NPCs & Enemies Golem rework

Is this good?

• YES! This should be a mod! 'Golem Reawakened'! OMG IT'S SO GOOD AAAAAAAAAAAAAA

• Yes, this is nice, an idea for a change to Golem is welcome. Also what's up with them? ^

• It's OK, I don't like the bullet-hell aspect much.

• Yeah, it's ok, I kinda like the bullet hell thing but I don't like the actual fight.

• PWEEZ DECONPLICATE

• NO. This bad.

• I HATE BULLET HELL!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pigman Δ

Retinazer
Golem is still easy + boring + very cheesable. -> :golem:
Even after 1.4.
I don't think he needs a buff. That would only remove one problem (easy).
He needs a mega-rework, and I have an idea for a way to do it.
Feel free to give constructive criticism.

Walkthrough:
Stage 1:
Golem will appear in front of the Altar when summoned.
He will have his current appearance, except the glowing yellow parts will be black, as if he is at low power.
The only vulnerable part is his fists.
Attack pattern:
  1. He will do his punches like normal, except they cannot be reflected and they go through walls.
  2. He will shoot a laser above and to the side of himself. This will create a Lizahrdian Portal (do not let them build up), which can either be:
    1. The most common: a Spear Lizahrdian Portal. Long spears will emerge from it to harm the player for 60/70/80 damage. They go through blocks.
    2. A Dart Lizahrdian Portal; movement-predicting darts (hard to dodge, but not impossible) that harm you for 45/60/80 damage. They can also go through blocks.
  3. He will jump high in the air and Ogre-slam you for 50/65/75 damage.
  4. A fist will glow, before punching you (through walls) doing 100/140/200 damage - however, this attack is easily disrupted: you can hit it while charging and it will take 2000 damage and stop charging- however, for a riskier route, you can hit it while it is actually punching for 4000 damage, and the fist will return to its normal place.
You must be careful of the Portals. Try to destroy the Fists before too many build up.

Stage 2:
Once you destroy both fists, his feet will become vulnerable, and his black parts will glow slightly.
All current Portals will be destroyed.
Attack pattern:
  1. He will Ogre-stomp multiple times, faster than before.
  2. He will jump high in the air, charging up power in his feet, before stomping down with a massive slam hitbox and double the damage of the original stomp.
  3. He will shoot 2 lasers, creating two portals:
    1. Super Dart Lizahrdian Portal: The most common, shoots more precise darts that do 1.1x the damage of the original.
    2. FLAIMTHROWA Flamethrower Lizahrdian Portal: Shoots a long flame trail that does 90/130/160 damage. The easiest to dodge, but the most dangerous.
  4. He will shoot 5 homing fireballs that disappear after 15 seconds.
Again, try to destroy the feet as soon as possible.

Stage 3:
Destroying both feet will activate his final/second-last phase. Again, all portals will be cleared.
His head is now vulnerable and his (wrecked) feet will fall off and rockets will be revealed. His faintly-glowing lights will become full brightness.
Attack pattern:
  1. He will stop Ogre-stomping. However, he will now teleport around the Temple room, shooting at you rapidly with his homing fireballs and powerful, fast lasers. (Himself and all his attacks go through blocks)
  2. He will then teleport above the Altar, and fire 3 portal lasers which can create any of the previous portals as well as one new one:
    1. Spiky Ball Lizahrdian Portal: By far the most dangerous portal, to compliment the Spiky Ball Trap being the most dangerous trap. Fires bouncing, glowing Spiky Balls that do 50/60/70 damage.
  3. He will teleport to your side, wait a second, and then dash at you for 60/70/90 damage.
In Normal mode, bringing the head's health to 0 will kill him. In Expert or Master mode, he will enter...

OVERDRIVE:

In his final stage, his head will detach. His glowing yellow parts will start flashing red, and his body will be vulnerable. Hovering over his body will display Overdrive Golem and hovering over the head will display Overdrive Drone.
The OVERDRIVE phase serves as a more chaotic version of the 3rd stage.
Attack pattern:
  1. First, the body will perform Stage 3 attack 1, except even faster.
  2. Then, it will perform Stage 3 attack 3, again faster.
  3. He will then teleport above the Altar and blast lasers at insane speeds. This is your chance to attack!
  4. While this is going on, the Head will slowly shoot Portal Lasers, creating any of the portal types.
The body does not have very high HP, so as not to make the last phase too hard.

What do you think? Did I overcomplicate it? Is it too hard? Please leave opinions!

Last edited:
OOPS IM SO STUPID i pressed enter too soon $-_-
One second I'll finish it

Ok that took more than a second oops :dryadtongue:

Last edited:
Or it could be super powerful, but with a catch. On the sprite, there will be a little power meter. As he attacks, the meter goes down. Upon emptying, it’s defense will lower, and it will hold in place until the meter restores, making it vulnerable. However, Lizhard will spawn.

Or it could be super powerful, but with a catch. On the sprite, there will be a little power meter. As he attacks, the meter goes down. Upon emptying, it’s defense will lower, and it will hold in place until the meter restores, making it vulnerable. However, Lizhard will spawn.
That's also a good idea.

Angry Bones said:
nice idea maybe a bit too much but with the amount of gear you have then
However in my mod that I eventually plan to make (like a few yrs time) i will probably add this and more bosses between plant and golem so...

Whoa, did that one suggestion of mine inspire this? If not, I probably look pretty silly right now, but if so, that’s awesome.

I love the mechanical depth and tests of multitasking this rework has! It really would make him much more unique and fun!

Whoa, did that one suggestion of mine inspire this? If not, I probably look pretty silly right now, but if so, that’s awesome.

I love the mechanical depth and tests of multitasking this rework has! It really would make him much more unique and fun!
Oh, you mean the cultist suggestion? No, it didn't.

Certainly would be an improvement over the current Golem I like how you incorproated the temple traps into it accounting for how any experienced terrarian is going to have disarmed the temple traps. On a related note I have trying to think of good ways to buff Golem for years I don't want to hijack this but a few fun additions you could apply . If you are interested in my opinion is optional but my input on this might be to incorporate a few more attacks based off Golem's existing drops since that was how I have been thinking about buffing Golem. While after seeing you suggestion it clearly wasn't enough I think it might help with some extra attack versatility. Also might be worth it to add few more drops to give Golem a more class balanced loot pool exchanging them for the normal loot drop slots for the eye of the Golem and sun stone which could be made extra drops like the Pick Saw.

For example rather than creating a normal portal perhaps you could mix in a rarer always vertical portal always shot upwards towards the ceiling which drops a staff of Earth based boulder. (This would work so much better than my original idea where Golem would just throw boulders, this would work way more like the proper boulder traps :D )

A Stynger like explosive attack the initial blast could go though walls but the shrapnel wouldn't.(Might be a good addition for stage 3 and 4? My original idea was just to intermix these with Golem's normal lasers but your portal lasers are brilliant

Then there are the fairly random beetle husks perhaps Golem could get a beetle summoning portal? Mushi Ladybug AI would come in two varieties an ordinary basic one and in the later stages replaced with slightly bigger warp beetles that could teleport to you akin to chaos elementals. (My original suggestion just had beetles spawn out of cracks in Golem's body as it got damaged FYI)

The last would be mostly a cosmetic change but for years I have felt Golem's fireballs could be resprited to look more like a flaming possessed hatchet.

For added loot I got a few ideas from your changes:
Lizahrd Dart Gun-New upgraded dart gun so the Mimic ones can be nerfed back to a more balanced level. :p Could come with Lizahrd Darts which would be sold by the Witch Doctor as long as the weapon is in your inventory thus boosting the number of ranged weapons to two just like melee and magic.

Beetle Staff-Minion Summon staff would call warp beetles to your aid. Mush Ladybug AI with the ability to warp to unreachable enemies. Attacks don't pierce. (My original variant didn't warp)

Golem Idol Staff-Sentry Summon Staff-Summons a mini floating Golem Head which attacks with Portal Lasers of 3 Types Spear, Flame and Spiky ball respectively. Spears can attack through walls but the others can't. Fires portals in sequence Spear, Flame, Spiky ball portals respectively. The sentry can have one of each portal active at once new portals replacing the old of that type. (My original variant had just shot lasers this is far more interesting)

Ideally these would go to give Golem 2 weapons of each class with everything else in its loot pool made into extra drops. As a random thought what if Golem could drop Lizahrd bricks as a possible extra drop to make them renewable? Maybe traps as well or make them craftable at Lizahrd furnace.

What if we could craft a super dart trap with lizahrd bricks and a normal dart trap, a flamethrower trap with lizahrd bricks and living flame blocks, spiky ball trap with spiky balls and lizahrd bricks, and the spear trap with lizahrd bricks and a spear weapon.

What if we could craft a super dart trap with lizahrd bricks and a normal dart trap, a flamethrower trap with lizahrd bricks and living flame blocks, spiky ball trap with spiky balls and lizahrd bricks, and the spear trap with lizahrd bricks and a spear weapon.
Hmm not sure about the last one recipe wise it seems odd to use a weapon to craft a trap. Maybe if there was a craftable wooden spear?

Hmm not sure about the last one recipe wise it seems odd to use a weapon to craft a trap. Maybe if there was a craftable wooden spear?
That's a nice addition, it would do 20 dmg, and be a throwable weapon, similar to the throwing knife. Stacking up to 999, and has infinite piercing. 8% critical chance, and very little knockback. Stops when it hits a block, and has a chance to be recollected.

Back
Top Bottom