NPCs & Enemies Golem Expert/Master mode rework

Should the debuff 'Suspended' be added in Terraria?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lava Strider

Terrarian
I think that most players can all agree that Golem as a boss is not that difficult -- and can be considered as underwhelming. The new 1.4 changes makes it attack faster with more players present in Expert, and that he can now pass through blocks. The former change is barely noticeable in a single player playthrough.

I propose that Golem could give the player a debuff called Suspended [name in WIP]. This debuff will disable flight for the duration the player has it. It's similar to Frozen and Stoned, but the player can still move, attack, and jump.

This debuff could be given to players when Golem touches the ground after he takes a high jump. If possible, players will also fall down from platforms, ropes, or grapples (just after the jump, players can still do those things even if they have the debuff). The duration could also change depending on how close or far they are from Golem. i.e. players near Golem will have the debuff longer, or the otherway around and viceversa.

This change will make it harder for player to fight Golem in a tight space. It will also make a some form of arena be required when attempting to fight it.

Just going to chime in and say I don't like forcing arenas. I prefer to fight Bosses in as freeform as possible if possible. A bunch of different elevated, long run platforms does not appeal to me and doesn't make things more challenging. Just eats up more time.

I don't think Suspend would make players play that much differently. Just reading that I already came up with ways around that, which I won't list.

Instead of forcing players to play a certain way/style why not change the AI to make it more challenging?

Just going to chime in and say I don't like forcing arenas. I prefer to fight Bosses in as freeform as possible if possible. A bunch of different elevated, long run platforms does not appeal to me and doesn't make things more challenging. Just eats up more time.

I don't think Suspend would make players play that much differently. Just reading that I already came up with ways around that, which I won't list.

Instead of forcing players to play a certain way/style why not change the AI to make it more challenging?
Hmm... maybe Golem could periodically spawn tiny totems, which could be destroyed, that attacks players.
The tiny totems could surround the Golem, whilst shooting smaller lasers at the player.
Or they will summon around the temple, then after a short period of time, will shoot themselves towards the player.

Hmm... maybe Golem could periodically spawn tiny totems, which could be destroyed, that attacks players.
The tiny totems could surround the Golem, whilst shooting smaller lasers at the player.
Or they will summon around the temple, then after a short period of time, will shoot themselves towards the player.
I quite like the idea of totems, since they give the player something additional to deal with, a little like how Tesla Turrets distract from the main force and the saucer. You could have them be damaging, or you could have them act like Wither Beasts, decreasing the player's stats so the main fight is harder.

In terms of Suspended, I agree that the mobility afford by wings (and the Black Spot/other flying mounts! Don't forget those) makes him a lot easier than bosses like Plantera. He's always been limited by being stuck pretty much inside the temple, and the room is large enough that I've never had a need to lead him away. That being said, restricting a specific feature, i.e. flight, is usually a poor choice, since it artificially limits the strategies people can use.

Speaking of area control, though, what if he employs similar mechanics to the probably-disabled-already traps? Having him toss spiky balls can make it more difficult to land, for example.

I quite like the idea of totems, since they give the player something additional to deal with, a little like how Tesla Turrets distract from the main force and the saucer. You could have them be damaging, or you could have them act like Wither Beasts, decreasing the player's stats so the main fight is harder.

In terms of Suspended, I agree that the mobility afford by wings (and the Black Spot/other flying mounts! Don't forget those) makes him a lot easier than bosses like Plantera. He's always been limited by being stuck pretty much inside the temple, and the room is large enough that I've never had a need to lead him away. That being said, restricting a specific feature, i.e. flight, is usually a poor choice, since it artificially limits the strategies people can use.

Speaking of area control, though, what if he employs similar mechanics to the probably-disabled-already traps? Having him toss spiky balls can make it more difficult to land, for example.
Yeah forcing mechanics is a bad approach perhaps for the attacks Golem could have some additional moves based off its drops? For example Perhaps Golem could launch "Possessed Hatchet" analogs which hope in on players in the air not unlike how the Solar pillar discourages flight for that matter perhaps Beatles could crawl out of Golem and attack the player forcing them to the ground justifying why Golem drops those materials. That could be paired up with some other attacks for example the Staff of Earth and Stynger could provide arena control especially if say projectile fragments for Golem linger and only explode when a player touches them (or after a delayed amount of time) you could also perhaps say allowing Golems Jump to bypass block clipping etc.. Imaging Golem launching or flinging boulders at the player for massive damage from Golems fists and or head only for the boulder to roll to a stop until disturbed again like a placed boulder/rolling cactus? Suddenly the floor becomes a lot more dangerous as you might accidentally set them in motion again.

Back
Top Bottom