Weapons & Equip A Magic Weapon That Inflicts the Midas Debuff

5BC64C64-22B5-4822-9114-71E41B39C428.png

0204DAC3-61BF-430E-886A-B9DA8BD42D16.png

The Midas debuff is pretty helpful when you are running low on funds. It causes inflicted enemies to drop more coins upon death and can be applied by using a Flask of Gold or Golden Bullets. The only issue is that there is no way for a magic weapon to inflict this debuff. This doesn’t line up with most of the other Flasks and Ammo which have a corsponding Magic Weapon that inflicts the same debuff (Flask of Ichor, Ichor Bullets, and Golden Shower for example). To fix this I think a new Spell Book should be added to the game that allows magic users to inflict the Midas debuff. It could be crafted with a Spell Tome, 8 Souls of Light, 8 Souls of Night, and 40 Gold Dust. As for the the weapons attack…​
The spell tome fires a beam of gold dust that smart bounce (bouncing towards the nearest enemy) upon contact with solid blocks. The beam can smart bounce twice and have infinite piercing (though with a rapid damage drop-off per pierce), but the duration of Midas that it inflicts is unaffected for how many enemies it pierces.
I hope you like this idea and thank you for reading!:dryadhappy:

Last edited:
If you want an alternative way for magic weapon to apply midas debuff, then maybe a potion for that to be more in line with the other midas sources, instead of straight up a whole weapon for free debuff might be better?

Um, thats not a "problem". A weapon that inflicted the midas debuff would be way too OP and has not been added for a reason
How would it be overpowered? I haven't given it any stats or an attack pattern meaning it could do garbage damage and just be a way to apply the effect. It's also obtained at the beginning of Hardmode, just like the flask and bullets, and would be harder to obtain than the other options because the recipe I proposed requires finding the wizard and getting souls. Also in many ways, this weapon would be underpowered compared to flasks and bullets which can be used with endgame gear like the Zenith and SDMG. It would require switching back and forth between your primary weapon and the Spell Book which causes you to deal less damage. The only thing I can think of that makes this overpowered is the cost, which with the recipe I proposed would be 11 Gold and 80 Silver. If that's the problem the amount of Gold Dust needed to craft it could be increased to something like 250 Gold Dust, raising the total cost to about 50 Gold. If it's something else you could have explained what you think makes this OP and given a possible fix or alternate solution like @Talerax did. Giving negative feedback without any sort of explanation or solution is poor constructive criticism and not helpful.

If you want an alternative way for magic weapon to apply midas debuff, then maybe a potion for that to be more in line with the other midas sources, instead of straight up a whole weapon might be better?
To me, that just feels like creating a type of flask just for Magic and doesn't line up with how Magic players normally apply debuffs, which is with a secondary weapon like the Golden Shower, Cursed Flames, Venom Staff, etc. A new potion could work but I think what I have proposed lines up better with what's in the game.

Last edited:
The Midas debuff is rather weak considering how it basically nullifies special bullets and flasks. A magic weapon to inflict Midas would be a nice addition to the game indeed.
Here's what I'm thinking of: the spell tome fires a beam of gold dust that smart bounce upon contact with solid blocks. The beam can smart bounce twice and have infinite piercing (though with a rapid damage drop-off per pierce), but the duration of Midas that it inflicts is unaffected for how many enemies it pierces.
This felt like a good implementation to me as it is even more capable of crowd control than the Golden Shower does, especially on the ground, and does not require you to also be on the ground with the ground enemies to be effective in applying debuff. This would make it a lot more practical to apply Midas in events without much penalty, such as a lack of flasks and special bullets.

The Midas debuff is rather weak considering how it basically nullifies special bullets and flasks. A magic weapon to inflict Midas would be a nice addition to the game indeed.
Here's what I'm thinking of: the spell tome fires a beam of gold dust that smart bounce upon contact with solid blocks. The beam can smart bounce twice and have infinite piercing (though with a rapid damage drop-off per pierce), but the duration of Midas that it inflicts is unaffected for how many enemies it pierces.
This felt like a good implementation to me as it is even more capable of crowd control than the Golden Shower does, especially on the ground, and does not require you to also be on the ground with the ground enemies to be effective in applying debuff. This would make it a lot more practical to apply Midas in events without much penalty, such as a lack of flasks and special bullets.
Perfect! Sounds like a unique attack that would work well at inflicting a large groups of enemies. I’ve updated the original post with your description of the attack.

To me, that just feels like creating a type of flask just for Magic and doesn't line up with how Magic players normally apply debuffs, which is with a secondary weapon like the Golden Shower, Cursed Flames, Venom Staff, etc. A new potion could work but I think what I have proposed lines up better with what's in the game.
That's true, never thought of it that way.

Actually, when you put it like that, there are very few sources of midas compared to other debuffs that can be obtained in similar ways (flask/bullet).

Last edited:
Um, thats not a "problem". A weapon that inflicted the midas debuff would be way too OP and has not been added for a reason
How would it be overpowered? I haven't given it any stats or an attack pattern meaning it could do garbage damage and just be a way to apply the effect. It's also obtained at the beginning of Hardmode, just like the flask and bullets, and would be harder to obtain than the other options because the recipe I proposed requires finding the wizard and getting souls. Also in many ways, this weapon would be underpowered compared to flasks and bullets which can be used with endgame gear like the Zenith and SDMG. It would require switching back and forth between your primary weapon and the Spell Book which causes you to deal less damage. The only thing I can think of that makes this overpowered is the cost, which with the recipe I proposed would be 11 Gold and 80 Silver. If that's the problem the amount of Gold Dust needed to craft it could be increased to something like 250 Gold Dust, raising the total cost to about 50 Gold. If it's something else you could have explained what you think makes this OP and given a possible fix or alternate solution like @Talerax did. Giving negative feedback without any sort of explanation or solution is poor constructive criticism and not helpful.

@Aceplante, You have been asked here why adding such a weapon would be way too overpowered, and you haven't given an answer, making it impossible for me or anyone else to understand your reasoning.

You also said that "thats not a problem" What are you referring to as 'not a problem'?

You said that such a weapon hasn't been added for a reason. How do you know that such a weapon hasn't been added for a reason? When did the developers consider this idea, and what was their reason for not adding it?

I like this idea! I also like the suggestion made by @CursedSliver for how the weapon could function. I'm still going to make my own concept for it, just because I think it's fun.

Bullion Book
24 Magic Damage
Weak Knockback
6 Mana
Crit Chance 4%
Very Fast Speed
'Curses foes to loosen their pockets'

Fires an invisible beam towards the cursor that pierces all enemies but doesn't go through blocks. Every time the beam makes contact with an enemy, that enemy is inflicted with Midas for 5 seconds. As long as an enemy has Midas from this weapon, they are surrounded by a "golden curse" particle that pulses outwards from them once per second. This particle doesn't do any damage, but any enemy that does not have the Midas debuff who is touched by the particle will also be inflicted with the curse, allowing it to spread rapidly through groups of enemies.

View attachment 402120
View attachment 402121
The Midas debuff is pretty helpful when you are running low on funds. It causes inflicted enemies to drop more coins upon death and can be applied by using a Flask of Gold or Golden Bullets. The only issue is that there is no way for a magic weapon to inflict this debuff. This doesn’t line up with most of the other Flasks and Ammo which have a corsponding Magic Weapon that inflicts the same debuff (Flask of Ichor, Ichor Bullets, and Golden Shower for example). To fix this I think a new Spell Book should be added to the game that allows magic users to inflict the Midas debuff. It could be crafted with a Spell Tome, 8 Souls of Light, 8 Souls of Night, and 40 Gold Dust. As for the the weapons attack…

I hope you like this idea and thank you for reading!:dryadhappy:
Lucky Coin.

Lucky Coin makes enemies drop money when damaged.

Lucky Coin can be crafted into Coin Ring, and later the Greedy Ring.

this wasn't me trying to just say "screw your idea" I was just pointing out the fact we already have something like this, but an accessory.

Lucky Coin.

this wasn't me trying to just say "screw your idea" I was just pointing out the fact we already have something like this, but an accessory.
Lucky Coin works differently than the Midas Debuff, and it's also really rare. It doesn't really overlap with this as much as you think.

Lucky Coin.

This suggestion is about adding adding a Mage equivalent to Golden Flasks and Golden Bullets. The Lucky Coin doesn’t fill that role. It behaves very differently to the Midas debuff and can also be stacked with the Midas debuff.

You have been asked here why adding such a weapon would be way too overpowered, and you haven't given an answer, making it impossible for me or anyone else to understand your reasoning.
Its the midas debuff which allows easy coin farming. At least currently, the balancing factor is it requires 5 gold dust and the imbuing station (which according to the wiki is only 17 silver??? and its TWENTY MINUTES?? youre literally guaranteed to make that back ten times over in that time)

You also said that "thats not a problem" What are you referring to as 'not a problem'?
The fact that there is no weapon that inflicts midas. Good. That would be severely unbalanced and allow even more coins from all enemies, as if the flask wasnt bad enough.

You said that such a weapon hasn't been added for a reason. How do you know that such a weapon hasn't been added for a reason? When did the developers consider this idea, and what was their reason for not adding it?
Hopefully IF they considered this, the reason would be that its OP as heck. That is the reason it shouldn't be added.

In conclusion, make the midas flask 5 minutes instead of 20.

@Aceplante Thank you for further explaining what you meant here; now I understand more about where you are coming from. What you bring up feels very relevant to what needs to be considered while designing a weapon like this.

This seems like a cool idea.
Those of you saying its OP,

Tax collectors cane
Lucky coin
Flask of gold
There should be one of these for Every class, if you ask me.
(The pirate staff and the coin gun should make enemies drop coins)

In conclusion, make the midas flask 5 minutes instead of 20.
Did a QoL/anti-grind feature kill your family? The point of the Midas debuff is to help you farm money. The majority of your money is going to be going into the goblin's gambling hell, meaning that how much money you need for a playthrough can vary wildly based on pure luck. With character A you'll get half your weapons with ideal prefixes right off the bat, while with character B you'll need to reforge everything you find fifty times for decent prefixes. In addition, the Midas buff is mutually exclusive with all other flasks. By using it, you're trading a direct gameplay advantage (damage debuffs) for an indirect one. And on top of that, most enemies don't drop a lot of gold to begin with. A significant chunk of your money is going to come from sold loot or various kinds of treasures.

Not everything in the game needs to be "balanced" into uselessness.

Did a QoL/anti-grind feature kill your family? The point of the Midas debuff is to help you farm money. The majority of your money is going to be going into the goblin's gambling hell, meaning that how much money you need for a playthrough can vary wildly based on pure luck. With character A you'll get half your weapons with ideal prefixes right off the bat, while with character B you'll need to reforge everything you find fifty times for decent prefixes. In addition, the Midas buff is mutually exclusive with all other flasks. By using it, you're trading a direct gameplay advantage (damage debuffs) for an indirect one. And on top of that, most enemies don't drop a lot of gold to begin with. A significant chunk of your money is going to come from sold loot or various kinds of treasures.

Not everything in the game needs to be "balanced" into uselessness.
The midas flask can be really powerful in higher difficulties when a single zombie drops 5 1/2 silver
You get 2 gold on your first night

The midas flask can be really powerful in higher difficulties when a single zombie drops 5 1/2 silver
You get 2 gold on your first night
You need to be in hardmode to craft the flasks of gold. You're not going to have them on your first night. And if you are in hardmode, you have much more effective ways to farm gold. That applies to prehardmode too, honestly. Even if it did give a huge income boost, all it would do is reduce grinding. It doesn't give any direct gameplay advantage, like gear that you can't otherwise access at that point in the game.

Back
Top Bottom