Good Epic Fantasy Novels?

Akrasia

Golem
I'm looking for good Epic Fantasy series.
My favorite series at the moment are The Stormlight Archive (Brandon Sanderson), The Wheel of Time (Robert Jordan), The Kingkiller Chronicles (Patrick Rothfuss).
I dislike Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones

Post good series you've read please

David Gemmel is pretty acceptable. I would also suggest a book from his widow, "The City" which is still relatively new.

I would suggest you start from Waylander or the Rigante storyline.

Death Gate Cycle is worth a read. 7 books, huge complex overall world with a bunch of separated worlds that are interconnected, with each of the first four books set in one of the four main worlds, with the other three taking the story all over.

Really captured my imagination when I first read them.

Lost Years of Merlin is pretty good, the main series is five books and the sequels bring the total to eleven. The Shadow Campaigns are also really good, currently two books from the trilogy are out and both encapsulate the glory of massive scale flintlock fantasy on a massive military scale.

My favorite fantasy series by far is the DragonLance series. Its such an amazing world filled with all kinds of adventure and races. I was so hooked on them, I could stop reading. The first book is Dragons of Autumn Twilight If I remember correctly. I highly recommend it. The Wheel of Time series is amazing. <3

Not sure if its really what you're looking for, but there's a great series called Wings of Fire. It takes place on an island called Pyrhhia (its definitely not Earth, there's 3 moons), where the 7 tribes of Dragons rule, and humans (called Scavengers) are almost extinct. The first series (5 books) centers around the 6 Dragonets of Destiny (Dragonets are dragons that aren't adults/matured yet) that are prophesized to stop the civil war of the 3 SandWing princesses for the throne, after the former queen, Queen Oasis, was killed by a scavenger.

Not easily found, but if you can get anything by James Blaylock you'll find gems known but to a few. Some of his stories are among the earliest steampunk, while others are comical looks at classical fantasy with mythical creatures and such.

If you prefer a darker, more dire world you could do worse than seek out the Lyonesse trilogy by Jack Vance, or his Dying Earth stories (those involving the scoundrel Cugel are particularly mordant morsels).

I recently have been reading the Godspeaker trilogy by Karen Mills. Good dark fantasy that actually has some good plot twists in it.

If you want something a bit more lighthearted the Kingmaker, Kingbreaker series by Karen Mills is just that. Lighthearted sword and sorcery that manages to not take itself too seriously.

Not sure if its really what you're looking for, but there's a great series called Wings of Fire. It takes place on an island called Pyrhhia (its definitely not Earth, there's 3 moons), where the 7 tribes of Dragons rule, and humans (called Scavengers) are almost extinct. The first series (5 books) centers around the 6 Dragonets of Destiny (Dragonets are dragons that aren't adults/matured yet) that are prophesized to stop the civil war of the 3 SandWing princesses for the throne, after the former queen, Queen Oasis, was killed by a scavenger.
Ehhh, I read only one book and I can't find the rest, I want to finish them so bad!

I would recommend the Eragon series, basically the best books ever!

The Beyonders trilogy by Brandon Mull is good as well as the Ranger's Apprentice by John Flanagan.
If you enjoy sophisticated or unique magic systems (like the ones Sanderson incorporates in his novels), read Lightbringers series by Brent Weeks.
You should perhaps try Lord of the Rings again because it is somewhat similar to the first book of the Wheel of Time, which is one of my favorites series too.

I liked the Mistborn series by the same guy you mentioned, Brandon Sanderson, I don't really know how much anyone else likes it so I might get hate but whatever.
Hate? What is to hate about the Mistborn series? Although it might not be the best series ever, it is indubitably a notable series; it is fast-paced and has brilliant action scenes. Many people like it, really.

I have two I am currently on. One is manga, the other (really good) fanfic

http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/gate-thus-the-jsdf-fought-there-r5353/
Brief summery: What if a fantastical world collided with ours? Well, stuff. Stuff happens. Dragons vs fighter planes, olden battle armies vs. firarms, kings men vs. artillery. Mages learn new techniques by studying modern science, scientists study magic, etc. And as a bonus: Cat girls, physiologically damaged elves, and main characters who don't suck in the brains department. The series is ongoing(mixed feelings about this, I wanted it to be finished so I had all of it at once, glad it's still going as there's more every month(updates ~once a month))

http://hpmor.com
Brief summery: It's harry potter(year 1) fanfic. Buuut insanely awesome. All your favorite characters are around but the world is different. This isn't one of those fanfics that just change one thing in the original story and go from there, this changes many and it's a completely different world as a result. It feels familiar enough that you'll be comfortable but it's not just some clone where longbottom is the chosen hero instead of harry. It's also ongoing but the story appears to be wrapping up soon

BONUS:
http://www.scp-wiki.net/
Careful with this one guys and gals. A lot of very good quality here but some of it will leave you looking over your shoulder or afraid to sleep with your feet uncovered at night. Entire site is a writers playground.

I recently have been reading the Godspeaker trilogy by Karen Mills. Good dark fantasy that actually has some good plot twists in it.

If you want something a bit more lighthearted the Kingmaker, Kingbreaker series by Karen Mills is just that. Lighthearted sword and sorcery that manages to not take itself too seriously.

These, and Black Company by Glen Cook. Take a complicated world at war from Game of Thrones and write from the POV of a small group of military mercenaries who not only find themselves trapped as pawns in a war between warlords who are effectively demigods, but find that the history of their Company (as distorted as it is after 100s of years) may be the most important secret of all.

Just... read it. I really can't say enough. I stumbled on it waiting for more from Karen Mills after the Godspeaker Trilogy.

And Mistborn from Sanderson was amazing. Who knew HE would be the God of the world?? That plot twist!! :)

Ehhh, I read only one book and I can't find the rest, I want to finish them so bad!
Here are the names of the rest of them so you can look them up.
1. The Dragonet Prophecy
2. The Lost Heir
3. The Hidden Kingdom
4. The Dark Secret
5. The Brightest Night
6. Moon Rising
The seventh isn't out yet. It'll be out in June/July. The name will be Winter Turning.

Back
Top Bottom