Biomes & Nature Glacial Ice

What weapons should be crafted with Glacial Ice?

• No weapons are needed; it has already fulfilled the role it needs to fulfill.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I love the idea, but maybe something like a small glacier micro-biome with the glacial ice on it would be more realistic.

Well, this is a very old thread, but obviously one of my more popular ones, and I think the improvements that it would bring would still be relevant to the current version. I've updated it and fixed the images, which mostly broke around the time terrariaonline was decommissioned.

One thing to discuss is the new Forbidden Armor set, which was clearly meant to be the Frost Armor's dual-class counterpart. Of the two, which set do you prefer? How do they measure up to each other? And should the Titanium/Adamantite in the Forbidden Armor crafting recipe be swapped out for something else?

Please feel free to discuss these topics, and also vote in the poll.

Reactions: Bry
I wouldn't mind seeing an alternative bar system for the Forbidden Armor, I'm curious to see what you could come up with.

The Frost Flower probably needs a slight buff. It only has slightly higher damage than the Fire Flower, which doesn't cut it in hardmode(AND a higher mana cost. Seriously?) I'd rather use those bars on the Ice Bow, which is much better for the same tier. Maybe make it so that it has less mana cost than it does now(right now it guzzles mana like a Hummer does with gas)or give it piercing cabapility, like up to 2/3 targets. The Frostband may need a slight buff too, but I wouldn't call it as neccessary, it serves it's job as a sword at that tier well enough for a Melee user.
I just realized that you discussed the same thing in the post, I just didn't notice it. Doh! Agreed though, they do need a buff for their tier.

Nice suggestion otherwise.
Edit: Good job @Sonnette, @Scarecrow, and @SzGamer227 with the nice and polished sprites!

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind seeing an alternative bar system for the Forbidden Armor, I'm curious to see what you could come up with.
I was thinking that Ancient Cloth dropped by Ghouls could be used for crafting Forbidden Armor instead. This won't require Titanium or Adamantite Pickaxes, but to be fair, the underground Desert is one of the nastier biomes to survive in straight out of hardmode, and farming ghouls might be tougher than mining ores. Plus, Ancient Cloth is currently used only for a vanity set, and not even an especially pretty one.

Nice suggestion otherwise, the sprites are nice looking and polished.
Give that praise to the people who made the sprites for me!

Hey, everyone. After having maintained this thread for a long time, across both forums, I have decided that if only one of my ideas makes it into Terraria, it would be this one.

A few things motivated me to make this suggestion:
  • Titanium and Adamantite make little sense as crafting ingredients for Frost Armor, and they are also a hotly contested resource.
  • There is only one ice-themed ammunition type, the Frostburn Arrow.
  • There is no special ore that requires an Adamantite or Titanium Pickaxe to mine.

So, here's my suggestion.

In the Underground Snow, once Hardmode is initiated, a new ore named View attachment 205556 Glacial Ice will spawn and grow near the bottom of the biome right above where it terminates, growing similarly to the way Chlorophyte grows. It grows on normal ice, but not pink or purple. It requires 175% pickaxe power to mine, which can be supplied by Titanium/Adamantite tools but not Orichalcum/Mythril.

At an Adamantite or Titanium Forge, it can be crafted into Glacial Bars, which replace Adamantite/Titanium Bars in the crafting recipe for Frost Armor. Each bar is crafted with four ores.

View attachment 205552 (1.2 version)
index.php
(1.3 version)

In addition to being used in Frost Armor, Glacial Bars and Glacial Ice can be used to make a number of consumable items.

View attachment 205555
Frost Bullet
11 ranged damage
Bounces off surfaces an unlimited number of times until it hits an enemy. Lasts for 1 second. Kind of like a non-piercing Shadowbeam Staff. Much more viable than Meteor Shot in enclosed spaces, but does not pierce.

One Glacial Bar in combination with 150 Musket Balls makes 150 Frost Bullets.

View attachment 205553
Frost Arrow
14 ranged damage
Sticks into surfaces, and damages an enemy that touches it once. Lasts for 5 seconds after striking a surface. (Breaks if it hits an enemy.) Has an incredible synergy with the Daedalus Stormbow, and is extremely effective against grounded enemies.

One Glacial Bar makes 100 Frost Arrows.

index.php

Frost Dart
10 ranged damage
If it hits an enemy or surface, it explodes into a short-lived ice cloud that deals constant damage. Any solid blocks within the explosion radius are temporarily coated in damaging ice, for 10 seconds. Could potentially give Exploding Bullets a run for their money when used against the Destroyer.

One Glacial Ice makes 100 Frost Darts. This continues the trend of darts being crafted by hand.

View attachment 205554
Flask of Frost
All melee attacks inflict Frostburn.

To make Frost Armor more unique, wearing the full set of Frost Armor would now grant immunity to On Fire!, and also give melee and ranged attacks a chance to briefly freeze enemies in place. This chance is inversely proportional to the target's knockback resistance, and would never trigger on those immune to knockback.

Finally, Glacial Ice can be used to craft a number of weapons.

index.php
x12 = View attachment 205567

index.php
x12 = View attachment 205566

index.php
x10 + View attachment 205564 = View attachment 205565

Admittedly, these weapons are a bit underwhelming in their current state, and requiring 175% pickaxe power to obtain wouldn't make things any better. Therefore, any update that included Glacial Ice would also include buffs to these three weapons.

This would force Ice Mimics to share a drop table with regular Mimics, a change that might not be too popular. I suppose I should edit the poll to see what you prefer.

As always, thank you for reading my thread, and I apologize for not fixing the broken images sooner. I did change a few things in my edit, (such as giving Frost Armor a new set bonus) so I would be very happy to see some discussion on that.

This is cool! I like the idea of making ice mimics having normal chest drops, even shadow mimics don’t have special drops, I like the idea of making the ice weapons.

Back
Top Bottom