• From the Painter NPC

Votes: 17 47.2%
  • Paint + Gold Dust recipe

Votes: 19 52.8%

• Total voters

gardenapple

Steampunker
As simple as that.

The Painter should sell Luminiscent Paint when the player enters Hardmode. If you paint a block with it, it will give off white light, but the block's color won't change.
However, you can combine it with other paint (except for Shadow and Negative, for obvious reasons) to create colored Luminiscent Paint! The block's and the light's color will change accordingly.
The light is not really bright - slightly darker than Glowing Mushrooms. If you want torch-like brightness, you have to use Deep Paint colors.

Alternatively, you can combine 50 Paint with Gold Dust (beceause everybody hates single-use materials). Let me know which recipe is better in the poll!

Last edited:
this would certainly be interesting, might give me a reason to attempt to paint the world to make it always at least a little bright lol

supported

You can achieve the same effect by placing gemspark walls behind blocks.
That doesn't exactly work in the middle of a large room with only platforms.

Anyway, I support this. It would be great for making more atmospheric buildings and adventure maps, and could even be useful for finding ores by painting blocks inside walls. I like it.

That doesn't exactly work in the middle of a large room with only platforms.

Anyway, I support this. It would be great for making more atmospheric buildings and adventure maps, and could even be useful for finding ores by painting blocks inside walls. I like it.
In those situations you can just use them as walls, or you could use another light source like torches. It might not be as flexible, but at least it wouldn't require adding a glowing version of every paint in the game.

Wow that's one heck of a revive! I thought this thread died a month ago.
I feel like that's more of a glitch than an intentional feature. Walls shouldn't give off light if they are covered by tiles IMO.
It might not be as flexible, but at least it wouldn't require adding a glowing version of every paint in the game.
24 types of Dresssers would like to talk with you. And besides, there isn't even that much sprite work to do. It's not like every paint is unique or anything.

I can understand that implementing this in the game engine might be a bit tricky, but hey, they did implement stuff like Actuators and slopes, so this shouldn't be that much of an issue.

I'll be first to call the obvious Necro Armor in this thread... :p
Anyway, I like the idea. Paint is so underdone, and underrated.

Would definitely be nice for builders. There's a lot of issues with torches or many light sources fitting the exact aesthetic of buildings where otherwise there would be none. I support this because it would really give builders a bit more freedom with how they want to build, and you could probably create lighting shades of effect with dimmer areas in the house that should be dim in certain light situations rather than everything being bright as possible. I really do like this idea. Hope it gets added in. =3

This paint would be great, however, I think that negative Luminescent paint should give off white light, and have the added effect of inverting the color of any object in its light radius. Additionally, Shadow paint could simply darken everything in its radius. Also, the paint should always give light as a torch, rather than as a mushroom.

As far as I can tell gemspark walls don't give off their own light.

EDIT: I was wrong. It was a fcking bloodmoon and it made it hard to tell. My mistake.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom