NPCs & Enemies Glorify the Golem

Will you support Glorifying the Golem?

• Yes! I've always thought the Golem was underpowered.

Votes: 32 74.4%
  • Yes! I didn't think the Golem was too weak, but I do now.

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Yes! I enjoy extra challenge.

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • No! I don't think the Golem is too weak.

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • No! I like having an easier boss fight.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

tallstar27

Skeletron Prime
Hello! Welcome to Glorify the Golem!

We're here to talk about this guy:

-------> :golem: <-------

~~~ The Issue ~~~

The fact of the matter is the Golem needs to be seriously buffed.

"Slow down there," you may be thinking. "This is most likely just a case of one person thinking a boss is too easy when it is actually a matter of opinion!"

Well, I would say that this question is not actually a matter of opinion becasue the Golem is demonstrably underpowered. I'd like to present Exhibit A: a video of a player defeating the Golem using entirely pre-hardmode equipment.

If
you can fight and win against a boss using equipment several tiers weaker than were designed for the fight, it is a sign that the boss needs more power. Given! That video is set in a standard difficulty world, not and expert mode one, but that's not important. Standard difficulty bosses deserve to be a challenge as well, and even the expert mode Golem is on the underpowered side. I have less concrete evidence for this observation, which means it is more of a matter of opinion, but I do have opinions to back me up!

- YouTuber BaumProductions said of the expert Golem "That was not hard at all! ...
this was so pathetically easy ... this is just too [darn] easy. It almost seems like they forgot to make an expert version of the Golem!" (https://www.youtube . com/watch?v=WIka4MWvSjg ~ 6:08)
- If you know of any other renowned Terrarians I can quote who also think the Golem is too easy, let me know!

~~~ Why Do We Care? ~~~

The Golem needs to be stronger because now he actually has a purpose. In updates prior to 1.3, it wouldn't have been as important to make the Golem a threat; after all, fighting him was just a way to get better melee armor and a few new toys to help with the moon events. Now, however, defeating the Golem spawns the Cultists and allows players to begin the Lunar Event. He is the gatekeeper of endgame and he's sleeping on the job.

Here's an analogy for you: imagine there is a new fitness test required to be able to join the military. This test is to be able to do 5 push-ups. As a result of having a ridiculously easy qualifier, scores and scores of people flock to the military without having made proper preparations, and die horribly in combat. This situation, underpowered people getting destroyed because they didn't need to be well prepared for the easy qualifier, is what's happening because of the Golem's flimsiness.

Players don't need to take the time to farm the hardmode dungeon for advanced spells and guns and hammers because the Golem is such a wuss. They could just beat him with their Phoenix Blasters and move on, 5 minutes after beating Plantera! It is a very rude awakening for players who skip over better equipment for one boss fight to find themselves severely underpowered against the endgame. It's frustrating and completely avoidable!

~~~ The Solution ~~~

Make the Golem more difficult!

I have a few ideas for how to beef up the fight, but the specifics aren't important. Just having him be harder to kill, through any means, would be a huge improvement and make the experience of playing Terraria much more enjoyable for players everywhere. With that said, I'll list a few of my ideas and any other ideas I find that I think are good!

-
Have the Golem shoot Stynger Bolts
He uses the Golem Fist, doesn't he? Why not the Stynger as well? Stynger Bolts fired from the Golem would cause havoc in the confined space of the Lihzahrd Temple, with their splash damage and shrapnel that does more splash damage!

- Make the Lihzahrd Temple's traps, spikes, and pressure plates mineable only with the Picksaw

Having to fight the Golem whilst dodging spears, spikes, and flames would make the fight much more dynamic by adding extra things to avoid. The Golem's fight is unique in that you're given a very specific, limited area in which to fight him; having certain areas of that already small space made off-limits by traps would really stress the uniqueness of the fight and the fact that you aren't in control of this arena. Plus, that damage the traps would do to the Golem wouldn't throw off the balance of the fight terribly since they would also do damage to the player.

- If you know a cool idea to make the Golem stronger, let me know!

~~~ Conclusion ~~~

Sure, the Golem may look a little like a doofus, and sure, we may like having an easier boss, but the Golem needs to be buffed and the solutions aren't that complicated! Help support this goal to make the Blockhead of the Jungle a Majestic Guardian whom the player must tear down in order to access the endgame. Support Glorify the Golem by spreading the word and bringing the problem to the attention of the devs!

Here's to you buddy. :golem: Help is on the way.

Disclaimer: I'll make a banner for Glorify the Golem if it gets enough support. I have massive respect for the creators of Terraria and all the work they do. Thank you guys so much! I don't think I know better than you; I just found something I think should be fixed and want to see how others feel.

This spot reserved for future use! Sorry everyone who was looking forward to having the F1R5T P05T ;)

Support. I agree that the Golem is FAR to easy, and really like your ideas to make him more difficult. They are fair and creative, and you presented your Ideas with strong evidence and rationality, and the thread is organized and professional. Support!

Golem's got like what, four attacks? Lasers, fireballs, fists, and mad hopz. All of which are the easiest things in the world to dodge, and do negligible damage to someone in decent armor. So yeah, buff that guy. It's a little embarrasing, considering that I consider Plantera to be somewhat too powerful to defeat with my no preparation, balls to the wall strat, but then Golem takes about a minute of simple as all hell strafing to kill, yet the two bosses go hand in hand. ( I generally consider them to be in the same tier, as there is nothing preventing you from killing Plantera and running in to do Golem immediately after.)

So, yeah. A few ideas, courtesy of myself.

1. So, you currently kill his head, then his body. I suggest making killing his hands mandatory before the head can be killed. However, after the hands are killed, make them detach and become rocket powered to constantly ram the player. The rocket fists can be killed, but revive after a short time.

2. Buff his actual attacks. Way more damage, all around. Make the laser attacks into a quick burst attack, and make the fireballs larger, and give them smart bouncing, and more velocity and make Golem fire them faster.

3. Give 'im some new ones. A few:
  • Stynger bolts, like you said. After his hands have been destroyed, allow his handless arms fire out shotgun bursts of bolts, basically carpet bombing anyone not in the air.
  • Energy pulse. Basically, the flying head in the last phase will let out an energy pulse if the player gets close, which tosses them toward the Golem's body and cancels their flight timer, forcing them to land or grapple.
  • Golem stomp. Similar to the stomp attack of the Biome Mimics, essentially. However, this releases a few sparks that travel in straight lines, occasionally taking 90 degree turns, meaning players have to keep far away from the attack at all times.
4. Situational stuff: So, basically, he's very easy to kill by building up an arena around his room. No more building on naturally placed Lizhard walls, m'kay? Additionally, fighting him outside the Temple gives him the ability to summon giant fire pillars under the player, just to make him that much harder to cheese.

Well, that's all I have to say. I've always hated what a scrublord Golem was, so I think this'll be good.

Golem's got like what, four attacks? Lasers, fireballs, fists, and mad hopz. All of which are the easiest things in the world to dodge, and do negligible damage to someone in decent armor. So yeah, buff that guy. It's a little embarrasing, considering that I consider Plantera to be somewhat too powerful to defeat with my no preparation, balls to the wall strat, but then Golem takes about a minute of simple as all hell strafing to kill, yet the two bosses go hand in hand. ( I generally consider them to be in the same tier, as there is nothing preventing you from killing Plantera and running in to do Golem immediately after.)

So, yeah. A few ideas, courtesy of myself.

1. So, you currently kill his head, then his body. I suggest making killing his hands mandatory before the head can be killed. However, after the hands are killed, make them detach and become rocket powered to constantly ram the player. The rocket fists can be killed, but revive after a short time.

2. Buff his actual attacks. Way more damage, all around. Make the laser attacks into a quick burst attack, and make the fireballs larger, and give them smart bouncing, and more velocity and make Golem fire them faster.

3. Give 'im some new ones. A few:
  • Stynger bolts, like you said. After his hands have been destroyed, allow his handless arms fire out shotgun bursts of bolts, basically carpet bombing anyone not in the air.
  • Energy pulse. Basically, the flying head in the last phase will let out an energy pulse if the player gets close, which tosses them toward the Golem's body and cancels their flight timer, forcing them to land or grapple.
  • Golem stomp. Similar to the stomp attack of the Biome Mimics, essentially. However, this releases a few sparks that travel in straight lines, occasionally taking 90 degree turns, meaning players have to keep far away from the attack at all times.
4. Situational stuff: So, basically, he's very easy to kill by building up an arena around his room. No more building on naturally placed Lizhard walls, m'kay? Additionally, fighting him outside the Temple gives him the ability to summon giant fire pillars under the player, just to make him that much harder to cheese.

Well, that's all I have to say. I've always hated what a scrublord Golem was, so I think this'll be good.

Thanks for your support and suggestions! When I have a little more time I'll read through your ideas more finely and add any I really like to the main post. I especially like not being able to build on non-player placed Lihzahrd walls. This prevents people from just putting blocks over pressure plates, even if they can't mine them. Thank you very much!

I feel that Golem is WAAAAAYYYYY too easy. I had a lot of trouble trying to beat Plantera on my first try, and I beat him after many more attempts. After beating her, I went into the temple and spawned in the Golem, just to see what he was and how he attacked. I beat him first try. No buffs. Pre-Plantera gear. Easy as pie.

This is why he needs to be buffed.

But I also feel that he doesn't just need to be buffed, I think that the whole Lihzard Temple needs to be buffed and given more pazaz, cause that's a word.

The Golem, and the Temple he lives in needs an overhaul to give it more cool stuff, like the dungeon. I feel like the Lihzard Temple needs to be more like the dungeon. More traps, more enemies, a better boss, more interesting chest loot, more interesting in every aspect. The Temple needs to be more unique, as currently it is very lacking, with 2 enemies and an extremely easy boss.

This was a great post.

I feel that Golem is WAAAAAYYYYY too easy. I had a lot of trouble trying to beat Plantera on my first try, and I beat him after many more attempts. After beating her, I went into the temple and spawned in the Golem, just to see what he was and how he attacked. I beat him first try. No buffs. Pre-Plantera gear. Easy as pie.

This is why he needs to be buffed.

But I also feel that he doesn't just need to be buffed, I think that the whole Lihzard Temple needs to be buffed and given more pazaz, cause that's a word.

The Golem, and the Temple he lives in needs an overhaul to give it more cool stuff, like the dungeon. I feel like the Lihzard Temple needs to be more like the dungeon. More traps, more enemies, a better boss, more interesting chest loot, more interesting in every aspect. The Temple needs to be more unique, as currently it is very lacking, with 2 enemies and an extremely easy boss.

This was a great post.

Thank you for your input! Unfortunately you're 100% right; it's not just the Golem, but the entire Lihzahrd Temple that needs to be strengthened. @SzGamer227 has an amazing thread about improving the Lihzahrd Temple; be sure to check it out!

Thank you for your input! Unfortunately you're 100% right; it's not just the Golem, but the entire Lihzahrd Temple that needs to be strengthened. @SzGamer227 has an amazing thread about improving the Lihzahrd Temple; be sure to check it out!
I did, I basically just summed up all of the problems with the Lihzard temple that he stated that I agree with. :)

I think the golem's design is inherently very flawed, so he'd need a complete re-design.

His attacks all have a very clear range of effect; Right arm only attacks to the right and left only attacks to the left, and trough a very limited range too.
He also is heavily reliant of the traps in the temple; so much so that if you mine them out he falls like a fly.
And of course; he's hindered by the environment, something that's almost not there for most of the bosses, which makes exploiting him incredibly easy.
Not to mention he looks incredibly stupid.

The golem would need a complete overhaul To be honest, almost a complete replacement; with some of the ideas intact.

Also, i'm new here, so i have no real reputation; but i believe i have enough experience to know what i'm talking about.

My humble suggestion here, but what if the Golem was allow to trigger traps within a 3-block range of where he landed?

To put this into better perspective, both of the Golem's "feet" are 4 blocks wide. When he jumps and lands, any Pressure Plates are activated where he lands and within 3 blocks of his feet. That makes it so he has an effective trigger range of 17 Blocks (3 Blocks away from right foot, 4 for the right foot, 3 right underneath him, 4 for the left foot, 3 away from the left foot). To balance this, he could only trigger traps on the same horizontal row he's on. As for his Expert Mode buff, when the Head leaves the Body, the Golem becomes immune to Traps; This includes his Fists.

Again, my humble suggestion. Like the idea a lot.

I completely agree, the golem needs to be buffed. One seemingly small thing that I think would actually make a big difference, is fixing his punching attack. Right now, when the golem punches all you need to do is hit the fist with ANY attack and it will retract immediately. This makes the golem pretty much have no way of hurting you early on in the fight.

I guess the Golem was supposed to be hard due to the traps put around the room, but most players can easily destroy them with any pickaxe. I think they should be changed so you can only mine them with a Picksaw or higher, so Golem has to be defeated first. Also make him immune to traps, so people won't use them against him. His loot is too rewarding for a fairly easy boss like him.

Another thing I'd change would be his arms. You can block them by simply attacking them. It shouldn't happen, at least in Expert Mode.

Also I'd give him more attacks for Expert Mode. The Expert HM bosses feel really rushed.

I disagree, Golem is fine as it is. What people don't need to forget is that there'll always be a first time when you encounter a boss and it'll most of the time be hard, unless you've been preparing yourself through wiki reading and youtube watching. You don't know the boss' abilities and moves. I am sure many people died the first few times they fought Golem. I sure did.
The video says nothing. If you're good at dodging you can pretty much take everything in the game down with a wooden yoyo. It just takes a longer time.

Now after you know what Golem is up to, yes, ofcourse it'll be an incredibly easy boss, but in my experience this is the case for every boss in the game, heck, for every boss in every game. You study their attacks, learn how to counter them and the boss won't ever be a challenge again, unless you suffer from memory loss.
If Golem would be buffed then players new to the game might have an exceptional hard time fighting it.
And for the challenge hungry there's always expert mode. (If Golem is too easy there as well, then that'd be a different story in my opinion.)

The one thing I do agree with is the traps bit. It's been said before in the past and I agreed with it back then as well. It's silly that one can simply disable all the traps with a low level pick. Both traps and pressure plates should indeed only be removed by the Picksaw and higher tier picks.

I fully support. The golem is just way too easy. The fireball attacks do barely any damage, and the fist can just be blocked with almost any weapon.

Full support. He is as, as tallstar says, "The Gatekeeper of the Endgame". His attacks are all slow and easy to see from a mile away, including the lazers. I play mobile and in mobile edition the view frame is not even a quarter of the size of the pc 1080p view so you have to stay relatively close to him but he is still a breeze. I feel like there are two ways of spicing up the battle other then giving him more attacks.

1) Minions, something fast moving and hard to hit that deals decent damage if you don't pay attention to them. As for what would fit in thematically I have no idea. His traps should also take a larger part in the fight but all you need is some low tier pickaxe and the biggest obstacle in the temple is gone.

2) Some sort of Shield/Attack Reflector. He is thematically a heavy tank boss but he doesn't need to just stand there and take hits, giving him the ability to reflect projectiles with his fists or being invulnerable to damage for a short while during which previously mentioned minions or traps rip you up would be great.

Overall I would say that golem needs a HUGE buff. I would not even put him at the same tier as Plantera, I have had some harder battles with the twins.

I do think this is a good idea, golem has to be way up there on my favorite bosses list and can be beaten pretty easily and adding a little more challenge to him would add a bit more fun and excitement

I guess the Golem was supposed to be hard due to the traps put around the room, but most players can easily destroy them with any pickaxe. I think they should be changed so you can only mine them with a Picksaw or higher, so Golem has to be defeated first. Also make him immune to traps, so people won't use them against him. His loot is too rewarding for a fairly easy boss like him.

Good idea, but even if you can only mine the traps with Picksaw, you can still cut the wiring.

Good idea, but even if you can only mine the traps with Picksaw, you can still cut the wiring.

Solution: Lihzard Wires, can only be broken by the Lihzard Wire Cutter (From mechanic after golem, +2 range?). Lihzard Wire could become available from the Mechanic after golem is killed.

Back
Top Bottom