Working as Designed Graphical bug? - Strange light effect on minimap.

Xakk

Eye of Cthulhu
Steam or GOG
Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Single
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
I've noticed a strange effect where it looks like light will pass entirely through solid blocks for the purposes of map revelation. This is very obviously different from when light particles pass through blocks. I have no idea what causes this, the only reason I know it's happening is perusing the map later. It seems to happen mostly at the surface and underground, but I found the most notable example at the cavern layer. Screenshots attached.

20200618105105_1.jpg
20200618105536_1.jpg

Is there a specific tool you're using that puts out a large, dim aura of light? It could also be from monsters.
I have to admit this does look extremely strange, though. I don't think this has ever happened to me.

Even a tool that puts out light shouldn't pass through all solid blocks, this is definitely a bug of some kind.

I've noticed a strange effect where it looks like light will pass entirely through solid blocks for the purposes of map revelation. This is very obviously different from when light particles pass through blocks. I have no idea what causes this, the only reason I know it's happening is perusing the map later. It seems to happen mostly at the surface and underground, but I found the most notable example at the cavern layer. Screenshots attached.

View attachment 279268View attachment 279269
it looks normal to me, but when I see the underground, the long lines, that has to be something going through blocks to see, some examples are like jester arrows, fire arrows.

There is a very noticeable difference, as I noted in the OP, between the appearance of light particles going through blocks and this. You can see several instances in both pictures of normal light particles, in the first picture, the ones from falling stars, and in the second, several places where I used jester arrows to look. What I'm referring to are the dim diamond shapes in which you can see large areas of solid block. I definitely don't know any items that can achieve this.

Some things in the game spawn particles which can go through tiles... could this be causing the issue? I'm not sure how bright some of them are, but I know for a fact that one can easily use something like the Slime Mount to reveal an area below the player.

The way the light stops abruptly in your first screenshot suggests it is a projectile of some kind, though I'm unsure what. If it was an enemy on fire, the lighting would be more scattered and brighter. I'll check my maps and see if I have anything similar… might help narrow down what could cause it.

This looks to me like it was caused by light-generating dust falling through the ground.

I'd be curious to see what specifically caused it, but I don't see this as definitely a bug at all.

It's not light particles, the shape is too symmetrical. It really looks light a light source with a really high range that ignores solid blocks. In the second one you can see it it perfectly diamond shaped.

An update, I have seen it occur a few more times, and have ruled out the snake bottle item as a possible cause. I'm starting to suspect it might be caused by coins on the ground.

I posted this bug a few months ago. It was an effect where for some reason light would be shed through solid blocks in a wide range but only show on the minimap.
20200723053211_1.jpg

Like so. Nobody could figure it out so I decided I'd keep an eye on it. Finally I caught one only a few minutes after it happened. The spot I was in (a cabin) I didn't do anything different then normal except for one thing : I used my mirror. When I looked at the other locations I saw these it seemed to match up to places I would have used a mirror before, so I suspect that this glitch is caused by using a mirror, maybe it removes the darkness layer for a second before returning to home. Specifically, I use an Ice Mirror.

I posted this bug a few months ago. It was an effect where for some reason light would be shed through solid blocks in a wide range but only show on the minimap. View attachment 295650

Like so. Nobody could figure it out so I decided I'd keep an eye on it. Finally I caught one only a few minutes after it happened. The spot I was in (a cabin) I didn't do anything different then normal except for one thing : I used my mirror. When I looked at the other locations I saw these it seemed to match up to places I would have used a mirror before, so I suspect that this glitch is caused by using a mirror, maybe it removes the darkness layer for a second before returning to home. Specifically, I use an Ice Mirror.
Hey @Xakk - I've moved your new thread into the existing one here so we don't have a duplicate. Best to keep related issues all together :)

Actually, I remember encountering something like this on the 3DS version. It happened when I used several teleporters in a row too quickly. Maybe your computer lower end and isn't updating the lighting in time?

Glad I found this thread, I had the same thing happen to me before 1.4.1, and left me scratching my head wondering how did this happen. I had taken a screenshot, lemme see if I can find it.

Just to note though, it happened really early in the game for me, so that rules out pretty much every light generating weapon in the game. If it is really due to lighting, then my best bet would be recall potions or magic mirrors.

I just replicated this with a magic mirror, so that's confirmed. Also I'm not sure the flair for this post is appropriate - I don't think devs intended for magic mirrors to act as an xray through blocks.

Back
Top Bottom