Good Epic Fantasy Novels?

Well, how can you dislike LOTR!?

But anyway, I enjoyed the inheritance series. They where quite cool.

Honestly, I think I would've thrown Merrin and Pippin into the volcanoe first for singing so freaking much. Drove me CRAZY.

Here are the names of the rest of them so you can look them up.
1. The Dragonet Prophecy
2. The Lost Heir
3. The Hidden Kingdom
4. The Dark Secret
5. The Brightest Night
6. Moon Rising
The seventh isn't out yet. It'll be out in June/July. The name will be Winter Turning.
I thought, there was only 3... Well I will probably be referencing this in the future, thank you!

I recommend Ridley Scott's Peter Pan series and possibly Narnia.

Though they might not count since both have earth as a setting at one point of another.

I liked the "His Dark Materials" trilogy by Phillip Pullman. I read the whole thing multiple times several years back.

I would recommend Robin Hobb (all of her books!) , and David Gemmel (all of his books!)... Both of them are absolutely epic..
Also GOT Is really good... Haven't finished it yet though @-@

IO don't no if you would count this as fantasy, but it is called Ready Player One. It is pretty good, but again don't know if it is fantasy

The inheritance cycle, His Dark Materials and its prequels, and the Septimus Heap series are all pretty good.
Terry Pratchett's Discworld series has some good novels, although they are quite short compared to others, and they don't all follow a series, as it were.

As someone mentioned above the Dragon Lance series is really good. I would recommend starting with the original chronicles.

The Shadowdance series by David Dalglish is one of the best fantasy series I've read in awhile.

It tells the story of a boy named Haren who is raised by his father Thern Felhorn a master thief and the best in the underworld of Veldaren to be a master thief like his father until he breaks free of his father's strict control and uses the skills he has been trained in his whole life to bring justice to the City of Veldaren by killing the worst thiefs and murders that the underworld knows.

It also throws in 2 religions that worship 2 different brother Gods and the followers of these religions use different types of magic. Between this the Trifect, other Thief Guilds, and the King of Veldaren. It holds all types of excitement. Its easy to read, you'll fly through the pages if you can get your hands on this series.

I can recommend:
Harry Potter (you've probably read it already)
Robert Jordan's books (he's Brandon Sanderson's mentor if I'm not mistaken though Brandon Sanderson is a better writer IMO), he starts well and then gets boring (10+ 800 page volumes)
Cassandra Clare's books (pretty much a "Twilight" universe, but the stories are actually good, it's a light read with action and teen heroes).
Also, Elantris from Brandon Sanderson is really awesome. I think, one of his best.
Well, how can you dislike LOTR!?
The characters have a definite tendency to walk around a lot and there aren't really any superhero powers involved, so that might be it. I mean, I haven't found it to be the very best fantasy book but I can't say I didn't like it either.

I can recommend:
Harry Potter (you've probably read it already)
Robert Jordan's books (he's Brandon Sanderson's mentor if I'm not mistaken though Brandon Sanderson is a better writer IMO), he starts well and then gets boring (10+ 800 page volumes)
Cassandra Clare's books (pretty much a "Twilight" universe, but the stories are actually good, it's a light read with action and teen heroes).
Also, Elantris from Brandon Sanderson is really awesome. I think, one of his best.

The characters have a definite tendency to walk around a lot and there aren't really any superhero powers involved, so that might be it. I mean, I haven't found it to be the very best fantasy book but I can't say I didn't like it either.
Not every interesting book has to involve super powers...

Not every interesting book has to involve super powers...
I didn't say it did, realistic books also have very interesting topics, I was just trying to expose a reason for which you may not like Lord of the Rings. Plus, the fact that the main character is overpowered by the other beings and has to think solutions to get out of a troublesome situation you cannot directly fight is one of the strong points. The scene with the escape in the barrels in the hobbit is exactly that. These are the pluses.
In the mistborn series, the main character has the power to push metal away so she can throw coins and propel herself off coins in a very awesome way.
Those are two different kinds of action, which may please or not. I like both.

I second 'His Dark Materials" from Phillip Pullman, 'The Chronicles of Narnia' from C.S. Lewis and Rick Riordan books (Percy Jackson and Kane Chronicles).

Back
Top Bottom