Who wants a throwing class similar to my idea just posted

• Yes

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 6 85.7%

• Total voters

Slapow

Skeletron Prime
I know the idea of a throwing class has been brought up before, but there doesn’t seem to be a need for it. Well, if yo-yo’s were added to the new class instead of being in melee, then it wouldn’t be to bad. Yo-yo’s are hardly melee items and the melee class is already large enough with a wide variety of weapons. Yo-yo’s are meant to by “thrown” anyways. A few new sets of armor or possibly new variants of in the game armor could be added. End game armor and weapon options should be available end game, similar to the Celestial Pillars. Any option for crafting could be use a little bit of each pillars’ fragments for the items. Another option would be to add a new boss, around the duke fishron skill level. This would be an especially good beginner class due to low health/armor and wanting distance away from enemies. To make it unique from ranged, throwing items/weapons would have higher damages and DPS, as they cannot be modified. Accessories would also be really helpful; weapons like grenades/knives would receive large buffers because they can’t be individually upgraded. These are just a few simple ideas and could definitely be added on to. This class would make a great addition to the game and offer even more variety and fun for old and new player. Please take this idea to thought!

I don't really see the point.
Nothing that you suggested really adds new mechanics or gameplay.
Especially if you just move weapons from other classes into it you really aren't adding anything.
Like what does turning yoyos into thrown weapons accomplish? Grenades feel exactly the same in 1.4 as they did in 1.3 despite changing class.

For a sec I thought you meant giving up school...

But honestly, I have to agree with qwerty. Furthermore, I don't want another "half finished" class like summoner. Summoner feels in many ways like an after thought, more like a variation on Mage, and often falls behind progression or has to deal with arbitrary limiters to their progression.

I mean, you would need to design tons of new armour, have to deal with the fact that you can run out of your actual main weapon and other issues. You would need to work with the fact that there aren't that many throwing weapons even after the change you suggested.
And I don't think we would get that many accessories, weapons or armour, again, comparing to summoner.
Ultimatively, it will probably just end up being worse than both Melee and Ranged, considering stuff like aiming, lack of modifiers, actual depletion of your weapons, etc.

If it actually get's fleshed out, I probably would like it more, but how you currently suggest it, it's just not worth it, especially if the Devs only do the bare minimum. (Not saying they will, but I prefer keeping my expectations low)

But honestly, I have to agree with qwerty. Furthermore, I don't want another "half finished" class like summoner. Summoner feels in many ways like an after thought, more like a variation on Mage, and often falls behind progression or has to deal with arbitrary limiters to their progression.
I strongly disagree with summoner being a "unfinished variation of mage".

Summoner is the most well designed deep class in the game. Sure when it was added way back in 1.2 there was quite the lack of content, but it had a good foundation. Minions were unlike anything in the game that existed at that point. A permanent minion that dealt damage alongside your main weapon.

Now that was years ago, virtually every major update since then has expanded on that and added more summoner items. 1.4 added whips which still fit with the summoner class thanks to their synergies with minions (we don't talk about the cool whip).

Now in modern 1.4.2 terraria you have a wide selection of minions, then on top of that you have whips which interact with different minions in different ways, and some whips give melee speed to buff other whips. On top of that when you mix summoner with another class you have some interesting build decisions like "Should I use the pygmy necklace for some extra passive damage? Or the ranger emblem to boost my main weapon."

Is there still some issues with summoner? Yes, some of the older minions kinda suck, and it's weird that we only have 1 whip armor (and it's ridiculously broken), but that's really not any worse than the other classes. With melee 80% of swords feel unusable, and spears were basically untouched since summoner was added. Ranged has a ton of ammo but only like 2 or 3 actually gets used per subclass, and rocket launchers only ever use mini nukes. Mana economy accesories are useless 90% of the time because for 90% of weapons your penalty for mismanaging mana is a tiny damage reduction every once in a while.

The thrower class on the other hand never had a good foundation. It never added any new mechanics, in fact when it was 'added' in 1.3 most of its weapons used to be ranged weapons. All it did was take away stuff from the ranged class, and for what? Even if it was expanded what sort of mechanics could it bring that couldn't have just been added to range or melee.

I see what you mean, but at the same time still somewhat disagree (although, admittedly, the "variation of Mage" part is not totally fair, I stand at unfinished though)
However, this would be a whole other can of worms to open, and would be a bit off topic, we can gladly discuss this somewhere else, but currently, it's not my point.

My basic point is, that because we already have a case of an at the very least unpolished class, and that like you said, with a more or less solid foundation. Then of course your point of it being that throwing as it's own class doesn't have a solid foundation, and I think that we agree that the class, without fleshing it out, probably won't work.

For a sec I thought you meant giving up school...

I mean, you would need to design tons of new armour, have to deal with the fact that you can run out of your actual main weapon and other issues. You would need to work with the fact that there aren't that many throwing weapons even after the change you suggested.
And I don't think we would get that many accessories, weapons or armour, again, comparing to summoner.
Ultimatively, it will probably just end up being worse than both Melee and Ranged, considering stuff like aiming, lack of modifiers, actual depletion of your weapons, etc.

If it actually get's fleshed out, I probably would like it more, but how you currently suggest it, it's just not worth it, especially if the Devs only do the bare minimum. (Not saying they will, but I prefer keeping my expectations low)
True, but this is only a start and i wrote it before school. The class would also introduce many more useful weapons, some with different abilities.

I strongly disagree with summoner being a "unfinished variation of mage".

Summoner is the most well designed deep class in the game. Sure when it was added way back in 1.2 there was quite the lack of content, but it had a good foundation. Minions were unlike anything in the game that existed at that point. A permanent minion that dealt damage alongside your main weapon.

Now that was years ago, virtually every major update since then has expanded on that and added more summoner items. 1.4 added whips which still fit with the summoner class thanks to their synergies with minions (we don't talk about the cool whip).

Now in modern 1.4.2 terraria you have a wide selection of minions, then on top of that you have whips which interact with different minions in different ways, and some whips give melee speed to buff other whips. On top of that when you mix summoner with another class you have some interesting build decisions like "Should I use the pygmy necklace for some extra passive damage? Or the ranger emblem to boost my main weapon."

Is there still some issues with summoner? Yes, some of the older minions kinda suck, and it's weird that we only have 1 whip armor (and it's ridiculously broken), but that's really not any worse than the other classes. With melee 80% of swords feel unusable, and spears were basically untouched since summoner was added. Ranged has a ton of ammo but only like 2 or 3 actually gets used per subclass, and rocket launchers only ever use mini nukes. Mana economy accesories are useless 90% of the time because for 90% of weapons your penalty for mismanaging mana is a tiny damage reduction every once in a while.

The thrower class on the other hand never had a good foundation. It never added any new mechanics, in fact when it was 'added' in 1.3 most of its weapons used to be ranged weapons. All it did was take away stuff from the ranged class, and for what? Even if it was expanded what sort of mechanics could it bring that couldn't have just been added to range or melee.
I agree, and I am saying that we need more new mechanics. It would be amazing to have a good use for it and players want to use it. It would obviously need to be largely expanded than it is now.

It's a no for me. Moving weapons around and introducing obvious armor bonuses will not bring the class back. Yoyos are thrown, but the point of the throwing class is to throw a weapon towards the enemy. Yoyos don't fit in that and have limited range. Not only that, but there are no armor or weapon introductions. At the start of Hardmode throwing weapons are nigh useless. It's very unclear how you are going to introduce a new throwing system. This idea of yours does not incorporate the uses and benefits of melee and ranged(in some way was the previous way the class worked). I'm going to need to examples and reasoning to vote yes.

Back
Top Bottom