it's own Hardmode Ore.

The name could be better. Doesn't really sound much like an ore.

The Flaming Crown likes this.
  9. Tylerthedragon

Tylerthedragon Steampunker

Every suggestion you make just shocks me! I love the idea! I'd also like some snow boss of some sorts, as the Snow Biomes feel pretty empty most of the time.

100% support this idea to a tee! This could also bring an improvement for the ice sword and snowball launcher.

Baconfry likes this.
  10. Baconfry

Then you'll love my next one. Shocking, you say? :dryadwink:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  11. Kaio

Kaio Official Terrarian

I completely agree! The snow drops are very rare because people often don't mine in the ice, so...

12. Tylerthedragon

Tylerthedragon Steampunker

Oooh! I'm getting exited just thinking about it!

13. SzGamer227

SzGamer227 Spazmatism

Really? Wouldn't you prefer to have homing Frostburn Bullets? Or Explosive Frostburn Bullets? Or any ability any other bullet has with Frostburn? i know I would. Imo, there aren't enough bullets that inflict DoT debuffs. The real merit against Frost bullets is the fact that they would just be a weaker version of Venom Bullets that affect more types of enemies, but I have a solution for that.

As for a freezing effect, would be cool, but I don't know how it would be implemented. The Frozen effect that players can sustain has a block of ice that surrounds the player, which would not work for the wide variety of mob sizes.

14. Youfad

Youfad Skeletron Prime

Seems legit.

15. Baconfry

Ohohoho! "Would be cool", you say? Knowing you, I doubt that was an accident.

That aside, I propose that the appearance of the Frozen debuff be changed: a pale blue tint to the affected entity, much like Ichor's golden tint.
    That way, you don't need to fit them into a little cage. Surprised that isn't the way it was done in the first place.

16. SzGamer227

SzGamer227 Spazmatism

Would be cool because I want to drop flying enemies from the sky with Frost Bullets. :p

Anyways, I kind of like the whole ice cube thing, but I wouldn't mind too much if enemies didn't freeze that way.

The Flaming Crown likes this.
  17. Niranufoti

Niranufoti Plantera

Seems alright by itself, as long as it doesn't come with such an overly huge list of different equipment items as some other suggestions. Glacier Bricks would be cool though.
    Warming up the discussion about a freezing effect for NPCs, that wouldn't only be a problem on the rendering part. It would also require a frozen-check in each and every AI style's code, which would probably be a lot of work, to say the least.

18. Gotcha!

Gotcha! Pumpking

I approve of this thread. Not that you'd need my approval, but you got it anyway! So there. :cool:

19. Baconfry

Hmm. I've seen videos of mods that pulled it off.

Anyways, what might be considered is introducing a "Frozen AI", which replaces the Frozen enemy's normal AI. This AI would just sit stationary in the same spot for as long as the debuff lasts.

20. Niranufoti

Niranufoti Plantera

Well, of course, the game could just skip the AI and movement steps for frozen NPCs, but then we a) couldn't freeze flying enemies out of the sky, and b) a jumping enemy would be glued to the air and only continue falling after the debuff wears off, so it'd be more of a time-freeze.