Items Golden Keys crafted into Soul Keys

Congrats on another brilliant suggestion. It's true that a great deal of items have short life spans. If recipes could re-purpose old items then player get to experience the volume of content for longer. Terraria does seem to coerce the player to small amounts of specific items for progression at stages of a play through.

I like these types of threads when they use a logical step for making our pointless cache of items relevant. The thing about Gold Keys is you can't even sell them for coins... I mean, isn't gold part of a commodity which makes up their currency? NPCs are just trying to screw us over, like when they "accidentally let the zombies in".

Personally I don't think this idea is a great as your unblending one with axes, but it's good.

But then we have to go into the Dungeon and farm golden keys on super weak mobs... this is one suggestion of yours I cannot support.

This would only make RNG worse. You only need to farm a little bit in the underground Crimruption/Hallow to get a Mimic, while on your suggestion you must also use the Dungeon. Not everyone have tons of Golden Keys spare, and they most likely quit the Dungeon as soon as they get all of the items (or even the good ones like Cobalt Shield, Muramasa and Handgun).
This bad RNG also stacks with the fact that you will need multiple Mimics until you get the desired items. Golden Keys aren't common (nor rare). Souls of X are common.
Sure, it's easy to farm for Keys of X, but changing the recipe won't make it any harder, it will just take longer and more boring..

Golden Keys drop rarely from pre-Plantera Dungeon enemies, which are largely replaced by harder enemies post-Plantera. This will make obtaining them much more difficult after Plantera is defeated. Similar to Tally Counter and Nazar.

Sorry, but while I like the idea, the methods of obtaining Golden Keys will be too tedious post-Plantera.

(My personal preference is for the Blue/Hell/Rusty Armoured Bones to also have a chance of dropping Keys, Tally Counters, etc. But that's a discussion for another thread.)

Having the hardmode dungeon mobs drop pre-hardmode stuff is one solution. The Nazar grind is insane after Plantera..

This idea is to give more use to golden keys- imagine if it was this originally, would you be suggesting that the key should be taken out of the recipe?

Maybe. It makes sense logically to have golden keys in the recipe, but it doesn't make sense to have the player backtrack to the dungeon for the sole purpose of farming more keys to summon a single unrelated mini-boss.

Maybe. It makes sense logically to have golden keys in the recipe, but it doesn't make sense to have the player backtrack to the dungeon for the sole purpose of farming more keys to summon a single unrelated mini-boss.
Players might have a lot of left over keys still, and the biome mimics can also spawn naturally.

I'd much prefer a key involved if it meant less souls. If you don't feel the player should need a key, do you feel they should require a chest? I think mimics, keys, and chests are related.

I'd much prefer a key involved if it meant less souls. If you don't feel the player should need a key, do you feel they should require a chest? I think mimics, keys, and chests are related.
Technically they already need a chest... The Soul Key is put into an empty chest to make the mini-boss. (Having said that, I probably misunderstood what you were trying to say.)

I agree with the idea of the Key being in the recipe. But I don't like how they can be hard to obtain post-Plantera.

Players might have a lot of left over keys still, and the biome mimics can also spawn naturally.

Honestly, I don't really like having to get another chest to summon it, but I can overlook that since it's kind of cool to take a normal chest and mutate it into a monster that you have to fight. It'd be fine as long as you still have keys left over from the first time you visited the dungeon, but those can run out pretty quickly if you have bad luck with the mimic drops like I did and there's one item that you really want. I guess I'm kind of neutral on this idea right now, if golden keys had more uses and more ways they could be obtained after the dungeon though, then I'd support it.

If all else fails the drop rate of the golden keys could increase post plantera to compensate for the decreased density of the pre hardmode skeletons.
Technically they already need a chest... The Soul Key is put into an empty chest to make the mini-boss. (Having said that, I probably misunderstood what you were trying to say.)

I agree with the idea of the Key being in the recipe. But I don't like how they can be hard to obtain post-Plantera.

seeing as how golden keys have pretty much no use after you open all the golden chests, I support this suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom